Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thanks for the link but those are 355mm.

If I get calipers, I am definitely getting larger rotors. Else, just the 2 piece front and rear rotors from Z1.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Reactions: Loring

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
thanks... I will look into it.

Doing about $9 to $10 worth of damage with this round of mods. Brakes will wait.

Looks like the 380mm front and the rear Brembos are gonna run me about $8 plus another $whatever for install.

Brembo also has a GT-S kit for around the same price. Fitment of GT-S kit not confirmed. I will have to do some comparisons. If I am looking at another $9 worth of brakes, I may wait until March 15...

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We're looking at starting early November for SPC control arms all around.

By then, we should know if we can get a custom set of F/R anti-sway bars for the AWD.

I should be trying on either the RE71R or Sport Cup 2 by end of this week. The PS4 is better with the wider wheel, but still a bit sloppy for my taste.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
$8 for Brembos is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
not waiting for sport cup 2. the re71r is here. where the sidewall meets the tread is significantly stiffer. they had a ps4 for comparison.

it is a lot like my old rt615k.

it is 100 cheaper per tire and slightly better tteadwear than sport cup2. i would have preferred an asymetric design to make tire rotation simple, but dont care enough about that.

i will post up drive difference/slop/response. expecting better ultimate grip as it is a lower utqg tire than ps4.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Small update to the tire saga.

I called Americas Tire this morning and the Pilot Sport Cup 2 had arrived. I stopped by to take a look and grab that sidewall. I was reluctant because I did not want it to be as stiff as the RE71R and I didn't want to regret my decision.

I'll put it on a scale of 1 to 10 for stiffness at the corner of sidewall and tread. If Continental DW is a 1 and the RE71R is a 10, the PS4 is a 4 and the Sport Cup 2 is a 6.

Yes, the Sport Cup 2 for all its raves is weaker than the RE71R at that location. IMHO, this does not make for quick lane changes and tire response. I have no doubt the Sport Cup 2 has great ultimate grip. It may (or may not) have more ultimate grip than the RE71R. However, for an AWD with my style of driving, the RE71R will perform better.

With Michelins, you will need a decent amount of stretch to keep the contact patch from having some slop.

The RE71R runs a tad wider (tread) than the PS4. Still, it has less slop when I rock the car side to side. Go to your front fender and carefully push the car to the side in quick little jolts (don't push in your fender). You will see what I am talking about.

Reactions: Loring

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,346 Posts
I'd like a stiffer AWD FRONT seay bar. If you find a source for one please post a link/source.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'd like a stiffer AWD FRONT seay bar. If you find a source for one please post a link/source.
my installer/tuner/shop is trying to work something out so he can sell F/R for AWD under his own name. I wont go into specifics, but it is not a no name company with which he is trying to work a deal.

We need beefier anti sway bar, more spring, tires with good sidewalls, and more negative camber... at least that is what my subaru experience is telling me about AWD.

it is not as bad as a subaru with the motor hanging over the front end, but it needs a little help.

I contacted RSR and spoke with someone about the possibility of getting custom spring and valving. Havent heard back for almost a month. I may follow up on that or wait for my guy to wrap up the anti swaybar deal and then push for coilovers with same company.

In the end, it all comes down to how much....

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A few things that were done 2 weeks ago: Z1 Rear LSD, CF driveshaft, smoke test, leakdown, and serpentine belt alignment check

Today, the car is in for:

AMS Heat Exchanger

AMS Coolant expansion tank

Z1 Motorsports 2-piece F/R rotors for a total of ~ 30# weight reduction

Steel Braided brake lines

Oil change

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If I can't see it without logging in, I'm not gonna see it.

Yeah, I was at America's Tire.

I test fitted a 275/35/19 RE71R and a Sport Cup 2.

No surprise, that the Sport Cup 2 had a narrower tread. It was clearing my fender without issue. The RE71R was darn close. We rolled the car back and forth to let the suspension settle. I asked the kid to sit in the back as I sized up the spacing. Then I had him get out and I stood at the foot-sill jumping up and down and having him make sure we can clear the fender....

...and it clears by a hair to the outside corner of the tread (imagine the rounded corner between the tread and sidewall. If it clears to there, I think I will be fine. Worst case, I will give it a tiny little pull to clear. Shouldn't damage anything.

I ordered 4 more tires so I will have one as a backup. If I like this setup, I'll get a second set of wheels and get 3 more tires to have a second set ready to go.

I need to know if the extra grip is worth the extra 2# to 3# per corner and the every so slightly increase in final drive ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
in my buzzed stupor, I am vowing that I will buy a GTR... no more #ucking around.... January of 2020....

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For better or for worse, I just pulled the trigger on:

1. GT Haus GT exhuast
2. Aluminum undertray

I already have the Fast Intentions LDPs (in a box)

I believe I will run FI LDP, GT Haus exhaust, and have Rob tune the car with Ecutek.

I was there this morning getting my car on the dyno just to see what the JB4 was doing. Threw a P0500 code as I was in 2wd mode on a 2wd dyno, but the JB4 cleared it out.

FWIW, the car with 96 octane and E15 made just 5hp more than 91.

Also, the JB4 with my map6 was on par with Rob's "unfinished" tune on 91. Not a true apples to apples as maybe the JB4 boost can be increased in some areas. 381/404 JB4 vs 383/392 Ecutek.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
That Aluminium under-tray has been tempting me as well, too lazy to take off the aero panels so I always end up cleaning oil
Off the under-side post change.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Reactions: Boxy

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,346 Posts
20 20 hindsight.. That GTR or R8 may have been a better choice 4 me. Now that I'm single again I don't need the space. I'm waiting on a bigger turbo setup like the RS600 kit AMS is working on. I'm ready to go for: injectors, HPFP, turbos, and a re-map. Hopefully that will do it. I just want 450/530 on pump 93. I still like the sleeper idea.

The new Corvettes look good. I may go to Ford in Keene NH today and ask about the GTG Mustangs. Also today my sister called and said I may get my brother's Lotus Elise. I could trade that in on an Exige.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
20 20 hindsight.. That GTR or R8 may have been a better choice 4 me. Now that I'm single again I don't need the space. I'm waiting on a bigger turbo setup like the RS600 kit AMS is working on. I'm ready to go for: injectors, HPFP, turbos, and a re-map. Hopefully that will do it. I just want 450/530 on pump 93. I still like the sleeper idea.

The new Corvettes look good. I may go to Ford in Keene NH today and ask about the GTG Mustangs. Also today my sister called and said I may get my brother's Lotus Elise. I could trade that in on an Exige.
Add a supercharger and suspension bits. Only based on what I saw at a local shop.

Local shop was running a fleet of Lotus cup cars and renting them for $1500 to $5000 a day depending on support.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,346 Posts
Add a supercharger and suspension bits. Only based on what I saw at a local shop.

Local shop was running a fleet of Lotus cup cars and renting them for $1500 to $5000 a day depending on support.
Really the big difference is FI. It may be less $ to add the parts than trading up.
I need to research this IF I get the car.
Waiting on Z1, Nostrum, or AMS to come out with the turbo bolt on upgrade for the Q50/60.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts