Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from my dealer. Test drove a 3.7 and a Hybrid model back to back.

Q50Aggie has already done an excellent and comprehensive review, and so I won't be replicating his efforts. I did want to share a few of my thoughts, however.

1st drive: 3.7 Premium AWD, Leather, Nav, Deluxe Touring, 19" wheels.
-Beautiful cars in person. The lines are striking, the build quality seemed incredibly solid, and the materials on the interior were all top notch
-Much quieter at cruising speed than my current 08 G35x
-No lag whatsoever in the inTouch system, and it seemed relatively intuitive
-Audio sounded crisp and clear, and certainly more bass than my current car. Not the best sounding system I've ever heard, but very capable.
-Acceleration and shifts were very smooth. The car is definitely quick as well. Evolutionary improvement in acceleration vs outgoing model, not revolutionary
-Ride was smooth and quiet, even on the 19" run flats

2nd drive: Hybrid AWD, Nav, 17" wheels
-Noticeably faster and torque-ier than the 3.7. Really impressive, actually
-Trunk was definitely smaller, but would meet my needs (could fit a set of clubs, some racquets, and a kilo of Yayo if needed
-It's a bit strange to press the start button and not have the engine fire up. Will take some getting used to having never drive a hybrid before
-Despite the Edmunds review, and the slalom results, I felt the tires and handling were extremely capable. Took several high-speed corners and the car ate it up and built confidence

Additional Thoughts:
- GET THE 19" WHEELS. The 17s really do the car an injustice, and the 19s really look great
- Despite setting the steering to the sport/heavy mode, I found it still to be light. Almost too light for my liking.
- This thing will need some immediate debadging. The 3.7/Hybrid badges on the sides of the car are hideous. The AWD badge looks like it came off of a 1998 Saturn
- I went in thinking White would be my color of choice. They didn't have a white to look at, but they had a Hagane Blue sport on the floor, and a Black sport outside. Both looked absolutely stunning. The Hagane Blue was a bit lighter than I expected given the photos, but really beautiful. Black just looked bad-ass.

So, not sure if I'm getting a new car at all, but if I were to buy a Q50, it would be this:
- Hybrid
- Nav
- Sport (or 19" wheel package)
- and MAYBE the Deluxe Tech package...decisions decisions

PS. One of the reasons I'm not sold on the tech package is because it forces the Wood interior. I actually liked the 'metal' interior quite a bit better. The wood was much too glossy for my taste.

Feel free to ping me with questions!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice! I actually am jealous he even got to drive both! Darn my dealer! hehe!

Thanks for the input bro! For me, I am actually fine with my config since I dont really feel the need for all those techs and would save me $5000 in the process! I actually love the kacchu trim myself and am not really fond of the wood trim like you!

Did they ever say if the system was updated already given that you didnt experience any lag on the intouch system?

How was engine noise between the two? I wish I could have asked you to take vids of the difference in exhaust sounds between the hybrid and gas version along with the trunk space difference!

Anyways, thanks again for your review man! I am totally jealous! Haha! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's nice that you got to compare the two back to back. The hybrid has the sport suspension and I take it that you didn't notice the additional stiffness. Maybe the 17" wheels counterbalanced some of that.

I've never felt like I had the "need for speed". I'm wondering how I will react to the additional POWER. Will it be as addictive as you guys seem to indicate it is? I guess I will never know until I try it. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good job. I'm jealous that you were able to test
Drive it. Still no word from my dealer as to when they will have a car in to test. Also I like the 19" wheels but when I built my car I didn't have it as an option. Hopefully I can add that on when the 5th gets here

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I've never felt like I had the "need for speed". I'm wondering how I will react to the additional POWER. Will it be as addictive as you guys seem to indicate it is? I guess I will never know until I try it. :D
It's instantly addictive. When you get a quick car, your entire outlook on driving changes. You see traffic holes open up that you know you can jump into without cutting people off and causing trouble. It inspires confidence. You can also merge more quickly and it makes driving less stressful as a result.

When I was forced to drive a 1992 Camry, it was punishingly slow and I had to beg for mercy at every on ramp and stoplight if I needed to re-position. Once I got my G35, the tables turned. At a stoplight and need to be 3 lanes to the left or right when it turns green? Stomp it and make it happen. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
It's instantly addictive. When you get a quick car, your entire outlook on driving changes. You see traffic holes open up that you know you can jump into without cutting people off and causing trouble.
Until someone six cars ahead of you decides to change lanes, look to make sure its clear at the same time you decide to take the hole, then you fly to the hole while he's changing lanes!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Great review - thanks for taking the time to share and post!

Can you elaborate a little more on the steering? You mentioned it felt 'light' to you and I'd like to get a better understanding of what you mean by that. Is it just at low speeds in parking lots or did you get to toss it into a few turns and really put the steering through its paces?

I'm guessing you didn't get any pics of the kilo of Yayo fitting in the trunk right? I often find myself having to unexpectedly stop at Costco on my way back from places so I'd like to know if I can make that fit without too much trouble.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you elaborate a little more on the steering? You mentioned it felt 'light' to you and I'd like to get a better understanding of what you mean by that. Is it just at low speeds in parking lots or did you get to toss it into a few turns and really put the steering through its paces?

I'm guessing you didn't get any pics of the kilo of Yayo fitting in the trunk right? I often find myself having to unexpectedly stop at Costco on my way back from places so I'd like to know if I can make that fit without too much trouble.
The steering is a bit hard to describe. When I say it felt "light", I literally mean that it took very little muscle to turn the wheel, at all speeds. As such, I felt a bit disconnected from the road. I'm used to the string wheel providing feedback when turning, and this just didn't have the same type of feel.

And with the sales guy standing next to me, I did not attempt to get the yayo in the trunk. I think if you're doing occasional Costco runs it will be fine. Extended road trips with lots of luggage? Not so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
PS. One of the reasons I'm not sold on the tech package is because it forces the Wood interior. I actually liked the 'metal' interior quite a bit better. The wood was much too glossy for my taste.

Feel free to ping me with questions!
I'm in the same boat as you, but I love the tech package and dislike the wood trim. If the dealership and/or Infiniti could figure out a way to swap back to the aluminum metalish interior, they would probably have a sale immediately. I have emailed a couple and asked a couple in person, but nobody is budging. The last dealer said probably in a couple months, either Infiniti will have the option or maybe 3rd party would provide that. I looked at other Infiniti cars and looks like thats the norm..if you get upgraded tech packages and whatnot..always the wood trim. It seems like a simple swap out and something they would at least look into for the sale, no?

Sure, I could just save on all the tech package, but thats one of the things that draws me to this car. All that tech isn't really available on other cars.

I was looking at like the TLX, G37. 328i kind of class, it seems to me that the Q50 is really a class above, due to its price and what it brings to the table.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, but I love the tech package and dislike the wood trim. If the dealership and/or Infiniti could figure out a way to swap back to the aluminum metalish interior, they would probably have a sale immediately. I have emailed a couple and asked a couple in person, but nobody is budging. The last dealer said probably in a couple months, either Infiniti will have the option or maybe 3rd party would provide that. I looked at other Infiniti cars and looks like thats the norm..if you get upgraded tech packages and whatnot..always the wood trim. It seems like a simple swap out and something they would at least look into for the sale, no?

Sure, I could just save on all the tech package, but thats one of the things that draws me to this car. All that tech isn't really available on other cars.

I was looking at like the TLX, G37. 328i kind of class, it seems to me that the Q50 is really a class above, due to its price and what it brings to the table.
Regarding your last sentence, that's one thing Infiniti has always been good for, a strong value proposition (bang for the buck).

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
The steering is a bit hard to describe. When I say it felt "light", I literally mean that it took very little muscle to turn the wheel, at all speeds. As such, I felt a bit disconnected from the road. I'm used to the string wheel providing feedback when turning, and this just didn't have the same type of feel.

And with the sales guy standing next to me, I did not attempt to get the yayo in the trunk. I think if you're doing occasional Costco runs it will be fine. Extended road trips with lots of luggage? Not so much.
Thanks for explaining. That's about what I was expecting your response to be. I guess we'll have to try the different adaptive steering settings ourselves and try to find that 'connection'. It's all just the way the system creates that feel by programming back the road feel that is lost by the electronic steering.

Thanks for the info about the trunk size as well. You never know when Costco is going to put a discount for a kilo of yayo into one of their coupon mailers ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regarding your last sentence, that's one thing Infiniti has always been good for, a strong value proposition (bang for the buck).
That is why I am here! My current car is a 2002 CL-S and loved how much came with it and for its price. I am currently shopping the new TLX (waiting on details), Q50 and maybe since G may stick around, might save some money.

I am waiting to see if Infiniti will give us that metal/aluminum trim option on the deluxe tech package, but due to past history...probably not, might have to go 3rd party.

I'm sold on luxury with value.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Typo? - you meant Mayo, right? A Kilo of Mayo!!

Now the Yayo, you can get at Sam's Club!!
Hahahaha!! Good one! I'm glad somebody got that :D. He had mentioned it in his intial post so I ran with it. I'm still waiting to see if the rear center fold down armrest has the same pocket as the G which has served to hide, er um, hold things for people they may not want others to see. Like the first aid kit. Not for me but I've seen posts on G boards about that.

Oh, and I love mayo but I definitely don't need a kilo of it :)

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would some sales reps comment on how all these test drives are happening when I thought Inifiniti banned test drives? Are the dealers just ignoring Infiniti ... and serving the customer about to part with 50k? In the midwest the dealers are saying no tests, but they just got the cars and are still doing the prep. Has Inifiniti approved some dealers or some conditions for tests?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.