Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if some are using the Firehowks 500, can you give me some feedback, much appreciated, thinking of getting some. Thanks Dom.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Seem to recall @JohnInNH & @jodedor both having a set of FireHawk 500's.
I never had them.

I had considered getting them since the cost is much less than my 4S's and MWH (now enthusiast POV) had them and liked them. But after such excellent results from the 4S's I'm not going to risk being stuck with a tire I may not like as much.

I'll be getting the 4S's again unless I can be talked into getting the Indy 500's.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I never had them.

I had considered getting them since the cost is much less than my 4S's and MWH (now enthusiast POV) had them and liked them. But after such excellent results from the 4S's I'm not going to risk being stuck with a tire I may not like as much.

I'll be getting the 4S's again.
Ah I remembered you looking at them at some point, so was taking a shot in the dark think you may had picked up a set.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I just bought them (for the rear) and literally delivered ~30 mins ago. Hopefully I can get them installed tonight.

Yunier (enthusiast pov) had a quick review on them in YT.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought them (for the rear) and literally delivered ~30 mins ago. Hopefully I can get them installed tonight.

Yunier (enthusiast pov) had a quick review on them in YT.
He has 275/40/18.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
He has 275/40/18.
To wide for my liking. Harder to get even wear, hydroplane easier, and tricky to fit. They don't fit my rims anyway.. just IMHO. 255 is plenty wide. Look at the size on the G37IPL.. I like 255's myself on my AWD.

Oh, 4S's are bidirectional and Firehawk Indi 500's are not. Another reason I like the 4S's.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To wide for my liking. Harder to get even wear, hydroplane easier, and tricky to fit. They don't fit my rims anyway.. just IMHO. 255 is plenty wide. Look at the size on the G37IPL.. I like 255's myself on my AWD.

Oh, 4S's are bidirectional and Firehawk Indi 500's are not. Another reason I like the 4S's.
I'm going with 255/45/18. He also has 18"x 10" wheels, he picked up up the Volk.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts

Indy 500 are asymmetric non-directional tires.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought you're looking for general feedback, not specific to the tire size you need.
My question was to see what you guys thought about them, we just got talking about what other people have on their cars, all is good.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
My question was to see what you guys thought about them, we just got talking about what other people have on their cars, all is good.
i'll give you some preliminary feedback later. It's being installed right now.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Indy 500 are asymmetric non-directional tires.
I said that at the end of my post. 😉 It was another reason I like the 4S's being bidirectional for more rotation options. (Right to left in addition to front to back.) I do the front to back and swap sides. 4S's do have an inside & outside so are not really symmetrical. Just make sure they are mounted correctly on your rims. I've had a shop make that error so I check when mounted.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I said that at the end of my post. 😉 It was another reason I like the 4S's being bidirectional for more rotation options. (Right to left in addition to front to back.) I do the front to back and swap sides. 4S's do have an inside & outside so are not really symmetrical. Just make sure they are mounted correctly on your rims. I've had a shop make that error so I check when mounted.
That's the thing, both FFI 500 and PS4S are asymmetric. You can put them on any corner as long as the outside / inside are correct and both have the same rotation options. You said FFI 500 aren't.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
That's the thing, both FFI 500 and PS4S are asymmetric. You can put them on any corner as long as the outside / inside are correct and both have the same rotation options. You said FFI 500 aren't.
I stand corrected then. I thought they had a "V" in the tread pattern. 🙄 oops

Thanks for bringing this error to my attention.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I stand corrected then. I thought they had a "V" in the tread pattern. 🙄 oops

Thanks for bringing this error to my attention.
Np man, it's all good.

@mapleDom - so here's my initial impressions:
  • Quiet. Same average dB level as Falken Azenis FK510 (~80 dB @40mph, as measured by my phone app FWIW) - I think my Contis ECS noise is overpowering and that's all making this noise.
  • Softer sidewall / ride than PS4S and FK510 - it's not just because I moved from 35 to 40 profile, I actually tried flexing it by hand. FK510s were significantly tougher.
  • Good lateral grip so far but I can feel the softness (I haven't pushed it to the limit yet). It's not swaying or anything.
  • I'll defer my 0-60 time after >100 miles and see if it has improved or remained the same
  • No rain or wet road yet

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Np man, it's all good.

• Quiet. Same average dB level as Falken Azenis FK510 (~80 dB @40mph, as measured by my phone app FWIW) - I think my Contis ECS noise is overpowering and that's all making this noise.
  • Softer sidewall / ride than PS4S and FK510 - it's not just because I moved from 35 to 40 profile, I actually tried flexing it by hand. FK510s were significantly tougher.
  • Good lateral grip so far but I can feel the softness (I haven't pushed it to the limit yet). It's not swaying or anything.
  • I'll defer my 0-60 time after >100 miles and see if it has improved or remained the same
The indy sidewall is about the same as ps4s. I had both.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Np man, it's all good.

View attachment 92684 View attachment 92685
Thanks, I'm getting them installed in the morning. And let you know what I think also.(y)

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
@mapleDom imperssions post instsll.

@jodedor since you have had both pros n cons of both. If I don't lose wet/dry traction going to the Indi Firehawk 500's it would be nice to save some $. I have no complaints with the 4S's so am leary changing to the Firehawk's. How well did they balance? The 4S's needed only a few weights and are very smooth yet very responsive.

I'm close to needing new tires so am open to your feedback and impressions.

Jodedor which would you buy again regards of price?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts