Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The indy sidewall is about the same as ps4s. I had both.
Not in my experience, I've had PS4S before Falken. The ride on PS4S is stiffer.

EDIT: I felt I should be more clear. While the ride on the PS4S is as stiff as the FK510, the FK510 sidewall is still stiffer than PS4S. FK510 > PS4S > Indy 500 in terms of "feel" , not ride quality, in my observation.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If I don't lose wet/dry traction going to the Indi Firehawk 500's it would be nice to save some $. I have no complaints with the 4S's so am leary changing to the Firehawk's. How well did they balance? The 4S's needed only a few weights and are very smooth yet very responsive.

I'm close to needing new tires so am open to your feedback and impressions.
Moving from PS4S to Firehawk may be a bit of a let down on both dry and wet grip. PS4S may still be marginally better - that is, until you factor in the price.

Oh and the wheel flange on Firehawk feels like it's a joke compared to PS4S, if that matters to you.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
@mapleDom imperssions post instsll.

@jodedor since you have had both pros n cons of both. If I don't lose wet/dry traction going to the Indi Firehawk 500's it would be nice to save some $. I have no complaints with the 4S's so am leary changing to the Firehawk's. How well did they balance? The 4S's needed only a few weights and are very smooth yet very responsive.

Jodedor which would you buy again regards of price?
I would buy the re71r.

Buy the one that gives you peace of mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have the on my R32 GTR and will be putting them on my new wheels for the RS when they are done being coated. I have had zero issues with them, and even in wet conditions they dont worry me with the power of the skyline.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I went from a 245/40/19 Ohtsu FP0612 in the rear to a 275/40/19 Indy 500 in the rear. Initially I thought all of my traction problems would be erased but I can still get sideways on launches. I have to disable EWG connectors for 0-60 runs. I don't lose traction making a left turn and giving gas out of my neighborhood anymore though, that's a plus. I've heard for the price point, the new Federal 595 Pros have more grip. Not upset with my purchase, possibly was thinking they would fix all but not quite

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@mapleDom imperssions post instsll.

@jodedor since you have had both pros n cons of both. If I don't lose wet/dry traction going to the Indi Firehawk 500's it would be nice to save some $. I have no complaints with the 4S's so am leary changing to the Firehawk's. How well did they balance? The 4S's needed only a few weights and are very smooth yet very responsive.

Jodedor which would you buy again regards of price?
Hey, John, just got back, they are on, only drove ten miles, so far so good, the noise level is better, and they stick very nicely, let you know more after three or four hundred miles.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I went from a 245/40/19 Ohtsu FP0612 in the rear to a 275/40/19 Indy 500 in the rear. Initially I thought all of my traction problems would be erased but I can still get sideways on launches. I have to disable EWG connectors for 0-60 runs. I don't lose traction making a left turn and giving gas out of my neighborhood anymore though, that's a plus. I've heard for the price point, the new Federal 595 Pros have more grip. Not upset with my purchase, possibly was thinking they would fix all but not quite
I have my eyes on Yokohama Apex V601. It's fairly new and not a lot of reviews are out there yet - mostly promo videos. There's one YT (promo) review which I almost thought was a bit useful until towards the end of the video where he referred to Q60 as "G60." I immediately closed the browser.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Gotta love Tire-Rack, just make sure you don't use them for winter tire reviews. Canadian winters
and US winters are two very different beasts. Hah

Tirerack and Tyre Review channel sold the FK510 to me.

Then a local member here has convinced me to get Indy 500. My RS isn't anywhere close to the power he's putting down on his Q so I thought if it's good enough for him, then all the more it's well suited for my usecase.
Aye Tyre Review channel is awesome.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I could read four different articles, and they have different reviews, that is why I like to ask people that actually have them in their cars.
I was just posting what I received for replies when I asked the same question in my local group. Heres the other replies

Very good street tires and good value, not good for auto x or road course use though.
I've had the Indy 500's on my GTI and Fiesta. They are OKAY for the price but don't expect them to be on the same level as top tier tires.

Also, they have been surpassed by the FK510 and G-MAX RS. Just get whichever is cheapest in your size.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=235[/QUOTE

I put a new set of these on for the summer. Initial feel is great! Hope to get a few more Km's out of these than my RE71R's. @tirebob hooked me up, as always, a great experience.
But after all the inputs, I'm just throwing on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was just posting what I received for replies when I asked the same question in my local group. Heres the other replies
All is good, buddy, I've tried the Pirelli P Zero all season plus, the Conti Sport 3, now I'll give the Firehowks a shot. I got them for $799, they gave me $400 for the conties, so for $400.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
On the comment there regarding FK510 has surpassed Indy 500, I think many enthusiasts will disagree. Not saying either tire is better/worse than the other, they just have different characteristics that may or may not appeal to certain drivers. For example, while FK510 may be better on wet than Indy 500 or has higher rated top speed (Y), it doesn't have the straight line stability of Indy 500. I can't speak for straight line traction of Indy 500 yet but I can say I've had the worst launches on FK510. Roll runs from 40-100mph were consistently >1 sec slower on FK510 than PS4S. I'm not looking for record-shattering numbers but if Indy 500 would get me at least close to PS4S runs I've had, I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I’ve had both FH 500’s and FK510s. I have the falkens currently and they’re not the same as FH 500’s. The Indys were much better at launch, but worse under rain. 265’s indys launch better than 285 fk510 rears. Once they wear though, might be comparable. Both tires and great for the price, can’t go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
hey @mapleDom I've been noticing something weird and I think it's the Indy 500 tires. So I know I went a bit larger than OEM size, thus I expect my actual ground speed would be a touch higher than the speedometer reading. But the weird thing is, as the speed goes faster, both speed radar and GPS readings also increase. At ~40mph, difference is ~1mph, @60-80 2mph, ~100mph ~3mph as measured by Dragy. My radar detector even reads higher @4-5mph difference at 100mph. I don't have proper equipment to test but it seems like the tires are turning into a pizza cutter as I go faster.

Again, it's not really a concern and no noticeable difference in driving dynamics. It's just a weird observation. Let me know if you are able to observe the same or maybe I just got a bad set.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hey @mapleDom I've been noticing something weird and I think it's the Indy 500 tires. So I know I went a bit larger than OEM size, thus I expect my actual ground speed would be a touch higher than the speedometer reading. But the weird thing is, as the speed goes faster, both speed radar and GPS readings also increase. At ~40mph, difference is ~1mph, @60-80 2mph, ~100mph ~3mph as measured by Dragy. My radar detector even reads higher @4-5mph difference at 100mph. I don't have proper equipment to test but it seems like the tires are turning into a pizza cutter as I go faster.

Again, it's not really a concern and no noticeable difference in driving dynamics. It's just a weird observation. Let me know if you are able to observe the same or maybe I just got a bad set.
With the set up that I have, 255/45/18, I know that I'm going 1-2 miles faster then the speedometer reads, I've not had much of a chance to really check them out, mostly city right now, I will let you know.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

You would see a percentage increase with the larger tires. Not an absolute one. At 100mph a 3mph increase is 3%. at 40 a 1.2mph increase is 3%. I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You would see a percentage increase with the larger tires. Not an absolute one. At 100mph a 3mph increase is 3%. at 40 a 1.2mph increase is 3%. I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.
I think you are right. It's one of those brain farts I had last weekend.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts