Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
in the title they included " Watch out BMW 3 Series, Infiniti's latest sedan is coming"

good job on a catchy title but the 3 series doesn't need to "watch out", the Q50 might be a competitor but it's not even a threat to the 3 series. Infiniti keeps getting closer to beating the 3 series every step of the way from the G35 to G37 but the Q50 still has a way to go.

And if it's going to compete with a 3 series, Infiniti an IPL Q50 with some real performance.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
in the title they included " Watch out BMW 3 Series, Infiniti's latest sedan is coming"

good job on a catchy title but the 3 series doesn't need to "watch out", the Q50 might be a competitor but it's not even a threat to the 3 series. Infiniti keeps getting closer to beating the 3 series every step of the way from the G35 to G37 but the Q50 still has a way to go.

And if it's going to compete with a 3 series, Infiniti an IPL Q50 with some real performance.
Umm they do need to watch out with as soft as they made the new 3 ... In a comparison in MT Back in 08 the G beat the 3 series and I honestly think they will do it again...:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drove it and I'm a BMW guy originally but the Q50 more than holds its own. And if the new IPL is going to have twin turbos and be 500+ horsepower than the BMW M and Audi S are in trouble ;).

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm still not 100% sure if Infiniti should focus on a high performance S/M rival right now...
Why not? If the Q50 reviews well, it opens the door for an M3 competitor. They've got F1 guys on the payroll helping them refine it. They're no strangers to the Nurburgring either, practically living there during the GTR development.

They're also looking at multiple engine options for this model since this is their global model they're introducing into many markets where Infiniti had little or no presence before. We already know Europe is getting a diesel turbo 4, and I've heard more than once the JX is about to get a supercharged 4. Their engine deal with Mercedes gives them some flexibility without development effort, so they can even attempt a low volume G25 type of idea again, to fit a specific market.

Personally I think they should go for it, and offer red leather cooled/ventilated seats while they're at it. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
We already know Europe is getting a diesel turbo 4, and I've heard more than once the JX is about to get a supercharged 4. Their engine deal with Mercedes gives them some flexibility without development effort, so they can even attempt a low volume G25 type of idea again, to fit a specific market.

Personally I think they should go for it, and offer red leather cooled/ventilated seats while they're at it. :cool:
The QX60 Hybrid is going to have a supercharged 4 in it.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm actually really looking forward to a direct comparison between the Q50 RWD and AWD models as well as the Premium vs Sport trims.

I'm soo on the fence about it this time around...On one hand, I like the extra control and confidence of AWD, but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. I think I much enjoy the visual styling of the Premium trim, but I love the Sport brakes and I'm curious about the updated sport suspension..

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

The RWD Premium weighs in at 3611 pounds, and the weight goes up(in order) for the Sport RWD, the Premium AWD and the Sport AWD, which weighs 3,849 pounds. Since I'm getting the Premium, Hybrid AWD, I'm going to be very interested to see how much the increase from 328 hp to 354 hp(and the increase in torque) is going to help it overcome the weight of 4,085 pounds, which is 298 pounds more than the non-hybrid AWD. Hopefully, I'll know in two more months.:D

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm actually really looking forward to a direct comparison between the Q50 RWD and AWD models as well as the Premium vs Sport trims.

I'm soo on the fence about it this time around...On one hand, I like the extra control and confidence of AWD, but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. I think I much enjoy the visual styling of the Premium trim, but I love the Sport brakes and I'm curious about the updated sport suspension..
I'm in the same boat minus the AWD. I don't want the weight that comes with that system even if it is rear-biased. If I didn't live in the south where it rains 15 days per year and ices up maybe once, I'd reconsider.

Personally I like the sport and non-sport bumpers fairly equally, but leaning towards sport. After all, look at the site logo on the top left, and all of the cars they've been trotting out to dealership events. Always the sport.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
See--that's what I can't say for sure or not.

With such a brand new car, there's not enough info out there to say how much the extra weight in the AWD will carry over into being noticeable to the driver.
Really simple to factor though. The baseline rating for quick cars is hp to weight ratio, or how many horsepower per pound does it have. Add weight without adding power and you're on the losing side of the equation.

Best trade off if you're trying to keep things balanced is the Hybrid Sport AWD, which, coincidentally, is the most expensive (and heaviest) model.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Really simple to factor though. The baseline rating for quick cars is hp to weight ratio, or how many horsepower per pound does it have. Add weight without adding power and you're on the losing side of the equation.

Best trade off if you're trying to keep things balanced is the Hybrid Sport AWD, which, coincidentally, is the most expensive (and heaviest) model.
I'm talking about what's on paper vs what the driver actually experiences.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.