Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have an idea how to completely remove the front ashtray and replace it with some sort of storage cubby maybe just for keys storage since it's not big enough for a phone.
thank you

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
does anyone have an idea how to completely remove the front ashtray and replace it with some sort of storage cubby maybe just for keys storage since it's not big enough for a phone.
thank you
It is not an ashtray as it is felt lined so I assume it was meant for the key fob or registration/insurance. It more than likely was designed to be an ashtray with a lighter for the Q50L in China. I would think that removing the internals would negate the flip up cover. If you did make it deeper to fit a phone, you would not be able to remove it when the car was in park.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure it's an ashtray, (im a smoker) lol. for some reason i dont see the felt line cover, i can take the metal part out and there is just a hole in there. again i could be wrong but ill post pictures

·
Registered
92 Posts
here are the pictures of my car ashtray
That does indeed look like an ashtray!
;-)
Where are you located? If in the US perhaps this was an international model of the Q50?
All the ones I've been in and mine all have the plastic ashtray portion removed and are felt covered.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NC, the car wish initially sold in NY

·
Registered
340 Posts
mine has the same thing. Purchased in NY although it was certified used. That said the dealer was the only previous owner so I know it was usdm model.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2015 had an ashtray and my 2016 has a felt lined cubby hole. There was a change in 2016. Also 2014/15 has a spare tire and jack while the 16 and up have nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My 2015 had an ashtray and my 2016 has a felt lined cubby hole. There was a change in 2016. Also 2014/15 has a spare tire and jack while the 16 and up have nothing at all.
I cannot matter of factly speak to the ashtray change other than to say I have had a 14 and an 18 which, as i stated previous, had the felt lined cubby.

You are however, incorrect about the spare.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh? Please enlighten me on the spare tire? Why does my car not have a spare. I looked at several 2016 and 17 Red Sports and none of them came with a spare? As for the felt line cubby my 16 is a Red Sport and my 15 was a Sport. Other than that I don’t know what else to say.
I cannot matter of factly speak to the ashtray change other than to say I have had a 14 and an 18 which, as i stated previous, had the felt lined cubby.

You are however, incorrect about the spare.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh? Please enlighten me on the spare tire? Why does my car not have a spare. I looked at several 2016 and 17 Red Sports and none of them came with a spare? As for the felt line cubby my 16 is a Red Sport and my 15 was a Sport. Other than that I don’t know what else to say.
No. Just search the forums and take my word for it.

Zzzzz. Fine... I will do it.

https://youtu.be/Tm-Klhi9S_I?t=28m

Here is the 2018 Q50 dealer order form

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/diy-garage/106018-how-add-spare-tire-kit-2017-q50-2.html#post1214282

There are other references floating around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you for sharing :) Auto Fanatic! I follow this guy lol but I primarily watch his videos about his GT350. He mentioned that it is an option which I found out recently. My 2015 was equipped with it as a standard feature however.

No. Just search the forums and take my word for it.

Zzzzz. Fine... I will do it.

https://youtu.be/Tm-Klhi9S_I?t=28m

Here is the 2018 Q50 dealer order form

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/diy-garage/106018-how-add-spare-tire-kit-2017-q50-2.html#post1214282

There are other references floating around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Guys,

New Owner here. I have an ashtray as well. I've actually been using it for holding a small microfiber cloth (the type of cloth that typically comes when you purchase sunglasses).

I use this microfiber cloth for: (1) cleaning my sunglasses, but most importantly (2) using it to clean the fingerprint smudges that show up on the InTouch touchscreen. I've had the car for less than a week and have found myself having to clean the screen at least 2-3 times already. Granted, I'm pretty OCD, but just thought I'd give a suggestion for how to use this tiny compartment if you're a non-smoker.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,183 Posts
I keep my WiFi OBD2 plug-in module in that little cubby hole when not in use...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm pretty sure they changed it depending on the year. 2014 had a standard felt-lined storage pocket, then 2015 like mine had the removable ashtray with a 12V outlet. Then I think (correct me if I'm wrong) 2016+ went back to the felt-lined with the outlet.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,359 Posts
I keep my WiFi OBD2 plug-in module in that little cubby hole when not in use...
What app do you use in conjunction with this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if this thread is dead. Aside from not knowing what the mystery whole is for. Has anyone made like a 3d mold for something that could go in it's place? Aside from a airlift controller I haven't seen much else. Curious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts