Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll first start off by saying I don't work for any companies/brands I discuss below. I've been looking for a mobile phone mount for my Q50S Hybrid AWD since I got it in late August. Finally, Proclip came out with one made specifically for the Q50 about a week or two ago. Their site is Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts*-*ProClip USA.

I ordered item 854964: the Q50 specific mount and item 514423: a phone holder made for the iPhone 5/5c/5s. They make phone holders for all different types of phones...not just iPhones.

The mount: The mount is designed for placement in the lower right area of the lower screen near where the A/C on/off button is (see pics). I like how it fits because 1) it doesn't obstruct any buttons from the driver's viewpoint, 2) it only obstructs the view of a non-important button from the passenger's viewpoint, and 3) the passenger's leg area isn't impacted. In addition, no screws required to mount and if/when you remove it there won't be any evidence it was there. It basically "clips" onto two points on the dash very tightly. The only tool required to mount the mount is a little plastic wedge (that comes with it) that helps get the clip into the tiny space between a wood and plastic seam.

The phone holder: I chose this phone holder because it allows me to set my phone in it and not have to worry about connecting the charging cable. It is made specifically to get around Apple restrictions about creating third party phone mounts. Basically, you take an OEM Apple lightning cable and stick it into the bottom of the phone mount. I wanted to use a black third party (Apple certified) cable but the white OEM one was the only one that fit. The phone mount then becomes a phone "dock" because the cable fits very sturdy/tight/firm into the bottom of the holder. Note: the top part of the holder flexes up so you can put your phone in top first and then let rest on the connector.

I found it VERY easy to take off leather panel to the left of the passenger seat to run my iphone cable. The leather panel I'm talking about is the one that a passenger's thy would be next to. It pretty much just came right off when I pulled it. I ran the cable from the center console to where I put the mount. Caution: make SURE to run the cable before you mount the mount or else you won't be able to get the panel off without first unmounting.....

I now have a phone dock that is sturdy, durable, and for the most part, not ugly. Works great so far with no complaints. I'll comment in a few days if I find anything I don't like about it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
how did you manage to run the cable behind the trim? i've been trying to find a way to tuck my radars cable as i run it down that exact direction

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how did you manage to run the cable behind the trim? i've been trying to find a way to tuck my radars cable as i run it down that exact direction
I'll take a picture tomorrow. Was pretty easy though. There were a lot of plastic holes that weren't associated with clips that I just threaded the wire through. My goals were 1) don't obstruct any places where clips need to go and 2) don't obstruct any places where the panel touches other parts of the car. There was plenty of space there and someone who is willing to pull out more panels/unscrew things will find a ton of room for running wires in that center area.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm a huge fan of proclip and have their mounts in all of my (and my kid's) vehicles.

Thanks for sharing a mount is available for the Q50

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good post, I just got mine in the mail on Friday for my note 3. I have had them for every car and they are hands down the best mount. I was going to post pics today but you beat me to it! :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Numerous thanks to Randy. Just ordered the identical setup, at 25% off (today only).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift Steering wheel

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior

I got the simple mount for my iPhone. Be careful with the tiny black screws in a car with a black interior. It is easy to lose them in carpet or under the seat. I ran the charging cord along the edge of the console. It was easy to open a bit with the gap spreader proclip sent with the mount to assist with the installation.

The mount is out of the way but easily reached. It's better than it having the phone loose. And the apps on the phone will make up for disappointing apps on the intouch system.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Randy, I want to thank you for bringing Pro Clip to my/our attention. I've had it installed for a few days, and it works great. It's a very well made, quality unit. I'd post pics, but it looks just like yours.

Neil, thanks for that tip about running the cable. Did mine the same way, using the Pro Clip tool.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Randy, I want to thank you for bringing Pro Clip to my/our attention.
Like Randy, and now Klamalama, I'm a big fan of proclip. I actually have at least one mount in all of our vehicles (4 now with 2 kids). I actually have 3 in my Equinox (the Q50 is my wifes). In my Equinox, I have one for my Note 2, one to hold my music player (a Cowon Z that provides far superior audio to any other audio device out there) and one for my Samsung Tab 7" tablet (which is what I use for GPS).

Using what Proclip calls their "Device Mounting Adapter (Device Mounting Adapter - ProClip USA), I have made all of the mount and device holders in all of the vehicles interchangeable. If I'm lucky enough to get to drive the Q50, I just move my Note 2 holder from the Nox to the Q50. Obviously, since the mounts are vehicle specific, they stay in place.

On a side note, I actually created a alternative mount because I wanted something in the Q before Proclip issued their Q50 mount. I used what ProClip calls their "Console Mount" (Console Mounts, Adjustable Vehicle Floor Console Mounts - ProClip USA) to create a mounting point about 1/3 of the way from the screen (next to the shifter). I thought about buying the mount made for the Q50, but I actually like the console mount better because the phone is closer (don't have to lean forward to control the phone and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be). I used the console mount combined with thier angled extension plate (both of which I already had from a different vehicle). The angled extension plate is here: Angled Extension Plate - ProClip USA

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested in this alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yeah I had one of these proclip mounts in my TL for my iphone. It was really durable and convenient. I love these mounts, a bit expensive but worth the price if you like to have it in a spot where its easily accessible.

I just put mine in the cupholder right now though :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you rotate the phone so its landscape do you have any issues with cord length? Curious if leave a few extra inches of cord would detract from the clean look.
Haven't tried landscape at all. Right now, there isn't much slack. I have the cord tucked underneath so that it's a neat install. If the cord was black, it would be invisible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had one of these in my 06 TL and it worked great! It had great grip on the iphone; however, over time, if you kept turning the base from vertical to horizontal, the screw inside would let off. Come to find out, the screw that holds the phone base onto the mount has thread-locker (thread-glue) on it. Overtime the thread-locker must have worn-off and it eventually just laid horizontally. This was quite some time ago (2009); nevertheless, I'm sure the they must have improved upon their defects.

TL;DR- I bought it, it worked great, than it broke. They should have fixed the problem by now, I would buy it again.

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey Randy, how wide can your holder hold up if the phone have a case? My phone's dimension with case on is 2.75" in width and 5.25" tall. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Randy, I want to thank you for bringing Pro Clip to my/our attention. I've had it installed for a few days, and it works great. It's a very well made, quality unit. I'd post pics, but it looks just like yours.

Neil, thanks for that tip about running the cable. Did mine the same way, using the Pro Clip tool.
Also ordered the proclip based on this thread. Very happy with the install. Covered the little exposed part of the lightning iphone cable with some black tape. Feels very solid and real easy to mount and unmount the phone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did you consider mounting it on the other side of the console? I like the look a lot!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.