Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with the 3.0T, are you always using 93 octane or have you found it acceptable to use 89?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Ok, I'll be the first of possibly many replies that will say something like this;

After spending a bundle of money on a performance/luxury car why would you cheap out on the gasoline and not get top performance out of your car?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I personally would not go below below 91, and I’d only use 91 if 93 was not available. Granted I’m trying to get as much performance I can and running much more boost with the JB4, if I used 91 or below with my mapping, my timing would be messed up causing issues down the road. I guess it all depends on your set up but as a person that sells Infinitis, i tell all my customers to not go below 91.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Ok, I'll be the first of possibly many replies that will say something like this;

After spending a bundle of money on a performance/luxury car why would you cheap out on the gasoline and not get top performance out of your car?
I believe I already said that in a previous post when someone asked the same question.

Infiniti recommends using 93 AKI octane number fuel and states 91 AKI octane number fuel is the minimum one should use in the Q50.

They also say 87 AKI octane number fuel may be temporarily used if premium gas is not available only under the following conditions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Ditto on 93! It's all my car gets. 93 Shell in fact. Best MPG I've gotten compared to Irving top tier 93. Sunoco is also good. I used to use Sunoco 94 in the old days, back b4 10% alcohol.

I have a Shell rewards card which gives me $0.05 off a gallon. Currently paying $3.10 for 93 with the card in VT.

I tried 89 a few times when I first got my car, but loss of power and poor MPG validated the need for 91+. I do have different EcuTec maps for 91, 92, 93+ octane. Oh, and a requested OEMish map too. That way I can return to stock performance to show people just what the performance tune does.

If I take it to the dealership, I will return to stock first, but that takes the laptop and 20 minutes. A PITA.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I'll have to remember that Petro Canada is the place to get fuel when I go across Trans Canada 17 from Cornwall to the Sioux. FANTASTIC drive except for Ottawa.

North Bay has a strip joint called Fannies or Fatties as I called it. For a few years the place right next to it, in the same building, was a religious store called "The Bible Store".
I so wanted to get that picture of the two signs side by side. The next year I was going to stop to take it, but Fannies/fatties moved around to the back of the building. I missed a fantastic picture. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...just picked up the new RS. I have all intentions on using Shell 93 but I know that some cars recommend Premium but also say that 87 is OK. I was just checking to see if anyone used a lower octane without issue but I did just read the book and saw what @Avedis53 stated above.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Thanks...just picked up the new RS. I have all intentions on using Shell 93 but I know that some cars recommend Premium but also say that 87 is OK. I was just checking to see if anyone used a lower octane without issue but I did just read the book and saw what @Avedis53 stated above.
The stickers I have seen inside fuel doors have either stated "Premium Recommended" or "Premium Required". Slightly different meanings. No sticker, burn what you want.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you want to run less than 91/93, then you might have considered not buying an RS. However, the 3.0t in either 300HP or 400HP, in my opinion deserves, top tier 93 (if you can get it, otherwise 91) octane fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That reminds me...there is a guy on the myg37 forum that has a total woodrow, like a huge hodgie if you will, for 87 octane and has made arguments over the years on the merits of 87 octane over anything higher. Granted he had a car with the 3.7 motor in it, but it's interesting nevertheless. Especially in a motor with 11.0:1 compression...at low altitudes close to sea level. I would not be getting on it in a 3.7 or the 3.0 TT with 87 octane. It's asking for detonation. Detonation woman can I be your man? (Shameless rip and modification of a Def Leppard lyric...lol).

https://www.myg37.com/forums/the-lounge-off-topic/206566-how-disappointed-are-you-with-poor-g37-gas-mileage-44.html#post4252555

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My 3.7 knocked badly with 89. Granted it was the IPL with the higher output ECU tuning. I only tried it 2x. Uggg. Huge mistake. Up hill with even 1/2 throttle it pinged.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Yeah, I don't run anything but Shell 93 and no issues or pinging.
Ditto! Big difference from Irving top tier 93. No going back. With the rewards card the same, or only $0.05 more a gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I alternate between 100 and 91 at about 1/4 to 1/2 tank. At times, I may have 93, 95 or 97.

Yes, it is expensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Th difference between filling up with 89 vs 93 is less than 4 bucks a tank.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I put in 1/2 tank of 87 before I returned my loaner Q50. :run:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I put in 1/2 tank of 87 before I returned my loaner Q50. :run:
LOL I'm sure everybody fills up rentals and loaner cars with 89.

Oh, a good app for your smartphone is available for octane mixing. "Octane Mix Calculator". The one with 3 yellow octane squares. Easy to use.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The real question is, how much octane booter is too much?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts