Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Q50 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am brand spanking new to this community so I would love to share my story with you all and also get some MUCH needed advice from the community. Sorry for the lengthy post here but allow me to tell you my wonderful story.....
So I have been researching buying a new car (and by new I mean used) for the past several months and stumbled upon this forum a while back. Needless to say after much research and reading I decided I wanted a Q50 3.0t with AWD. My plans are (were) Get a premium trim AWD, add stage 3 AMS package, Rsr downs, 20”x9 squared setup, Velgen Vmb7’s etc. After saving for a while, last week I was finally ready to make my purchase. I am from Texas so it is very hard to find an AWD Q50. I ended up finding exactly what I wanted in Ohio. So yesterday I took a week off work, braved the Coronavirus, and flew from Dallas, TX to Ohio (PS, thats another crazy story that I will save for my next post. I was the only guy in the airport). I bought the car and had a wonderful buying experience. I started my journey home from Northern Ohio to Dallas TX. Everything was going great, I was loving the car and on cloud nine.......for exactly 3.5 hours. I was driving down the highway acting like a good little boy with cruise set at a classy 4 over the speed limit when all of the sudden the car kinda jerked and acted like it was trying to find the “right gear”. I thought it was strange but it only lasted for a second or two then began to drive normal. Then about 10 seconds later I noticed my battery light came on. Now I know all of you savvy grizzled Q50 guys know what’s coming next. Mind you at this time I had heard of the dreaded belt-o-death but didn’t know all of the details or that the battery light is the first sign. After several minutes the engine light came on. I was obviously upset and saying non-Christian words and phrases aloud. Didn’t know what was going on but the car was driving ok at first with cruise still set. Then it happened, car total lost power and went into limp mode. I pulled over to the side of the road and called the dealership I had just purchased the car from. Now by this time it was 6pm and everything was closed. The salesman was super cool and returned my call on his cell and told me he was not sure what was going on and to try and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and then call Infiniti road side assistance if that didn’t work (car is 2016 CPO with 17,000ish miles). I popped the hood (on the shoulder of the interstate) and found that the entire drivers side engine bay was covered in coolant. I’m not a car tech guru but I know enough to know that it was time to start back with the non-Christian words and phrases. So after 4 hours of sitting on the side of the interstate the Infiniti road side assistance tow truck driver shows up to tow it to the nearest Town and Infiniti dealer which was 45 miles away. When he got there I was informed that he could not let me ride with him due to the COVID crap and I would have to “find my own ride”. I was 1,200 miles from home, 45 miles from the nearest town, and don’t know anyone.......fun. Long story short (yes Believe it or not even this 4 page story left out more crazy stuff) after 2 hours I finally found a single taxi guy willing to come get me for $200. I am now sitting in my bed in a hotel across the street from the Infiniti dealership where my car was towed, and waiting for 8am to come so I can see what my fate will be. Obviously I was up all night searching the crevices of the inter webs and now know that it’s a 99% chance that my belt broke, overheated and it puked coolant. Now my new fellow Q50 brothers, I seek Your guidance.
1. Thoughts on issue. Engine blown?
2. What best steps will be as far as getting Infiniti to help me out with hotel, flight, taxi stuff ($1,000+ so far)
3. Should I have the Infiniti dealership I bought it from fix it, the Infiniti dealership it got towed to fix it, or have the Infiniti dealership I will be using in TX fix it.
Any and all advise is welcomed. Feel free to make fun of my typos (way too long to proofread)

·
Registered
2019 Q50 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW here are some pics I took LITERALLY moments before while getting gas and then right after. I blacked out the dealer name because they have been cool so far and don’t want to give them bad publicity just yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would try to either A) get the dealership you bought it from to come take the car, do the repair, and ship it to you, or B) work out something with your local dealership to do the repair back home. Either way, I'd be surprised if they cover the cost of your trip other than the towing, but if the replace the motor or cover all the repairs and get the car to you, it still works out.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would try to either A) get the dealership you bought it from to come take the car, do the repair, and ship it to you, or B) work out something with your local dealership to do the repair back home. Either way, I'd be surprised if they cover the cost of your trip other than the towing, but if the replace the motor or cover all the repairs and get the car to you, it still works out.
thanks for the input.

I was just reading Infiniti will give me $500 for “trip interruption” if I am 100miles or more from home. Luckily I’m 1,200 lol.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thats cool, hopefully it all works out. At a minimum you could go with the lemon law if a dealer doesn't play with you and contact corporate but I would be willing to be they will resolve it somehow.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Sorry to hear about this incident. You can either work the issues out with the dealership you bought it from or a local dealership in Dallas (e.g. Sewell) - the latter is what I would recommend. I don't know if you can reimburse the expenses you had without a lawyer though.

One burning question I have is, I could see a few CPO AWD models around Houston area, why fly out of state? Is it the price, interior/exterior color?

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Getting it moved to another dealer at this point will be on your dime. Roadside assistance from an auto manufacturer will just get you to the nearest dealership. If the dealer you bought it from has a return policy for used cars which some do, I think I would invoke that if I could - you might have to pay for the car to be hauled back there. In my opinion I think the best you can expect to have happen at this point is the dealer it is at fixes it (the warranty is from Infiniti and they don't really care which one of their dealers does the work as their whole dealer network is wonderful and thoroughly competent), you maybe will get some expenses reimbursed from Infiniti, and you will have to wait there for the car to be fixed and it is your car whether you now want it or not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 17 RS RWD suffered from the same belt issue and symptoms too. I was cruising at around 80 mph on the freeway on my way to work when suddenly the car went into limp mode and the battery light and CEL came on. So, I immediately putt putted away to the nearest exit and took a look underneath the hood and saw the belt shredded into a million pieces with coolant everywhere. I had Infiniti roadside tow my car to my dealership. My dealership, under warranty, replaced the belt, tensioner pulley, coolant, a few other items, and did a leakdown and compressions test on the engine - no apparent damage to the engine. This was at 29,500 miles. I’m now at 74,500 miles, and the issue hasn’t popped up since.

I suggest you just get the work done at the dealership you have it at now. Make aure they do a leakdown and compression test to make sure your engine is okay. Hopefully you pulled over quickly enough as to not let your car overheat too much when it happened. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
@Pokinger - what's going on with your situation dude?

Listened to the Bottle Rockets and thought of you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, OP. Let us know what you ended up doing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hopefully things are alright.. I think if you pulled over on that 1st jerk you could have potentially saved the coolant mess. Either way, Infiniti will do right by you with the car. It's a common failure at this point, they can't act brand new

·
Registered
2019 Q50 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, OP. Let us know what you ended up doing.
ohhhhhh man fellas. Where do I begin. This has been so crazy that most people won’t even believe what I’m about to say but I have documented everything and I will share. Be ready because it’s going to be a LONG story but I assure you it’s worth reading!

Let me go back for a second and give you guys a small piece of information about myself that will be a HUGE deal later in my story. So I am a Registered Nurse and work as a lead on a COVID team. So needless to say I work 100hrs a week and it’s was crazy hard to get a few days off and I had only 4 days to go pick up the car and get it back before I had to start back working. I’ll answer one other question really quick, I went out of state because I looked everywhere here and couldn’t find one that was exactly like I wanted for the price I wanted. Now I see that I should have just been more patient haha.

so first off I’ll say I’m sitting safely at home back in Texas with no car. I have had the craziest 3 days of my entire life....and I’ve had a crazy life so that’s saying a lot. Last time I left you guys I was sitting in a $50 holiday inn in Ohio waiting to see what the heck was going to happen to my car. Well that morning I woke up early and decided to get an Uber so I could meet with the service manager at the dealership where they towed my car the night before. Well because of the Covid stuff when I requested an UBER I saw that there was 0 drivers for the entire city. I sat for and hour waiting to see if any would pop up but no luck. I then called the Taxi guy that picked me up off of the side of the road and he said he could pick me up from the hotel but it would be at least two hours. I said beggars can’t be choosers so go ahead. After about an hour of waiting I decided to check Uber again and whammy! One Uber guy finally popped up and accepted my request. I called the taxi guy back and told him I found an Uber. I got picked up and started chatting with the Uber guy on the way to the dealership and told him my story. When I got to the dealership the Uber guy was super nice and said he felt sorry for me and gave me his cell and told me to just call him if I need a ride anywhere while I was there and he would just pick me off the books and take me anywhere I needed to go. So I went inside the dealership and met with the service guy and he said that they did receive my car the night before and that he would take care of me BUT because of COVID he was running on a skeleton crew and it might take him all day before he could even get a guy to look at it. I asked if my CPO included a loaner car and he said yes BUT they have no loaner cars at that time to give me. He asked where I was from and we started talking more and I told him my story and what was going on. The service guy said he felt sorry for me and that he respected what I do and said that he was going to go talk to his manager and try to figure something out for me. About 2 minutes later he came out and handed me the keys to a brand new Q50 from the lot and told me they were not going to leave a COVID “hero” (I’m not a hero btw lol) stranded and to take the car for as long as I needed. I was very thankful and drove the car back to the hotel to wait. During that drive I called the dealership that originally sold me the car to give them an update. The salesman answered and I started to tell him what was going on and mid sentence he interrupted me and said “he man sorry I’ve got to get off the phone a customer just walked in”. I am a very laid back guy and I used to sell cars back in the day so I was not offended and told him not to worry About it and go sell another car. Little did I know that was the beginning of the shadiest craziness that I have ever encountered. So I went back to the hotel and waited around until about 11. At 11 the serve guy called me back and told me that he looked at the car and indeed it was the the belt that broke and it did A LOT of damage. He said he was not sure how bad the damage would be in the end because he would have to get it running first to determine if there was even more damage to the engine itself. He said he would be more than happy to fix the Car for me but it would be at least a few days before he could even get the parts in. So now I realized I was in trouble because I had to be back at work in 3 days and was going to have to find a way back home. The service guy told me to call Infiniti corporate and tell them what’s going on so they could start getting arrangements to reimburse me for “trip interruption” and in the mean time I could keep the new car they lent me until I figured it all out. I called Infiniti corporate customer services and started talking to a really nice lady who helped me out. We talked for almost 3 hours and I gave her my entire story. She ended up talking to some higher up people and said she got approval to give me double the amount of the usual $500 emergency trip interruption fee so that way I could get a flight and get home in time. She also said that Infiniti wanted to send the car back to the original dealer That sold me the car 150 miles away be they were upset that the car only made it 150 miles and they believed the dealership needed to offer me a different car. She gave me her extension and told me to call my selling dealership and tell them what’s going on and ask them to start looking for me a different car that is similar to the one I had. So I called my dealership and my salesman got on the phone. Rewind here really quick, my dealership was also on a skeleton crew so there were technically no salesman. All of the salesman including the one I was dealing with were actually all managers. I told him that Infiniti told me they were shipping the car back to them for repairs due to the amount of damage and timeframe of it. Before I could say anything else he started Getting super pissed and said they didn’t want them to ship them the car and they needed to keep the car there and fix it. He started saying he knows the only reason they are shipping it is because he believed the other dealership “didn’t want to deal with it”. I told him the Infiniti Corporate people were the ones that told me they wanted to ship it Because they believed that I needed to be switched and given a different car and it was not the other dealerships decision. Well right after I said that the salesman/manger said “hey man I got to go I am about to have a customer. You call the other dealership and tell them we are not taking the Car back” click! Well again I am A very cool headed Person and even though I knew that was a BS thing to do and it was not my job, I called the Other dealership back (The one that doesn’t owe me anything lol) to tell them what he said. This Time I talked to the actual service manger and he was an amazing service manager. He told me that the only thing he cared about was getting me help and making sure I got home. We talked for a while and by the end of it he told me that he believed that the car I was sold had no business being a CPO. He said within 10-15 min of looking at the car he found that the car had been leaking coolant for months and that if that was his dealerships car he would never certify it. He said he has been in the car business for 30 years and any half way decent dealership would take the car back and I undo the deal and find me a different car. He said “But I will do anything you want me to do. All I care about is you. I will fix it for you if you want me to.” So I told him thank you and that I was going to call infiniti Corp back and see what I needed to do. And this is were the story starts getting REALLY good.......

Intermission**

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Might I suggest you break your text wall into organized paragraphs? Your post is very difficult to read as is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
🍿

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And this is were the story starts getting REALLY good.......

Intermission**
Good.....gives my wife and I enough time to make popcorn.............

Ok.....we're back and ready for the 2nd part.......

·
Registered
2019 Q50 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good.....gives my wife and I enough time to make popcorn.............

Ok.....we're back and ready for the 2nd part.......

haha

yes I will break down to paragraphs hah

Stand by fellas!! In a different dealership about to sign paper work for new one!

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Sounds like a breakthrough?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts