Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My short history:

2013 Legacy 3.6R modded and tracked until BOOM!
2015 WRX over modded and undriveable... sold.

Infinitis I have had:
2004 G35 coupe 6mt black on black.
2005 G35 coupe 6mt black on black very light mods.
2012 G37S sedan 6mt black on black.

Now... 2018 Q50 Red Sport AWD white with black interior.

I have a simple desire for this car. I want to make it what a Nismo version may be. I am limited to off the shelf stuff and how I can make it fit my car. It is a little nutty, but after having something undriveable, I want to just have something that will hopefully be done in a tasteful manner.

At best, I may end up with a Nismo-esque finish. At worst, my true nature will rear its ugly head, and I will once again have an undriveable car.

Current mods:
* RSR Coilovers with extenders...mild drop...camber is ~ -1.8 all around.
* Nismo Z 2015+ wheels 19x9.5 +40 forged ~20#...10# loss per wheel
* RE71R 275/35/19 (30# like runflats)
* CF driveshaft (1# drop but better response)
* AMS heat exchanger
* AMS coolant expansion tank
* Z1 rear LSD
* SPC front and rear adjustable control arms
* Z1 2 piece F/R rotors
* GTHaus Exhaust
* Braille i34CX - Intensity Carbon Group 34 battery

On order or to be installed:
* Ecutek with Bluetooth
* Custom tune

Future plans
* KW V3 coilovers (not yet released but my new installer may be of help)
* F/R anti-sway bars (currently Stillen offers only a rear...again, my new installer may be of help)

Nismo wheel fitment thread:
https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/122989-rs-awd-19x9-5-50-275-35-19-trials.html

Dyno:
350whp/362wtq on mustang dyno.
No mods running 91 octane

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hello and welcome sir.

All very tasteful changes , not sure I'd spend the money for the Brembo brakes but I love the Nismo Z wheels and the lower ride height and new rubber should go a long way
to improving performance. But as Scary said AMS is pretty much the performance arm of Nissan now, and have you covered too some pretty insane levels. lol

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm a fan of the DBA T-slots.

Tunerz Store offered me a pretty good deal for 5000s up front, 4000s in the back, Hawk HPS pads and SS lines, which is the same setup I have on the GT-R. Shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
But, watch them serpentine engines, they're notorious for snapping at exactly 500whp.

:X
Oh come on Scary he isn't going to get that reference, also that was Max not me. lol

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all suggestions are welcome.

a complete ams setup would justify a Red Alpha badge. I want something unique. If I go all in, withbthe gtr seats, we are talking stupid numbers of $$, $$$. A Nismo rendition of the Q50 would be a unique car.

Just need some patience as it is not going to come together overnight. But, I dont want it to take more than a year either.

I want the GTR brembos. those are 390mm. older GTRs had 380mm brembos. I can live with those. While Akebono has a larger brake than the one on the red sport, it is still Akebono and wont stand out like a Brembo on a GTR. I know I am talking about $5 for each axle for the 380mm. It is a little nutty to most.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I want the GTR brembos. those are 390mm. older GTRs had 380mm brembos. I can live with those. While Akebono has a larger brake than the one on the red sport, it is still Akebono and wont stand out like a Brembo on a GTR. I know I am talking about $5 for each axle for the 380mm. It is a little nutty to most.
Just in case your GTR brembos won't fly out, you can still have the AP racing that Stillen sells for a little over $3k (front kit) that's also 390mmx36mm rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yep.. those are the larger akebonos I mentioned. I only saw a front brake upgrade on Z1 motorsports site. And, you just mentioned a front only on stillen's site. I wonder if there is a rear Radi-Cal version. I will look/call around, but this would he my last resort. I dont mind having a bracket fabricated for the fronts. I have seen Brembo gtr series 380mm brakes for q50 RWD but not for AWD.

My worst case is to get the brakes, and if the shop cant make them work in a safe manner, then I can sell them.

To throw some sanity into this conversation so you guys know I am not completely nuts, I know the brakes on my red sport are big enough for any purpose with a proper rotor/pad combo. And, the logical upgrade to the Radi-Cal fronts would be the 14.5 not the 15.4 as the factory akebonos are 14.

Now back to the madness....

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just called AP in UK, but they are closed...aaaargh...

I found AP racing and Brembo BBK for Q50 on Eavasive Motorsports.
Rear Radi-Cal APR555800: 380x28mm (2014 - )
Front Radi-Cal APR55300: 390x36mm (2014 - )
Front Radi-Cal II AP2R55300-3: 390x36mm (2014-2017)

Front Brembo GT-S BR-1M3-9020AS_5 : 380x32 (Q60S 2014 +) ... wondering if it will fit Q50 as it doesn't say RWD only.
Rear Brembo GT-S BR-2P3-8021AS_5 : 345x28 (Q60S 2-14+) ...again wondering if it fits AWD

Brembo GT-R version. carid has them listed for 2014 to 2017 RWD only.
Front 2 piece slotted 380x32mm 1M2.9051AR
Rear 2 piece slotted 380x28mm 2P2.9054AR

Black calipers is GT-S verion Silver one is GT-R version. I have to find out which one is the lighter/better set that fits...AP/GT-S/GT-R

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I called Race Technologies in Irvine, CA. They handle the brembo aftermarket sales/engineering. Couldn't get confirmation on fitment. I could take my car in, but that would be a 6 hour drive each way.

Thanks to another member, I found AP Racing Radi-Cal and Radi-Cal II BBK for F/R and for AWD on Stillen.

They are listing up to 2017 not 2018, but here is the link:
https://www.stillen.com/brakes/brake-kits/ap-racing/vehicle/2017-infiniti-q50.html

Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL II Front 6-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
SKU: AP2R55200JR
Mfg Part #: AP2R55200JR
Front Kit
150g Lighter
33% Stiffer
Red 6-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 370x36mm (14.5"x1.4") Rotors

Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL Front 6-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
SKU: APR55200JR
Mfg Part #: APR55200JR
Front Kit
Red 6-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 370x36mm (14.5"x1.4") Rotors

Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL Front 6-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
SKU: APR55300JR
Mfg Part #: APR55300JR
Front Kit
Red 6-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 390x36mm (15.4"x1.4") Rotors

SKU: AP2R55300JR
Mfg Part #: AP2R55300JR
Front Kit
150g Lighter
33% Stiffer
Red 6-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 390x36mm (15.4"x1.4") Rotors

Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL Rear 4-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
SKU: APR55800JR
Mfg Part #: APR55800JR
Rear Kit
Red 4-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 380x28mm (15"x1.1") Rotors

Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL II Rear 4-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
SKU: AP2R55800JR
Mfg Part #: AP2R55800JR
Rear Kit
100g Lighter
28% Stiffer
Red 4-Piston Calipers
J-Hook Rotors
2-Piece 380x28mm (15"x1.1") Rotors

Note: The 390x36 disc weighs 19.2# per essexparts:
https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing-j-hook-rings-39036rh

In comparison, the Z1Motorsports 2 piece front disc (disc only) weighs 19 to 20...rough weight as I called Z1. They weighed a box of 2 rings. I was expecting less.

Still undecided on the correct path.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
first post updated

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dude I am excited for your car... can you plz post pictures so I can live vicariously through you.

I can't justify too much more on my Q as I'm saving for a house but damned if I can't get my joy seeing others.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok Boxy...first post updated, and here are a few pics of how the wheels/tires fit before a proper alignment is done with SPC control arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dude, love the finish on the rims, and they look dope on a Q. Glad there's more Majestic White '18 Qs on here now!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I may be drunk and unable to read before posting ... I now see the posts where you found it. Leaving my original up anyway.

yep.. those are the larger akebonos I mentioned. I only saw a front brake upgrade on Z1 motorsports site.
(Stillen.com) Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL Front 6-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers
(Stillen.com) Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL Rear 4-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers

Definitely not Akebono and will look just like Brembo, AP Racing's parent organization.

Stillen's website is not the best ... I believe I found the Radi-CAL II versions:
Infiniti Q50/Q60 Radi-CAL II Rear 4-Piston J-Hook Big Brake Kit - Red Calipers

For ease, search by AP Racing then filter by car:
https://www.stillen.com/brakes/brake-kits/ap-racing/vehicle/2017-infiniti-q60.html?limit=36

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep...my bad as I glazed over the product name and posted. I meant to edit my post, but now there is a guy somewhere reading my post wondering what Akebono BBK is he talking about...ROTFL!!!!

Are you saying AP's parent organization is Brembo...and is there any similarity between the two??? If so, this becomes interesting.

I reached out to Ken at KNS brakes. They were great support for me with my Subarus. He will get back to me if he can find anything.

I got a call back from Race Technologies (The racing BBK, etc. portion of Brembo), but again, they haven't done a fitment for AWD only the RWD, and can not confirm any Brembo BBK for my AWD. I have an open invitation to drop my car off for a day next time I go down to Disneyland (CA) for them to check fitment...which I would love to do next week, but work and life aren't gonna allow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you saying AP's parent organization is Brembo...and is there any similarity between the two??? If so, this becomes interesting.
Brembo acquired AP Racing in 2000. I heard, about a decade ago, that AP Racing was operating "independently"; however, some innovations over the years seem to have found their way into products of both. I, personally, consider AP Racing, Brembo, and StopTech to all be on the same tier.

Brembo front and rears at CarID: Brembo - GT Series Curved Vane Type III 2-Piece Rotor Big Brake Kit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts