Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been having an issue with my passenger side front bumper not lining up. I can push it back but it always comes out of place after driving. Can anyone tel me what clip I need to replace to fix this issue? See pic

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had exactly this issue at the same position – my shop fixed it by the way, but I don't know how...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same issue on both sides of mine, but not nearly as bad as yours is.
Dealer said they have seen it happen when someone drags the lip hard on a parking curb (which clearly was done by the former owner of my car based on the scrapes under the winglets).

They would not touch it, but said a body shop could easily realign it. I'm assuming there are some plastic clips that hold it in place, but can't find any diagram for them or part #. :(

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
I don't know how much help this is but here is the diagram for the front bumper with the various pawl and fixing clamp locations. I don't have any part numbers though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like there are 2 screws/bolts that hold it to the fender, so probably adjustable if you have a lift or can get the front up on jacks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same issue on my drivers side 2016 SS VR30 AWD Q50, took it to the stealership and they held it there for a week...they claimed they "fixed" it, but that was a total lie. They said they took it to a auto body shop and realigned the bumper and put new clips in it. All they really did was tack on some touch up paint where it rubbed off between the bumper and body panel and called it good ! Keep in mind there was no body, bumper, or collision damage whatsoever.
Whoever purchased my old off lease 2016 Q50 SS did well as I kept that car in pristine condition and well maintained
with fresh Amsoil Signature Series Oil and Oil Filter religiously changed at 5K miles and Mopar High Flow Air filters every 10K miles...Never raced or abused for the 32K miles it was kept. Interestingly, it never had any of the typical problems some other Infiniti owner have had in the past.

There is a reason why they are called stealerships, it's nearly impossible to find a honest and dependable dealership
that's willing to do the right thing for their customers...This seems to be a particular ongoing problem with Infiniti as
they are hemorrhaging money and are often refusing to honor their warranty repair work, especially when it comes to the turbo's with it's known issues, and the fuel injectors which are also known to go bad...Then of course there is the serpentine belt/alignment issue as well. The few pieces of good news is the 2018+ MY's seem to have less issues with the above noted items.

Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks like there are 2 screws/bolts that hold it to the fender, so probably adjustable if you have a lift or can get the front up on jacks.
Here's a pic snipped from my AMS HE directions. Just pull the liner back and see what's going on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Per A53’s diagram above - The (2) Front Bumper Fascia Bracket RH and (20) Front Bumper Fascia Bracket LH are used as retaining clips, so that the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs at the Right-side and Left-side can clip into (2) and (20) respectively. The red arrows below indicate where the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs clip into (2) and (20).

Diagram of (2) Front Bumper Fascia Bracket RH and (20) Front Bumper Fascia Bracket LH:

Photos of (20) and Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs:

If the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs are broken, they may not properly clip into (2) and (20). If so, you might be able to use a strong, weather-resistant plastic weld to bond the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs back together. Please note that the Plastic Tabs are actually part of the front bumper, so you can’t just simply buy a new tab for it.

When I had first gotten my car, I had the same issue as you at the Right-side (passenger-side). The dealership I bought my car from attempted to fix the issue twice, and they thought they did twice, but by the time I had received my car back both times and drove it for a few miles, the issue kept popping up (pun intended). That dealership was 100 miles away from where I lived. So, that dealership sent my business/issue over to my nearest dealership at 9 miles away. The 9 miles away dealership had to send my car to their body shop twice to finally get the issue fixed. That body shop used weather-resistant plastic weld to get the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs put back into place. It held up for a while... Until I recently took my front bumper off to put in an AMS HE - It then broke off :confused::mad:

After that, when I had installed my front splitter, I took the bumper off and attempted to plastic weld the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs at the Right-side using “Strongest Super Glue by HG Power Glue” from Amazon. After that repair, It clipped into (2)... But after driving a few miles, both the Right-side (passenger) and Left-side (driver) now pop out...

Maybe the front splitter is causing this. The Left-side (not broken, without my repair) pops out when the bottom of the splitter hits something - I think that this may be a good thing because that gives some leeway for the bumper to move after absorbing the force. Or, it’s broken now lol. The Right-side (broken, with my repair) always pops out after driving a few miles, even when the bottom of the splitter doesn’t hit anything - I think the aerodynamic wind forces that hit the splitter + front bumper, or natural vibrations from driving the car, is causing the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs to unclip from (2). Or, my repair didn’t work... I dunno man.

When I have the time to, I may zip tie the Front Bumper’s Plastic Tabs to (2) and (20).

For now, I just pop them back into place every now and then lol.

:sigh:😩 The sh!t we gotta endure for our modified cars to keep ‘em looking good (for me at least lol).

If your car’s still under warranty, make sure your dealership’s body shop handles it (my car’s currently out of warranty).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the help. I have actually taken the front bumper of to install my lip but couldn’t tell the difference between the side. Maybe there is a clip I’m missing. I’ll use the diagram and see if I can figure it out. The dealer didn’t want to look at it even though it’s a CPO. I’ll try my body shop to see if they can help

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
The dealer didn’t want to look at it even though it’s a CPO.
This is complete bull**** unless the dealer is effectively saying you damaged it after driving off the lot. If the bottom of the bumper cover is all scuffed up indicating it has hit something like an in-drive or parking curb, you really have no proof that you didn't do it.

Or is it possible for these tabs on the front bumper to be damaged from an owner ham-handedly removing the bumper cover and they were unfamiliar with the proper way to disengage these tabs without damaging them? This is why I have never removed a bumper cover in my life. Even the factory service manuals are quite often ambiguous when it comes to removing certain trim parts.

I'm guessing the only true way to make a long lasting repair is a new bumper cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is complete bull**** unless the dealer is effectively saying you damaged it after driving off the lot. If the bottom of the bumper cover is all scuffed up indicating it has hit something like an in-drive or parking curb, you really have no proof that you didn't do it.

Or is it possible for these tabs on the front bumper to be damaged from an owner ham-handedly removing the bumper cover and they were unfamiliar with the proper way to disengage these tabs without damaging them? This is why I have never removed a bumper cover in my life. Even the factory service manuals are quite often ambiguous when it comes to removing certain trim parts.

I'm guessing the only true way to make a long lasting repair is a new bumper cover.
unfortunately I’m not the original owner and this has been happening since I bought the car. I take it to a different dealer for service and they wanted to charge me to look at it. I’ll just figure it out myself. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
@Yardi78 - Keep us updated on what you end up doing to figure it out. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts