Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I decided to upgrade to something a little more fun to drive. After looking at a WRX for awhile I noticed a Q50 sitting in my work parking lot and instantly fell in love with the body style. After doing a little more research and finding out that they are pretty sporty as well I quickly changed my mind on what I was getting. After looking around for about a month I found a 2014 with 62k miles on it for what looked like too good of price. After looking closer the lowered price was do to it having a salvage title. So I called around a bit and got some before and after pictures and eventually pulled the trigger. So I ended up taking it to my mechanic for an oil change and just an overall check up. Luckily(fingers crossed) he gave everything a thumbs up however it does appear that it's in need of an allignment as the tires are wearing off unevenly. I had planned on switching rims out eventually but it looks like that will be sooner than later. I've done some forum searching and some googling but I haven't really found a definitive answer.

TLDR: I want to go down to 18" rims so I can get a little more rubber on there. What are all the max 18" rim and tire size I need to know without doing any modifications. I don't have any immediate plans to do anything else to the suspension or brakes, I just want to get a little more rubber on the road and have a little smoother of a ride. Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

And maybe after I get the size figured out you guys could recommend me a few rims. The ones I picked out are a bit pricey so maybe you guys might know a similar style that are a bit on the cheaper side. I don't need ultra light or anything.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Thanks and to be completely honest I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to anything about this stuff. Altair - M192 - MHT Wheels Inc. these are the rims I was looking at but it doesn't seem like they will fit in an 18 or at least an 18x9.5.
Some things you need to consider is what size tires do you want to use and choose the wheel width based on that. Tire manufacturer's web sites will give recommended wheel widths for the different tire sizes. My 2018 Red Sport came with 9.0" wide wheels with 245 wide tires. Those wheels can easily take a 255 wide tire and maybe even a 265. I'm not sure how wide you want to go since you are considering a 9.5" wheel.

You also need to consider the brakes you have and if the wheel design you want can offer proper clearance for the brake calipers. For my snow tires I was able to go down from a 19" diameter wheel to an 18" even with the car having the bigger performance brakes. Wheel offset also comes into play here besides giving room for the brakes you need to make sure the tires will clear the fender lip and the suspension.

To get an idea what your choices for wheels are (and I don't know your budget), consider looking at https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html or Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person and input your car info and these sites are good showing you wheels that will fit your car.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
AWD or RWD?

FYI you can add your signature with your car info. Your location is a big help too. This way the forum members can make better suggestions to any questions you may have. Just a suggestion.

Click here: NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS!
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AWD or RWD?

FYI you can add your signature with your car info. Your location is a big help too. This way the forum members can make better suggestions to any questions you may have. Just a suggestion.

Click here: NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS!
Welcome to the forum!
AWD. One thing that I've noticed by doing some looking around last night is that it seems like going from 8.5 to 9.5 really lowers the selection of rims.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

These are what I would like but will that offset work? It looks like this website is telling me that they will fit, but it didn't ask for any details about the car so I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
AWD. One thing that I've noticed by doing some looking around last night is that it seems like going from 8.5 to 9.5 really lowers the selection of rims.
Looking at Continental's web site, you have to get up to a 285 width to need a 9.5" wheel (minimum). A 275 width tire can fit on a 9.0" wheel. From the factory, Infiniti puts a 245 width tire on AWD models. I'm not sure a 285 will fit on the front without rubbing - someone here will know.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
You put too narrow of tire on that 9.5" wheel you are gonna have curb rash on the wheels because the tire is stretched so much that the sidewall offers no protection to the wheel rims and they are gonna look like $h!t after you take a careless trip through the Taco Bell drive-thru. Just saying. Nothing looks dumber than expensive wheels with curb rash.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at Continental's web site, you have to get up to a 285 width to need a 9.5" wheel (minimum). A 275 width tire can fit on a 9.0" wheel. From the factory, Infiniti puts a 245 width tire on AWD models. I'm not sure a 285 will fit on the front without rubbing - someone here will know.
Ok it looks like the rims I want fit fine with an 8.5 width. Is there anything special to staggering them if I wanted to put 9.5s in the rear? I'm assuming in the front is the only problem with going all 9.5? Also they are available in 35-45 offset is there any particular reason to go with one over the other? Thanks a lot, sorry for all the questions. I just really don't wanna end up having to ship them back lol.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Ok it looks like the rims I want fit fine with an 8.5 width. Is there anything special to staggering them if I wanted to put 9.5s in the rear? I'm assuming in the front is the only problem with going all 9.5? Also they are available in 35-45 offset is there any particular reason to go with one over the other? Thanks a lot, sorry for all the questions. I just really don't wanna end up having to ship them back lol.
AWD should use the same size wheels and tires in front and rear. The diameters of the tires have to be the same or you run the risk of damaging your drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Is there anything special to staggering them if I wanted to put 9.5s in the rear? I'm assuming in the front is the only problem with going all 9.5? Also they are available in 35-45 offset is there any particular reason to go with one over the other? Thanks a lot, sorry for all the questions.
You can stagger on AWD, but you need to make sure the outer tire diameter is the same, or very, very close.

For example, let's assume you pick a 19" Michelin PS4 to put on a staggered setup, with a 8.5" wide wheel on the front and 9.5" wide wheel on the rear.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires

For the front, you could go with the following size:

For the rear, you could go with the following size:

The AWD system can tolerate a 0.1" diameter front-to-rear difference. I wouldn't go staggered if the diameters were a larger difference then this example.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. I think just to make things easiest as possible I won't stagger and just get the 8.5s all the way around. Would you recommend the 35mm offset or the 40mm? And I guess lastly any tire recommendations? I wish I knew if I was gonna be driving it in the winter for sure or not. I live in Wisconsin but since I ended up spending much less on the car than I thought, my plan is to drive my Cruz mainly for work. So snow probably won't be a factor.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't want to start a new thread but I would really appreciate some last thoughts. The rims I want are only available in 19" with a 35mm offset it looks like and some sites are saying it won't fit. I wouldn't think going from a 45 to a 35 and keeping the same size tire would make that big of a difference. They are available in an 18" which was my original plan in 35 40 or 45. But after looking at tire fitting I almost just want to keep 19"s on it. Since to keep the same ride height I could only go up to a 45 from a 40.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
I don't want to start a new thread but I would really appreciate some last thoughts. The rims I want are only available in 19" with a 35mm offset it looks like and some sites are saying it won't fit. I wouldn't think going from a 45 to a 35 and keeping the same size tire would make that big of a difference. They are available in an 18" which was my original plan in 35 40 or 45. But after looking at tire fitting I almost just want to keep 19"s on it. Since to keep the same ride height I could only go up to a 45 from a 40.
The shaping of the backside of the spokes will make a difference as far as clearing the brakes. Offset is not the only thing to take into account. My OEM wheels are +47, and my winter wheels are +38 (but a half inch narrower) with the same size tire. If the seller will take returns of unmounted wheels, I would order one wheel and test fit it. That way you will know for sure and have only one wheel to ship back if they don't fit.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shaping of the backside of the spokes will make a difference as far as clearing the brakes. Offset is not the only thing to take into account. My OEM wheels are +47, and my winter wheels are +38 (but a half inch narrower) with the same size tire. If the seller will take returns of unmounted wheels, I would order one wheel and test fit it. That way you will know for sure and have only one wheel to ship back if they don't fit.
I just went through about 5 variations on the fitment thing on ebay. It's saying that the 18's will fit with any offset but not the 19's with 35 offset. Would that mean that breaks probably aren't the issue? Also I've seen pictures of the same rim but 20's on a Q50. I know that doesn't mean a lot since that car could be heavily modded.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
I just went through about 5 variations on the fitment thing on ebay. It's saying that the 18's will fit with any offset but not the 19's with 35 offset. Would that mean that breaks probably aren't the issue? Also I've seen pictures of the same rim but 20's on a Q50. I know that doesn't mean a lot since that car could be heavily modded.
I'm talking about the spokes possibly hitting the brake calipers, not the inside diameter of the barrel of the wheel being big enough for the rotor...just to be clear we are talking about the same thing.

Niche has a "Contact Us" tab on their website for questions. Try them. Me personally...I would use a retailer close to me rather than ordering them (ebay, etc) as it will be easier to resolve any issues.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm talking about the spokes possibly hitting the brake calipers, not the inside diameter of the barrel of the wheel being big enough for the rotor...just to be clear we are talking about the same thing.

Niche has a "Contact Us" tab on their website for questions. Try them. Me personally...I would use a retailer close to me rather than ordering them (ebay, etc) as it will be easier to resolve any issues.
I think I just made all of this moot. Found a set that I actually love and tire rack is saying they will fit. So I feel like a dumb ass wasting your time lol. With that being said however, do I need to order these TPMS kits and or the tool?

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
I think I just made all of this moot. Found a set that I actually love and tire rack is saying they will fit. So I feel like a dumb ass wasting your time lol. With that being said however, do I need to order these TPMS kits and or the tool?
Tire Rack should be able to help you with the TPM sensors. Your 2014 uses a different sensor than my 2018. It has been discussed many times on this forum. I did NOT need to do anything when I got my snow tire package from Tire rack - the car automatically detected them - no tool needed. I don't remember what if anything has to be done with the older sensors. Tire Rack salespeople are very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Premium AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tire Rack should be able to help you with the TPM sensors. Your 2014 uses a different sensor than my 2018. It has been discussed many times on this forum. I did NOT need to do anything when I got my snow tire package from Tire rack - the car automatically detected them - no tool needed. I don't remember what if anything has to be done with the older sensors. Tire Rack salespeople are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Ok thanks again for all the help. Now to figure out which brand of tire lol... any recommendations?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts