Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This news really has me dissappointed in the direction and choices Nissan has been making. They just dropped the lenendary SKYLINE name in Japan and now Ford has trademarked it.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hmmm? Nissan still uses the SKYLINE name in Japan and all over their marking material, I haven't seen any report that they
dropped the name either.

Japan is part of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) along with the US and the name is used by Nissan
In some countries as well. Reading the fine-print of almost any of their publications "The Nissan names, logos and
slogans are trademarks owned by or licenced to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. or its North American subsidiaries."

Pretty sure Ford is going to get sued over this one.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
128 Posts
I mean Ford could not resurrect a name of some god-awful car from the '60s or '70s. I can hear the blue suits assembling.

·
Registered
330 Posts
(n) Yeah they should not have let that trademark go.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Hmmm? Nissan still uses the SKYLINE name in Japan and all over their marking material, I haven't seen any report that they
dropped the name either.

Japan is part of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) along with the US and the name is used by Nissan
In some countries as well. Reading the fine-print of almost any of their publications "The Nissan names, logos and
slogans are trademarks owned by or licenced to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. or its North American subsidiaries."

Pretty sure Ford is going to get sued over this one.
Good assessment....but still shortsighted of Nissan not to have already protected their IP.

Much like when they changed the G to Q50, and left it out there hanging....knowing Genesis had already been targeting INFINITI before that brand was even launched....the Genesis Coupe was already a shot across the bow (in typical Hyundai copying fashion).

I swear, it appears sometime that the inmates are running the asylum over there in Yokohama.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
OT to this OP....

I found this interesting comment on this TTAC article from a couple of days ago: "OPINION: Here's Where INFINITI Lost its Way". The comment is by a commenter Varezhka:

Infiniti failed, like all other large scale Nissan projects, because Nissan is the Japanese GM.
Originally a major part of the Ayukawa conglomerate, Nissan was always the car maker with the strongest political ties to the Japanese government. Much more so than that family business ran by loom makers in Aichi. What that meant was Nissan always brought in people with strong political ambitions. (People went from Nissan to politics, and back to Nissan after retirement)
This is why an Ayukawa relative by the name of Katayama was shipped over to the sure to fail business over in USA by his boss. When this “Mr. K” was actually successful in making Datsun a household name, he was kicked out of the company and the Datsun name killed.
Skyline/Infiniti G was always a sore point because it was a product line started by Prince Motor Company and ran by people from the former Prince, not Nissan proper. What this meant was every time a Skyline is successful, its engineering budget were cut.
So a big project like Infiniti? Everyone wanted a cut in the project so a million people giving random input and wanting budget. Anyone not part of the project will try their best to undermine it.
So the only time it was marginally successful was when Ghosn came in with his iron fist and gave some semblance of control. Of course, until he became more focused on filling his coffers instead of the company, just like all other of his predecessors.
Does anyone know if there is any credibility in guy's/gal's statement?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Come on guys this is the new partnership. Ford/Nissan. They are gonna make the Skyline truck.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Good assessment....but still shortsighted of Nissan not to have already protected their IP.

Much like when they changed the G to Q50, and left it out there hanging....knowing Genesis had already been targeting INFINITI before that brand was even launched....the Genesis Coupe was already a shot across the bow (in typical Hyundai copying fashion).

I swear, it appears sometime that the inmates are running the asylum over there in Yokohama.
True enough surprising to see they weren't more pro-active about that to be sure, most large enterprises are hyper protective of their IPs anyone familiar with the pissing contests tech companies get with naming and models will know what I'm talking about.

Cough Intel/AMD

OT to this OP....

I found this interesting comment on this TTAC article from a couple of days ago: "OPINION: Here's Where INFINITI Lost its Way". The comment is by a commenter Varezhka:

Infiniti failed, like all other large scale Nissan projects, because Nissan is the Japanese GM.
Originally a major part of the Ayukawa conglomerate, Nissan was always the car maker with the strongest political ties to the Japanese government. Much more so than that family business ran by loom makers in Aichi. What that meant was Nissan always brought in people with strong political ambitions. (People went from Nissan to politics, and back to Nissan after retirement)
This is why an Ayukawa relative by the name of Katayama was shipped over to the sure to fail business over in USA by his boss. When this “Mr. K” was actually successful in making Datsun a household name, he was kicked out of the company and the Datsun name killed.
Skyline/Infiniti G was always a sore point because it was a product line started by Prince Motor Company and ran by people from the former Prince, not Nissan proper. What this meant was every time a Skyline is successful, its engineering budget were cut.
So a big project like Infiniti? Everyone wanted a cut in the project so a million people giving random input and wanting budget. Anyone not part of the project will try their best to undermine it.
So the only time it was marginally successful was when Ghosn came in with his iron fist and gave some semblance of control. Of course, until he became more focused on filling his coffers instead of the company, just like all other of his predecessors.
Does anyone know if there is any credibility in guy's/gal's statement?
Some arm-chair crackpot stuff right there and some serious bias if he considered Nissan
the GM of Japanese brands.

I've not found anything to confirm that Mr K was forcibly made to retire outside a broken link in WIkipiedia, but Japanese business can be pretty slimy as a whole and has pretty strict labor policies that push people to retire around 60-65 . Although this was in 70s so hard to say what its like back then but Mr K was nearly 70 at the time of his retirement..... So while not impossible Mr K also continued to have pretty good relations with Nissan in the proceeding years showing up in marketing material and accepting some rewards.

As for the rest of his post it totally falls apart, the reason Datsun was used in NA to begin with was because Japanese brands were just starting to come in and Nissan was afraid of things going belly side up, so they used Datsun as a way to protect the main brands image.

When Datsun became wildly successful and no longer a risk to the Nissan name the decision was made to consolidated the various brands such as Prince and Datsun under the single name Nissan.

Datsun was only discontinued in the 80s and was done at a global level.... 10 years after Mr K retired.

As for the R&D budget that is flat out wrong, the budget to develop the Skyline name has continued to balloon since its inception as has every other automotive platform , things got so expensive for Nissan they had to consolidate the various platforms down to a single entry... The FM platform.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts