Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you going to do your first oil change on your Q50?
1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 or 5000?

I'm thinking 2000 since my dealer give me 1 free oil change.
Than, 5000 for my 2 years free basic maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hmmm...might do the same! What if u dont meet that 1-2K in 6 months where the dealer does an oil change anyway? Is there a shorter time frame I should do the oil change as part of that break in period rule?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The manual states you don't need an oil change until 5,000 miles, and then every 5,000 miles after that.
I agree except your first one should be much earlier. During the break-in period of your engine, all the moving parts inside the motor shed microscopic shards of metal as the parts seat in that time period. I would change as soon as the break-in period is over, 1200-1500 miles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree except your first one should be much earlier. During the break-in period of your engine, all the moving parts inside the motor shed microscopic shards of metal as the parts seat in that time period. I would change as soon as the break-in period is over, 1200-1500 miles.
That is the advice I was given (for the exact reasons you have stated) by a Chevrolet engineer when I bought my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would follow what the manual says. The first oil probably does contain more wear material than normal, but sometimes manuals state that the first patch of oil was specially made and to not change it early.

If there's no mention of it, I wouldn't fault anyone for changing it early for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I kind of operate under the same thoughts as JR69. The sooner the better for a new engine. Motorcycles I always did at 600-800 miles.

Infiniti changed its recommended service interval for 2014. It used to be every 3750 or 7500, depending on driving conditions. Now they're just going with 5000 miles across the board.

If I were leasing the car, I'd probably do every 5-7K miles. If I bought it wanted to own it for a long time, I'd do first one at 2-3K and every 5-7K thereafter.

Reactions: InfinitiPlusOne

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would follow what the manual says. The first oil probably does contain more wear material than normal, but sometimes manuals state that the first patch of oil was specially made and to not change it early.

If there's no mention of it, I wouldn't fault anyone for changing it early for peace of mind.
Manual says:
Your engine was filled with a high quality
engine oil when it was built. You do not
have to change the oil before the first
recommended change interval.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Why not check your oil every month and see if it's dirty than yes change it but per OM change is s/b done at 6 months or 5K miles as stated Q50Aggie also.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Already did a DIY of mine at 500miles :D Right after some spirited driving :D
Switched to Mobil1 Synthetic 5W30. Cost $25 for the oil and $6 for the filter. Took 20 mins. panels have good access.
Is it easy access to the filter and is there clearance? Anyone know the OEM oil? I've never been a Mobile 1 fan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.