Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This only now occurred to me: When the car slows itself with the automatic braking, do the brake lights come on? If not, would that be considered a safety issue?

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
This only now occurred to me: When the car slows itself with the automatic braking, do the brake lights come on? If not, would that be considered a safety issue?
Yes the the brake lights do come on.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was just having this thought this morning! Thanks for the answer!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day and had my gf follow me to make sure they do...

One hilarious thing about Forward Emergency Braking, I was on my test drive and the salesman wanted to demonstrate so he tells me to take the off ramp. He then leans over and says "you have to trust me but don't hit the brakes, let the car stop itself" so I'm on the off ramp and there is a line of cars stopped at the light at the end, i'm doing like 25-30 and we are approaching and the cars not stopping... the guy starts going "whoa, whoa, WHOA!" so I stomped the brakes. We stop within inches of the bumper. He's like "guess it wasnt turned on" (it was) The salesman didn't know that forward emergency braking only applies to cars in motion, not stopped!

That would have been an interesting court case!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day and had my gf follow me to make sure they do...

One hilarious thing about Forward Emergency Braking, I was on my test drive and the salesman wanted to demonstrate so he tells me to take the off ramp. He then leans over and says "you have to trust me but don't hit the brakes, let the car stop itself" so I'm on the off ramp and there is a line of cars stopped at the light at the end, i'm doing like 25-30 and we are approaching and the cars not stopping... the guy starts going "whoa, whoa, WHOA!" so I stomped the brakes. We stop within inches of the bumper. He's like "guess it wasnt turned on" (it was) The salesman didn't know that forward emergency braking only applies to cars in motion, not stopped!

That would have been an interesting court case!
Hahahahahahahahha. That's a story to tell at the dinner table.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The salesman didn't know that forward emergency braking only applies to cars in motion, not stopped!

I have to disagree. When I finally got enough nerve to try it, I was approaching a stop sign with several cars in front of me. I kept my foot above the brake pedal, and was about to hit the brake(in a panic:eek:), when the car came to a sudden halt. One thing I have noticed is that the little white car "indicator" in the dash disappears when I step on the brake, and then reappears when I take my foot off. And it also seems that sometimes, the thing doesn't "see" the car in front when that car is stopped, which sounds like what Hurricane350 described. That's why I don't rely on the system all the time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I am confused. I thought it will stop also if there an object in front of the car.
We actually tested it with my buddy's M where we stands in front of the car and it stopped! Is it different in Q?

Btw, I bought the car without tech since I never trust electronic stuff (although I am an engineer myself). Maybe this proves why I should stay away from tech when it comes to critical components. Having said that, it does not mean you can't rely on it but try to see it as a helper.
There was a story I heard in this forum that he was lucky that Q50 brakes and saved his life.

Something that I could think of is that you mentioned it was in the ramp right? The sensor might not picked it up due to the angle of the sensor. That could the cause of it. It is human man... so that means human error :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
The salesman didn't know that forward emergency braking only applies to cars in motion, not stopped!

I have to disagree. When I finally got enough nerve to try it, I was approaching a stop sign with several cars in front of me. I kept my foot above the brake pedal, and was about to hit the brake(in a panic:eek:), when the car came to a sudden halt. One thing I have noticed is that the little white car "indicator" in the dash disappears when I step on the brake, and then reappears when I take my foot off. And it also seems that sometimes, the thing doesn't "see" the car in front when that car is stopped, which sounds like what Hurricane350 described. That's why I don't rely on the system all the time.

I agree with Selzini
The emergency braking system is supposed to be passive and not dependent on turning on any active controls such as ALC or Cruise Control. (Unless you disable the entire passive system which is buried somewhere in the menus).

Also agree that the system is not 100% foolproof, and sometimes will not recognized a vehicle or obstruction in your path regardless of whether the obstruction is stationary or moving. When it does work, however, its very impressive. Assuming conditions are suitable to avoid a crash, the car will stop just in time, with warning bells and graphics displaying on the small screen between the dashboard gauges.

I experienced this passive system just once. In quick order the seat belts pre-tension, accelerator pedal moves up and stops the throttle and the brakes come on strong.

Orrin

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Nani assist features like forward braking assist work any time car is in motion and rear brake light will illuminate as soon as brakes are applied by the system.

·
Registered
93 Posts

You have more balls than me! I don't think I will ever test out the system on purpose... Found something in the Owners manual:
The radar sensor has some performance
limitations. For stationary vehicles, the
forward emergency braking system will
not function when the vehicle is driven
at speeds over approximately 45 MPH
(70 km/h)

Maybe I was going faster on the off ramp than I thought? lol But more likely I didn't and will not have the sack to test this ever! lol

I am confused. I thought it will stop also if there an object in front of the car.
We actually tested it with my buddy's M where we stands in front of the car and it stopped! Is it different in Q?

Btw, I bought the car without tech since I never trust electronic stuff (although I am an engineer myself). Maybe this proves why I should stay away from tech when it comes to critical components. Having said that, it does not mean you can't rely on it but try to see it as a helper.
There was a story I heard in this forum that he was lucky that Q50 brakes and saved his life.

Something that I could think of is that you mentioned it was in the ramp right? The sensor might not picked it up due to the angle of the sensor. That could the cause of it. It is human man... so that means human error :)
No, it was a straight off ramp, no turns.. As to you and your buddys test... another excerpt from the manual:
The radar sensor does not detect the
following objects:

Pedestrians, animals or obstacles in
the roadway

You probably shouldn't try that in the Q!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.