Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove down to LA to visit my sister for the holidays, + she had been asking me to help her get a new car and I was also in the market to get one too for a few months but was terribly confused as to what to get. I own 3 cars, one weekend driver, an SUV work truck and a family sedan. I test drove many cars which include beemers, mercs, lexus, nissan, honda, ford just to educate myself. My sister ended up getting an IS250 which she is happy with, and I traded in my 2011 Merc C300 sport for the Q50. Here are my thoughts after driving the car from Los Angeles to Chico, CA and doing its first 800 miles.

The first couple of days it took me some time to get used to the different drive quality of the Q50 in comparison to the merc. The merc felt more planted, and had a better fit an finish, the lexus too had a excellent fit and finish, very quite cabin and controlled steering. The q50 felt lighter and nimbler to me. After a few days I was regretting that I should have gotten the IS350!:confused:

Anyhow, as I got to know the car better, I started enjoying its electronic features, and found that it is a lot more comfortable to be in than the merc. The lexus was different, designed very ergonomically but very tight. I likes the room the Q50 had, did not make me feel too enclosed. It did not take me too much time to get to know the systems features such as radio, heating/air conditioning, power windows, locks, mirrors, etc... IMO I like the usability to be far easier than the bmw system and the lexus mouse which tends to move around too much.

It is during the drive back to chico (7 hours) is when I discovered the thrill and joy of driving this car. After breaking in my first 700 miles, I started having some fun... On the drive up I drove the car in a variety of conditions on the highway, and back roads. Acceleration was excellent throughout the power band and braking was tight. This car really made me feel very confidant during lane changes, overtaking, etc...I gotta say It kinda felt as fast as my 996...:D:D:D

Upon reaching Nor Cal, I took some country roads driving between miles and miles of orchard, great scenery too...oh, btw, its a lot more fun to drive with all the electronic stability management off, this car sometimes feels like a V8, and with the electronics off, tires screeching and tail swinging makes this car a Hella fun to drive!!! :D:D Its like in a disguise, no one could ever tell by the elegant looks of it!!:cool:

I used to drive a 996 a daily driver, since my son was born, its become a weekend car. I have had a hard time finding an alternative sedan at a reasonable price, I never fell in love with drive quality of my previous C300 sport but loved its looks, and although I like the drive quality of bmw, I am not much of a beemer fan due to reliability issues and costly options.

I have been looking for something both my wife and I would be happy with as she likes luxury and I like performance....I find that this car is an excellent fit for us and the rear seats have better room than the others compared. My only complaint is I hope that INFINITI resolves the software issues and updates....oh and I also don't like the run flats. Otherwise, if you like a car which is elegant, refined and yet has the balls when needed, this would be a great car for you!!:)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I've come to realize that its easy to mistake lightness for cheapness/flimsiness and heft for quality/solidity.

This happens to me when I drive my moms 2007 Accord, it feels heavier, and more solid than my 2007 Altima, which in turn feels light and airy on the inside. But her car has many more loud rattles than mine and has way more hard touch plastic.

The point is, their both cheap in their own way, just engineered to feel a certain way. In the case of the C-Class, Lexus and Infiniti, their all quality and solid cars, just Infiniti focuses on more airy interiors, which have increased in quality like crazy over the years.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Gnashing my teeth

"Their" "There" "They're" - three different words!

"Your" "You're" - Two different words!

Sorry, but it seems like it's getting worse around here.:(

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"Their" "There" "They're" - three different words!

"Your" "You're" - Two different words!

Sorry, but it seems like it's getting worse around here.:(
You're right, of course. (Alternative - Your write, off coarse.)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Beauty outside, beast inside
Maybe the Marketing should start using that line... Infiniti marketing sucks!!!
"Inspired Performance" but the ads sucks!

@Selzini, after graduating from college 10 years ago, my grammar is deteriorating. I used to think twice before writing before, but now I just write as my mind told me to.
Good that we still have someone to correct before it gets worse.
I used to have a friend that corrected me all the time and it was annoying but I realized she saved me from embarrassing myself along the way.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
That's what sent you over the edge?

What about the lack of capitalization for all of the proper nouns? :p
Or the lack of separate paragraphs?:D

One other thing that gets to me: It has become common for people to say, "I could care less," when they REALLY mean, "I couldn't care less." If they could care less, that means that they could still be even less concerned.

Oh well: While we're still on the subject, I wish people would know that "me" is objective. Just as they wouldn't say, "Me went to the store," I don't understand how they can use the word when including someone else, i.e., "Me and my wife went to the store." I could also mentioned the supposedly educated ex-college football players on television(like Herbstreit) who don't know things like the words "between" and "with" require an object afterword. He constantly will say things like, "The running back went with he and the tight end." Would he still say "he" if the tight end wasn't included? I hope not.:(

Grammar lesson over for today.:p

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

One other thing that gets to me: It has become common for people to say, "I could care less," when they REALLY mean, "I couldn't care less." If they could care less, that means that they could still be even less concerned.

Oh well: While we're still on the subject, I wish people would know that "me" is objective. Just as they wouldn't say, "Me went to the store," I don't understand how they can use the word when including someone else, i.e., "Me and my wife went to the store." I could also mentioned the supposedly educated ex-college football players on television(like Herbstreit) who don't know things like the words "between" and "with" require an object afterword. He constantly will say things like, "The running back went with he and the tight end." Would he still say "he" if the tight end wasn't included? I hope not.:(

(Relax I'm kidding!!)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts

IJS... Stuff happens, right? :rolleyes::p:D

·
Registered
21 Posts

Irregardless didn't get a mention?!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Heft used to be a clear indicator of quality, until we started dabbling in high-strength steel, alloys, carbon fiber, ect. Now I'd say that quality is best judged by whether or not things rattle and break. NissLover is right on the money.

Speaking of which, the past two gens of Accord I thought were pretty good in quality, until a friend bought a '95 Accord wagon- I went off about this in another thread- the 1995 is light-years ahead in build quality and materials. Same thing with recent Camrys. Only Altima has improved in the past 10 years between those three.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think technology and word processing software can be partially to blame :confused:
btw
thanks for the tips on english grammar...ok this thread is funny...on another note, due to electronic management systems, many of us are also able to drive some of these cars aggressively and fairly easily without much involvement. Has anyone driven this car with all the electronic management systems off...its a lot more fun, but be careful not to let the tail spin out:D:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.