Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't even know these ROTA KB-Rs existed. I've always been a fan of ROTAs and never had a quality issue at all.

They should be a perfect fitment for the Q50, they are light at 22lbs, they clear Akebonos, and you can find them for <$300/ea. 19x9.5 +40. That is going to be near perfect flush on Q50 with no poke. You can run 255/40s or 265/35s depending on if you want more or less sidewall. I got them in Hyper Black which is somewhere between black and gunmetal. They are very glossy.

I had the ESR RF2 19x8.5 +30s and I really like them. I really wanted to get the 19x9.5 +35mm RF2 when I originally ordered, but I didn't want the poke from that offset so I went with the 19x8.5. I couldn't find a 19x9.5 that wasn't a +22 or +35 besides the Nismos. I think this wheel design fits the Q50 perfectly which is why I was happy I found the KB-Rs.

Side by side, you can tell that the ROTAs are a little sexier; they have thinner spokes and a little more concave.

I am not installing them until next week. I need to decide if I want new tires or not; the current tires are at 60%. There are some pretty good 4th of July sales right now.

Original setup

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

ESR vs. ROTA KB-F

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I like them!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
9.5 with a 40 offset is perfect to me as well and you can still turn full lock to lock without rubbing, at least on an 18.

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
130 Posts
Those are nice. Never heard of Rota. Who are you buying them from?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'd go ahead and replace those tires, they're Hankook so it's not like they're worth using other than to keep the rim from touching the ground.

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Very nice! The new ones are a little sexier 🔥

·
Registered
986 Posts
Those are nice. Never heard of Rota. Who are you buying them from?
Rota is a Philippino wheel company that's been around since the 70s. They've been oem mfgs for most major car mfgs but on the aftermarket side, they did lots of cast aluminum knock offs and still do. They wheels were super cheap but still safe as all their wheels have to pass jwl and via test standards. They also do forging and spin forge so they have lighter weight wheels too.

Rotas most well known wheel is probably the slipstream followed by the CSR and maybe then the p45 and finally the grid. They are all knock offs of "real" wheels but are far FAR less expensive. Perhaps one limitation is that 19" wheel options can be tricky to find in some designs. They generally do 15-18" sizes as that's what most track rats use. The slipstreams are very common to use but it's a guilty pleasure since no one wants to admit they use Rotas but they're super cheap and reliable lol.

Snobby assholes decided they were bad because they copied (not 100% but close enough) designs, because of course they would when they paid $4,000 for a set of wheels. I partially agree with them but at the same time, rota wheels ARE safe and mostly lightweight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rota is a Philippino wheel company that's been around since the 70s. They've been oem mfgs for most major car mfgs but on the aftermarket side, they did lots of cast aluminum knock offs and still do. They wheels were super cheap but still safe as all their wheels have to pass jwl and via test standards. They also do forging and spin forge so they have lighter weight wheels too.

Rotas most well known wheel is probably the slipstream followed by the CSR and maybe then the p45 and finally the grid. They are all knock offs of "real" wheels but are far FAR less expensive. Perhaps one limitation is that 19" wheel options can be tricky to find in some designs. They generally do 15-18" sizes as that's what most track rats use. The slipstreams are very common to use but it's a guilty pleasure since no one wants to admit they use Rotas but they're super cheap and reliable lol.

Snobby assholes decided they were bad because they copied (not 100% but close enough) designs, because of course they would when they paid $4,000 for a set of wheels. I partially agree with them but at the same time, rota wheels ARE safe and mostly lightweight.
This is very well put. Safe but unimaginative and cheap knockoffs. I bought the Rota knockoffs of the Work RE30s (SVNs) on a prior car. They seemed to knockoff Works the most.

I've run about 4 Rota sets with zero quality issues.

·
Registered
986 Posts
This is very well put. Safe but unimaginative and cheap knockoffs. I bought the Rota knockoffs of the Work RE30s (SVNs) on a prior car. They seemed to knockoff Works the most.

I've run about 4 Rota sets with zero quality issues.
they arent any less reliable than anything else and they do have brand recognition lol.

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
724 Posts
I use to buy Rota wheels all the time back in 2005 when I had a turbo Integra. They were light weight and cheap with good looks. I had no complaints on any of the different sets I had.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had Rota Tarmacs on my Subaru before I got the Q. One of them developed a hairline crack between spokes that caused an air leak. Unfortunately they discontinued the color I had a few years after I bought them so I wasn't even able to get a replacement. I wouldn't say the quality issues are completely unfounded.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts

I will disagree about safe. I have seen pictures of broken wheels at the track.

On the flip side, I saw a mangled rpf1 at Laguna Seca after hitting a burm. Didnt break...bent bad.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I will disagree about safe. I have seen pictures of broken wheels at the track.

On the flip side, I saw a mangled rpf1 at Laguna Seca after hitting a burm. Didnt break...bent bad.
up until recently, rota only made cast wheels. while they absolutely passed jwl and via standards for ROAD CARS, they werent track wheels though people used them as track wheels with varying degrees of success. they do have a flow formed wheel now (forgestar f14 replica), looking at their website. fitment industries did a nice segment on them a while back:

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here's how the setup turned out.

First off, it did clear big brakes but it is CLOSE. I would say 1mm clearance.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

I had Z1 Motorsports 2.5mm hubcentric spacers on tap just in the event there was contact. I went ahead and added them for piece of mind. There is still 8+ turns on the lugs, no worries there. You can also see the 73mm to 66.1mm hubcentric adapters for the hubs.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bumper Automotive lighting

This is with 265/35R19. It's amazing what a difference 0.3" shorter sidewall (27" OD for 255/50R19 vs. 26.3" OD for 265/35R19) makes on the appearance. It almost looked flush with the taller tire before. I like the lower profile. It almost looked like a touring setup before. Now I can see how y'all were running 9.5" wide wheels with +22mm offset; you just run the shorter tires.

I really really like the hyper black color. It is chrome in the way it reflects nearby colors, but isn't obnoxious and also doesn't look like a gloss black wheel.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Very meaty

Sky Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's what I am talking about regarding tire height. The wheel offsets puts the wheel lip to fender about the same here. The 255/40R19 tire height (top) makes the fitment look more flush but the tire does look a little tall to me.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
130 Posts
What are you doing with your ESRs - selling?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm really glad I went with cheap tires as I try to figure the fitment out. These 265/35R19s are too small on the 19x9.5s and I'm not a fan of the low profile. Tires are fine and ride fine, it's an aesthetic thing It drives me nuts when the wheel lip sticks out past the sidewall and also when the sidewall rolls inward from an appearance perspective. If I went $300-$400 tire, I would just stick with them as-is. Fortunately, I went $160 tire for some cheap Lexani LX Twentys that I can afford to eat a little on and resell.

I went ahead and ordered 285/35R19s; they are closer to stock OD, about .75" wider and little beefier sidewall. They should be very square on these wheels. From what I read they should clear with my offset. I'll confirm fitment and run them for a year and then go to a good tire.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle Number

1 - 20 of 27 Posts