Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fully Customizable Performance Tune - Coming Soon.... Real Soon...Dyno Graph pics will be posted up soon as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't tease. SprayItRacing has done GTR tunes, need to see what can be accomplished on the Q50, and if tunes are available on hybrid model. Other mods usually provide minimal performance bump compared with an ECU tune (my now non-daily driver is a tuned RS6 making 520 HP), so it will be very interesting to see what may be offered here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't tease. SprayItRacing has done GTR tunes, need to see what can be accomplished on the Q50, and if tunes are available on hybrid model. Other mods usually provide minimal performance bump compared with an ECU tune (my now non-daily driver is a tuned RS6 making 520 HP), so it will be very interesting to see what may be offered here.
Is the audi APR tuned?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Sprayitracing does GTR tunes (still holding GTR records). The owner is actually my brother-in-law :D
We mapped my q50 computer and we will be tuning it with and without mods fairly soon.

Will keep you all updated....

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really don't see what an ECU tune is gonna do for this car. It's NA, there's not much that can be tweaked. A supercharged or turbo Audi? Absolutely. Even the 335i BMW or a VW GTI can see large gains by just a tune.

The VVEL hasn't been cracked yet on the 3.7, and that engine's been around since what, 2008? You guys should read up on the 3.7's abilities and shortcomings on the 370Z and G37 forums. Max HP from NA 3.7's are in the 330-340 range to the rear wheels. That's after adding Stillen G3's, full exhausts (including headers) with test pipes, and a host of other bolt-on's. It gets expensive quickly. Nobody has yet to find the magical ECU tune worth major HP, not even GTM.

I wish the OP luck though. If you find it I'll send a whole fourm of Z folks your way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really don't see what an ECU tune is gonna do for this car. It's NA, there's not much that can be tweaked.
Prior to my Audi, I had an M6 and 740i that had Dinan ECU tunes that significantly improved performance, and neither vehicle was turbocharged or supercharged. Yes, you can do a lot with those add ons, but the car manufacturers leave a lot on the table when they set their ECUs, as they expect that some will put lousy gas into the vehicle. They don't want that to ruin the engine with pinging and so they de-tune the maximum performance of the engine. I don't have any knowledge of how far the Infiniti engineers have pushed the envelope of this engine, but I have to believe there is more performance in there with 91+ octane gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Prior to my Audi, I had an M6 and 740i that had Dinan ECU tunes that significantly improved performance, and neither vehicle was turbocharged or supercharged. Yes, you can do a lot with those add ons, but the car manufacturers leave a lot on the table when they set their ECUs, as they expect that some will put lousy gas into the vehicle. They don't want that to ruin the engine with pinging and so they de-tune the maximum performance of the engine. I don't have any knowledge of how far the Infiniti engineers have pushed the envelope of this engine, but I have to believe there is more performance in there with 91+ octane gas.

Those were also BMW ecu's you were tuning, not Nissan. A tune will help if you're adding a bunch of bolt-on mods. Obviously, AF ratios and such change, and a tune will sort everything out. A tune on a stock car though is not worth it in my opinion, and Uprev is what most people use on 3.7 VQ's.

If you're coming to a Q50 from another manufacturer then you need to do some research on the 3.7 and what you can expect NA. Forced induction? Now that's a whole different story.

Not trying to be negative or sound condescending, you likely know more about modifying engines than I do. I've just seen too many snake oil claims of tunes that don't work on the 3.7.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Teddy, I am clueless as to how Nissan sets their stock ECUs, and if there is much room for improvement. I am most familiar with recent Audi tunes, and on some of their NA cars, very little additional gain can be achieved from the better tuners like APR. And yes, often bolt-on mods are necessary to achieve the gain. A free flow exhaust adds a bit but I guess we can still hope for more!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
My understanding has been that tuning isn't worth much unless the engine is forced-induced. That being said, I'm eager for another opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.