·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Good find bro! :)

The Chestnut Brown is looking nice!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Gas Version -- "In our testing the Q50 finished the 0-60-mph sprint in 5.5 seconds (5.2 with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip) and ran the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 102.8 mph."

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Meh, I read it, and it is a very quickly written article. Lots of complaints about the cheap tires on the non-sport version. The author does hint that the Sport version is way better, makes me glad I got the Sport :)

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Meh, I read it, and it is a very quickly written article. Lots of complaints about the cheap tires on the non-sport version. The author does hint that the Sport version is way better, makes me glad I got the Sport :)
Agreed. No commentary on inTouch, or the audio system either. Either way, glad to see that the prohibition on reviews may be lifted.

Plus, first performance numbers we've seen.

Track Test Results
Acceleration, 0-30 mph (sec.) 2.4
0-45 mph (sec.) 3.7
0-60 mph (sec.) 5.5
0-75 mph (sec.) 7.9
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.7 @ 102.8
0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 5.2
0-30 mph, trac ON (sec.) 2.3
0-45 mph, trac ON (sec.) 3.8
0-60 mph, trac ON (sec.) 5.6
0-75 mph, trac ON (sec.) 7.9
1/4-mile, trac ON (sec. @ mph) 13.7 @102.7
0-60, trac ON with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 5.2
Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 32
60-0 mph (ft.) 123
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 60.9
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) ESC ON 60.1
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.79
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) ESC ON 0.78
Sound level @ idle (dB) 38.0
@ Full throttle (dB) 71.7
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 62.8
Engine speed @ 70 mph (rpm) 2,200
Test Driver Ratings & Comments
Acceleration comments The traction control system seems to be optimized to allow the exact amount of wheelspin for an effective launch, as I essentially matched it when I shut it off. The engine pulls hard throughout its rev range, in each gear, and upshifts (in any mode) occur at redline. There seems to be much, much more isolation from the engine/exhaust sounds than in a comparable G37 at idle, wide-open throttle, and at 70-mph cruise, and that is a good thing.
Braking comments Predictably, these tires do the Q50 no favors in braking distances. Anything over 120 feet for a sport sedan (even a touring version of a sport sedan) doesn't sit right with us. Luckily, there's little to no fade or heat soak and the distances remained steady for seven stops.
Handling comments "Slalom: My first impression was that sand had been stewn over the slalom course. Where's the grip? Why is the ESC grabbing brakes so darned hard at the FIRST cone? I am utterly shocked at the lack of capability here -- some 5 mph slower than a G37 (that's huge). Steering is still quick and precise (a little distant), but it was all I could do to maintain a smooth pass without upsetting the ESC that was very, very unhappy and noticeably altering the car's path at each cone.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow, the Nissan Altima 2013 3.5L blows the Q50 away:
60-0 mph (ft.)114
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph)66.6
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) ESC ON64.0
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g)0.86
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) ESC ON0.86

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Wow - not liking those tires huh? I really hope the sport package/tires will make a difference - especially on the AWD as they are all seasons. I always thought Infiniti cheaper out on tires to keep their costs down on the base models. OEM replacement tires on my 08 G (non-sport) were needed at a paltry 17,000 miles. My 10 G (sport) to 25,000 + miles at least.

Glad there were no major in-touch complaints. I think that's huge! You couldn't read a review of the ATS without major CUE complaints. Fingerprints - meh, we all know that. Sun washout - kinda stinks but I'll reserve judgement. They liked the hard buttons-good job Infinit! Nothing about lag, delays, etc. Nice,

I did not like the flat seat comment. I noticed that in the preview car in June and that was with sport seats. I'll have to check that out for sure - was hoping that was just a preview issue. Either way, not such good feedback for the 'zero gravity' type seats they were going for.

Th non-adaptive steering seemed likeable. Hope that carries through to the upgrade . . . We shall see.

Hmmm, kind of disappointed in some areas but happy in others. More reviews needed and methinks Infiniti may want to provide an S for those tests.

Great post - thanks!!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Poor, uninspired review. Dumbfounded that Infiniti didn't first release a loaded Sport model for the initial major review. Seems like the lack of the advanced features resulted in this "pat on the back" review from Edmunds. Also disappointing that they didn't even provide some form of video, or demonstrate the tech features; foldable rears. The lengthy criticism of the non-S RFTs leaves an impression on the reader. At least the beautiful design of the car was captured & applauded. Anticipating a detailed Sport/Hybrid S review(s).

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Back to the tire issue.:( With the hybrid's small trunk, switching to non-RFTs isn't feasible. I just hope that they are being overly critical.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There are kits that allow temporary flat repair, so you can use regular tires.
BTW, a run flat cannot be repaired, so if you have a flat, it is $400 plus labor...
If you buy the car just sell the run flats (19" are the same size as BMW's sport pkg) a BMW owner and use the $$ to get a decent set of tires.

The 19in in the Q50S would improve the grip but will be ride even worse.
Same acceleration figures as the G37 (expected), much much worse slalom time.

I'm glad that they tested the regular Q50, now I know what not to get.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Edmund's 2013 MKZ review bettered the Q50. Slalom 65.3, skid 0.84g, brake 121 ft. Its AWD tested with "relatively low-grip Michelin Primacy tires "Green" tires".

2013 Lincoln MKZ Full Road Test Specs

The Q review is disappointing. Infiniti has turned the G into an ES350, Camry, Accord, Mazda 6....but slower in slalom.

Altima had Dunlop SP Sport 7000 All Season 235/45r18 so more rubber
Q50 Bridgestone Potenza 225/55rf17
My G37xs AWD Dunlop SP Sport Maxxx 225/50r18 A/S

I‘ll check the tires on the Awd Q Prm and Spo when I see em. Also wonder why Infiniti did not give them a Deluxe Tech. I want to see the new steering really tested, and the Tech...before I pay for it. Is Infiniti hiding it from testing.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
UGH!! So now I feel that I need to just get the Sports model! What's another three grand!?!?! ha :eek:

I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot of members on the forum that have rarely, if ever, posted just to slam the Q50 now that reviews are coming out. I have never read a single review that had no negative comments. The Q50 is not an exception. Just have to weigh the good with the bad and figure out what car works best for your needs/wants.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I want to see the new steering really tested, and the Tech...before I pay for it. Is Infiniti hiding it from testing.
Unfortunately it does not, see the quote from Automobile Mag review:

"In theory, steer-by-wire technology allows engineers to infinitely fine-tune the steering, and Infiniti product planners hint that a special Vettel-tuned performance package might be in the works. Given his efforts in tuning Direct Adaptive Steering so far, perhaps Seb should stick to F1 garages, because in its current iteration, the steering feels artificial, disconnected, and even unpredictable. With the driver aids off, the Q50 has the light, non-communicative steering we see so often these days. It's likely nothing that an owner won't get used to, but it feels downright weird at first."

Read more: 2014 Infiniti Q50 First Drive - Automobile Magazine

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
UGH!! So now I feel that I need to just get the Sports model! What's another three grand!?!?! ha :eek:

I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot of members on the forum that have rarely, if ever, posted just to slam the Q50 now that reviews are coming out. I have never read a single review that had no negative comments. The Q50 is not an exception. Just have to weigh the good with the bad and figure out what car works best for your needs/wants.
I bet you're right. As soon as the major reviews drop, the haters will be pouring out of the woodwork.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.