Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No secret. It's take a lots of patient and probably pissed off a few people driving behind me. You just have to set your mind to achieve it.
I probably not going to do it anymore. It's really take the fun out of driving especially the Q50 which meant to be driven hard.

How did you do this? Share it to me since we have the same packages on the car. Lol

Reactions: n_jay888

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I get exactly 20MPG whether in Sport mode or Standard. So I tend to drive in Sport (or personal with Sport engine setting). I think it usually shows mid-high 300's in the range.
When I select personal drive mode.. How do I have the sport engine settings?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
544 miles range. Who can top this :)
Maybe if I do 100% freeway driving. :eek:
I'm at probably 450.
I always fill up when the gas light goes off which I'm usually at around 400 miles, and the car thinks I have 50-60 miles left in the tank before it will run out.

400 (450) is mainly in bay area busy traffic, so it's not to shabby.
I think it usually takes about 14.75 Gallons as well when the light gas light comes on.. so about 27MPG.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Since I don't have a camera phone, I can't show a picture. However, since I easily get a real 35-36 mpg on a road trip, that would work out to close to 600 miles on the 17 gallon tank. When I averaged around 39 mpg on April's return road trip (as I explained, there were more downslopes than up slopes), the range would have been more than 600. You also have to realize that the range the car is showing is based on the 5-7% error in the fuel economy gauge. All this is not to knock the mileage you're getting. The next time you have all highway driving on a fill-up, check the real mileage, and then multiply by 17 to get the real range of the car.

As far as what settings to put the car in to get the best mileage (and enjoyment) out of the car, I don't know. I've never put the car in ECO mode, and I have to wonder whether it would make that much of a difference. Even if it did make some difference, it probably wouldn't be enough to make it worth cutting the performance of the car. Just my take on things.:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I drive 99% in sport mode and with 130 miles on this tank it says I have 279 left.

·
Registered
853 Posts
When I select personal drive mode.. How do I have the sport engine settings?
Press "Menu", then go to the next page and you will see an app for "Infiniti Drive Mode Selector" (I think that's what it's called) - these settings are your "Personal" setting on the actual selector.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The car is actually a CPO with 5,000 miles when i got it. It has 5,600 now. It should predict the gas mileage now right, or wait a little more?
At 5,600 miles it is well on its way to being broken in.

Could be driving conditions. Are you at a high elevation for example? Very stop and go L.A. traffic? Hot weather taxing the AC system? Driving habits. Are you hard on the throttle? Hard on the brakes? I brake moderately and watch the power meter so that I am taking advantage of the regen. Are the tires properly inflated to the recommended amount? Beyond that I don't know.

It may be just starting to learn your habits. Adaptive learning has been common in throttle response and transmission behavior for a long time now. For instance I know that Mercedes records forty driving cycles. It could take a month or two to get used to your style. I believe the hybrid system does something like this also. I have no verification of this. Just a hunch.

Now that the weather is warmer it seems much more eager to go into EV mode. There is a section of road on the way to my son's house that is very straight, flat and level. When there is no wind I can set the cruise control and run in EV mode for well over a mile at 55mph. Will yours do that?

·
Registered
540 Posts
At 5,600 miles it is well on its way to being broken in.

Could be driving conditions. Are you at a high elevation for example? Very stop and go L.A. traffic? Hot weather taxing the AC system? Driving habits. Are you hard on the throttle? Hard on the brakes? I brake moderately and watch the power meter so that I am taking advantage of the regen. Are the tires properly inflated to the recommended amount? Beyond that I don't know.

It may be just starting to learn your habits. Adaptive learning has been common in throttle response and transmission behavior for a long time now. For instance I know that Mercedes records forty driving cycles. It could take a month or two to get used to your style. I believe the hybrid system does something like this also. I have no verification of this. Just a hunch.

Now that the weather is warmer it seems much more eager to go into EV mode. There is a section of road on the way to my son's house that is very straight, flat and level. When there is no wind I can set the cruise control and run in EV mode for well over a mile at 55mph. Will yours do that?
My work is actually on a high level mountain area. 70% freeway, 30% city. And it is really warm where i work, about 5 degrees more to where i live. I have a heavy foot, braking or gas. Even my fiance told me. I am trying to drive on eco mode as much as i can, but its hard going up the mountain. The only time my EV mode kicks in is when i am goind down hill. As soon as i get to city driving, it is a lot of stop and go. I havent tried using the cruise control. Will that really help? I see my mpg rising everyday, but i am not sure it will go up pass 28 even on eco mode. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
n_jay888, I'd be surprised if you can get up a mountaint in ECO mode on the Hybrid.
It just seemed to serverly limit the throttle.
Give it a try and let us know.

I thought the car did better in mountain driving that city with traffic for gas mileage.

If your in up and down hills/mountains, and your not at freeway speeds, when you get into EV mode downhill put it in manual mode if you need a recharge.
It will drag the regen brake to try and maintain your speed in gear and charge you quickly.

·
Registered
540 Posts
n_jay888, I'd be surprised if you can get up a mountaint in ECO mode on the Hybrid.
It just seemed to serverly limit the throttle.
Give it a try and let us know.

I thought the car did better in mountain driving that city with traffic for gas mileage.

If your in up and down hills/mountains, and your not at freeway speeds, when you get into EV mode downhill put it in manual mode if you need a recharge.
It will drag the regen brake to try and maintain your speed in gear and charge you quickly.
I tried it a couple of times already on eco mode going up the mountain. It is hard and you are really pushing the gas going up because of the restriction on eco. I find myself switching to standard going up and eco going down so the EV turns on. Its a freeway so i do about 80 mph everytime since i am against traffic.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
My work is actually on a high level mountain area. 70% freeway, 30% city. And it is really warm where i work, about 5 degrees more to where i live. I have a heavy foot, braking or gas. Even my fiance told me. I am trying to drive on eco mode as much as i can, but its hard going up the mountain. The only time my EV mode kicks in is when i am goind down hill. As soon as i get to city driving, it is a lot of stop and go. I havent tried using the cruise control. Will that really help? I see my mpg rising everyday, but i am not sure it will go up pass 28 even on eco mode. Your thoughts?
I think we found where your gas is going. High temps, high elevation, heavy foot and from another post you admit to traveling at 80 mph. Mystery solved!

Eco mode by itself will not save much fuel. It slightly remaps the throttle response and shift points. Also provides some pushback on the pedal. It tries to make you a better driver but it can be easily defeated by pressing on the gas more. I never use it. I often use a custom mode where the steering is standard but the throttle and transmission are in sport mode. I don't do that to necessarily drive like a maniac but to give better response and precise control of the throttle.

My last car was a Pontiac G8 GT. 6.0L V8 (Holden Commodore SS). Under the same conditions I was getting 16.8 mpg. With the Q50 I am getting 28.2. Granted the cost savings aren't as great as I need to burn premium in the Q50 but regular or mid-grade in the G8. Still, I am getting performance equal to or better than that V8 while saving some money and having a smoother experience. The torque from that electric motor is pretty neat!

If fuel economy is your major concern you bought the wrong car. Prius or Jetta TDI.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think we found where your gas is going. High temps, high elevation, heavy foot and from another post you admit to traveling at 80 mph. Mystery solved!

Eco mode by itself will not save much fuel. It slightly remaps the throttle response and shift points. Also provides some pushback on the pedal. It tries to make you a better driver but it can be easily defeated by pressing on the gas more. I never use it. I often use a custom mode where the steering is standard but the throttle and transmission are in sport mode. I don't do that to necessarily drive like a maniac but to give better response and precise control of the throttle.

My last car was a Pontiac G8 GT. 6.0L V8 (Holden Commodore SS). Under the same conditions I was getting 16.8 mpg. With the Q50 I am getting 28.2. Granted the cost savings aren't as great as I need to burn premium in the Q50 but regular or mid-grade in the G8. Still, I am getting performance equal to or better than that V8 while saving some money and having a smoother experience. The torque from that electric motor is pretty neat!

If fuel economy is your major concern you bought the wrong car. Prius or Jetta TDI.
Thanks for your input. I bought the right car. I have owned a G35 and G37S prior to this car that i modded, so i know how the gas consumption is on a V6 car. I am just asking how to drive a hybrid because this is the first time i have owned one. I bought this car for performance and if i can save a little more gas than a non-hybrid Q.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks for your input. I bought the right car. I have owned a G35 and G37S prior to this car that i modded, so i know how the gas consumption is on a V6 car. I am just asking how to drive a hybrid because this is the first time i have owned one. I bought this car for performance and if i can save a little more gas than a non-hybrid Q.
Then you did buy the right car. It is a performance car, not an econo box.

I think you understand that to get better mileage you need to ease up on the right foot. Especially that 80mph cruise speed. That pretty much negates the hybrid advantages. Under other driving conditions, learn how to optimize the regen under coasting and breaking.

A good example is my own wife. If I see I am approaching a red light that has just changed I will let off and coast. She will continue at speed to be the first one there. Makes no sense but I shut up. "Pick your battles carefully".

·
Registered
540 Posts
Then you did buy the right car. It is a performance car, not an econo box.

I think you understand that to get better mileage you need to ease up on the right foot. Especially that 80mph cruise speed. That pretty much negates the hybrid advantages. Under other driving conditions, learn how to optimize the regen under coasting and breaking.

A good example is my own wife. If I see I am approaching a red light that has just changed I will let off and coast. She will continue at speed to be the first one there. Makes no sense but I shut up. "Pick your battles carefully".
Cool. Thanks so much. :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a non-hybrid and drive 40+ miles round trip in Atlanta traffic. I have averaged 20 -21 mpg in my month or so of ownership. I drive 50-50 standard/Eco on my commute. Sport mode on the weekends! Almost the exact same mileage as my V6 Accord, but with more grins. I am satsified.
Same here. I have a 50 mile commute every day. Time-wise, its 60% city and 40% hwy. Sitting at 22.3 MPG. Only 680 miles on the odometer so far.
I keep it in Standard drive mode 90% of the time.

Q50S w/ Tech

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yup - or you would have to fight 95% of all drivers who never act as idiotically in everyday's life as when they are behind the steering wheel and feel invincible (which by itself qualifies as "STUPID" in my books)

On a positive side - I love to play with people who jump in front of me (and I prey for them to flip me while they do) when I cost to get to red light - I find a way to get in front of them later on and give them life long experience of not been able to pass me and hit every single red light until they change the route...

As George Carlin said: "People are f***ng stupid"

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
428 miles on 18 gallons (based on fill up-not meter) on plain ole gasser - 85% on i90 while commuting to main office. I bet a lot of drivers put APV on me and bounty as well - I was cruising @73mph (which is NOT really fuel friendly)
I love that car :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ye I would 2nd this.
Learn how to ride the regen brakes early when your coming toward a red light.
It doesn't actually slow the car that much if you have the regenerative braking lightly to mildly engaged.

Same here. I have a 50 mile commute every day. Time-wise, its 60% city and 40% hwy. Sitting at 22.3 MPG. Only 680 miles on the odometer so far.
I keep it in Standard drive mode 90% of the time.

Q50S w/ Tech
It should get better as your car brakes in and learns your driving habits.
Unless your leaving it in SPORT MODE all the time.
In which case your just going to get below the EPA estimates.
Or you have a lead foot.

I'm pretty consistently getting 28.5 now that it's summer with about 20% freeway, 80% city.
A good chunk of my 80% city is in the bay area rush hour traffic.
This is measured at the gas pump, not at the computer.
The computer usually has me at 30.3 - 31.
It reads a little bit high.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I get 400 miles with 15 gallons on tank refill in the hybrid sports AWD on an average with 80%frw & 20% str driving.
I drive mostly in sports mode.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts