Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scraped my front driver side rim trying to get close to the **** ticket dispenser at a parking garage today! Man am I pissed!! Now I gotta find a place that can repair it to look just like new. Anyone here ever had curb rash repaired? If so, what was the cost to repair? I'm feeling so bummed out right now :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did, backed up parking and rubbed the curb. The sports 19" wheels are totally unforgiving. I had purchased a package at the dealer that covered appearance items including the wheels for 5 years. I normally don't buy stuff like that but once I saw the low profile wheels I was worried. I bought it back in to them and it looks as good as new. Only bummer was it had to go out to a machine shop which took a few days. The dealer seemingly did both have another rim so it say on a brace for a few days.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Most dealers have a person who comes by the dealership once or twice a week to fix wheels on used cars. They should be able to set you up. We charge customers somewhere between $100-200/wheel, depending on the amount of damage. It's an art, if the guy is good, your wheels will look like new again.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
OUCH.

That's never happened to me but I park my G37 in lots a lot and sometimes you do have to get within inches of those things just to reach them.

It hasn't happened but man, I can't imagine how terrible that must be.

You take any photos at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OUCH.

That's never happened to me but I park my G37 in lots a lot and sometimes you do have to get within inches of those things just to reach them.

It hasn't happened but man, I can't imagine how terrible that must be.

You take any photos at all?
I'm getting ready to turn in my G37S shortly as I've just ordered my new 335i M Sport :cool: :D. I have a guy coming by my house this week to fix my two rear wheels before my end-of lease inspection. I'll take before and after pic's so you can judge for yourself but I expect they'll be like new. He does jobs for Discount tire, Mercedes, etc... and comes highly recommended. He has the local franchise for AWRS Wheel repair here in Tucson.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Something like this happened to me in Austin Texas with my previous car (G37 S). I'm great at parking (learned to drive stick and parallel park in San Francisco) but I simply blew it on this one. Totally my fault but I had just finished driving from ABQ to Austin... so I was tired and done with being in a car.

I was parking in an apartment complex with covered stalls. Each stall had a cement cylinder covering the base of each pole that the G37 S would clear without a problem... except for this SINGLE pole which happened to have a base that was significantly higher than the others (but not something you'd see unless you knew about it already or were paying close attention).

I kind of just drove in to the stall with a cavalier attitude since all of the others were low and then I heard the scraping. The S specific body kit piece was scraped and it was pretty painful :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wheels I have are the 19" sport w/run flat tires. I can't stand even looking at it, let alone take a picture of it. That gunmetal finish on these rims really is unforgiving after curb rash. I found a place here in the Bronx called Dunn Sport. I'm gonna go see them on Fri. Will also call the dealer tomorrow and ask if they do this kind of work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hit. That's why I wish more auto makers provider polished wheels as standard. If you curb rash a polished wheel and if the damage is not too deep, you can repair it yourself with some elbow grease (wet sand and polish).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep...had mine 3 days and I hit the curb going through an ATM, thought I was going to be sick! Dealer has person who will fix it like new for 160. Whew!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, called the dealer and they quoted me $150.00!! Ouch!! I went to this place nearby that specializes in repairing wheels, he quoted me $70 to restore the area that got scraped up. He said, "you won't notice any blemishes unless you get really up close". I didn't quite like the sound of that. He also told me that if I'm not satisfied with the $70.00 job, he'll do the entire rim so that it looks brand new for $150.00. This sucks!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Try calling a few car washes for suggestions too. I had a wheel scrape from one of their guys directing me in too far to the left and scraped up my M alloy wheel a few years back.

They had a guy come to my office and you could never tell there was a scrape. He only touched up one area too. That was just an alloy wheel though - not sure if there are people out there rthat specialize in the type of finish the sport wheels have.

Either way - good luck!

Please post some before and afters if you don't mind. I know it's painful but it would help forum members to see how they turn out. You're not the first and you definitely won't be the last with a curb rash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before / After

I'm getting ready to turn in my G37S shortly as I've just ordered my new 335i M Sport :cool: :D. I have a guy coming by my house this week to fix my two rear wheels before my end-of lease inspection. I'll take before and after pic's so you can judge for yourself but I expect they'll be like new. He does jobs for Discount tire, Mercedes, etc... and comes highly recommended. He has the local franchise for AWRS Wheel repair here in Tucson.
OK, my damage wasn't too bad but I know I would have gotten dinged for it on the lease-end inspection. My "before" pic's aren't the best as I almost forgot to take them before I went to work - had to do a rush job in the garage. Anyway, the guy did a great job!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
That is a good repair. I'd be sick if I damaged the wheels on my Q50. If it does happen, it is great to know there are people that can get them looking brand new again.

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I just did it to mine on Sunday. 4 freaking cameras on that car and I still managed to do something so stupid. I have an appointment to have it fixed on Thursday. On my G37 they charged $150 a rim. I always use the cameras when I parallel park, but even with cameras you can have a mishap, or at least I can.

Reactions: maddsiick and Q602B

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
SON OF A [email protected]#$%^&*

It just happened to me tonight. Another reason never eat fast food/drive thru is because of the ridiculously tight "curb lanes" they make you use for the drive thru lane.

I was stopped at the speaker at a weird angle and when it was time to pull ahead, I didn't realize the rear was so close to their curb. When I heard that sound, I felt like I got kicked in the stomach! It put me in a bad mood all the way home and now I'm kicking myself for it (but I feel like it's likely to happen again eventually.. :( )

Mine isn't that bad--maybe about 1.5"-2" across but that I'll take a photo of it soon and maybe you guys can let me know if I can fix it myself or not. :(

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Same thing with my last night...ugh...Didn't see the curb because of the snow and i went right into it and curbed my front passenger wheel. Sucks!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
:( I guess when it rains, it pours. This morning, driving out of my ignorantly-designed parking garage w/ super tight low curbs. :mad: Rear-driver 19" wheel. That looooong audible scrape was devastating to listen to; fortunately it's not too bad as only the outer edge was damaged & you can hardly see it from a distance. I was actually on my way to the dealership to drop off my car for the DAS reprogramming, so I was able to get quoted @ $150 for them to repair. Sounds terribly expensive to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.