Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Q50 dribbling into showrooms as we speak, news comes that the G37 will continue to live alongside Q50. At least for one year.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore had this to say: "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that...There's a lot of movement with the [BMW] 320i and such, and this allows us a two-tier strategy to compete,"

Infiniti feels they could be risking lower end sales with the slightly more upscale Q50 and are hoping that keeping the G37 on tap will fuel a two tiered clean up strategy.

Confusing I know

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Stupid. Infiniti introduces the Q naming scheme to take affect in one swoop but keeps the G for a little while longer....while still rebadging the G coupe.

Will they lower the msrp for the G37 in the meantime? Poor execution by Infiniti.
Of course it's dealer appeasement. Their high volume, low priced model is gone, replaced by an upscale version. With the Q50 everywhere, there is a hole in the bottom. The Q50 has become their CTS and they don't have an ATS to fill the gap.

I have seen some lightly loaded models that are still priced firmly in G37 territory, but the bells and whistles with deluxe touring and tech almost seem necessary for the big step up.

Also, let's not forget the failure of the G25. They have to be really careful about pricing and value, because Infiniti lives and dies by its value proposition (bang for the buck vs. competitors). The G25 wasn't cheap enough and just drove sales right back to the G37 or other competing models. If they go turbo 4 or turbodiesel 4 in the US, they better find a way to differentiate, i.e. the Q30, an all new model.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This shows that they are not confident on the Q50. Acura did the same thing before. When the 1 gen TSX came out, they didn't cut the RSX until the TSX reached its 2 gen. I think it is a wise decision. Since they aim at making a "real" luxurious car, the Q50 is complete different from the previous G. They might appeal some customers while lose some others at the same time. So, the best strategy to attract new buyers while keep the old customers is to keep the G alive until the new sporty entry comes out and proves itself~

·
Registered
47 Posts
Of course it's dealer appeasement. Their high volume, low priced model is gone, replaced by an upscale version. With the Q50 everywhere, there is a hole in the bottom. The Q50 has become their CTS and they don't have an ATS to fill the gap.
I don't think you can label the G sedan a low priced model and exclude their direct replacement Q50 as something different. The price ranges are essentially the same, any differences are negligible and are similar to any other company replacing an old model with a new.

Q50 is Infiniti's competitor in the ATS segment. Both cars are directed to compete against the 3 series. The new CTS jumps into 5 series and Q70 territory.

All in all this is just seems like a short term grab for inflated sales numbers and just continues the confusion that most car shoppers will experience with Infiniti's new naming scheme. De Nysschen has stressed putting "brand" ahead of volume (though no doubt there is volume pressure from Nissan top management). Keeping the G sedan around a while longer is strictly the latter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think you can label the G sedan a low priced model and exclude their direct replacement Q50 as something different. The price ranges are essentially the same, any differences are negligible and are similar to any other company replacing an old model with a new.

Q50 is Infiniti's competitor in the ATS segment. Both cars are directed to compete against the 3 series. The new CTS jumps into 5 series and Q70 territory.

All in all this is just seems like a short term grab for inflated sales numbers and just continues the confusion that most car shoppers will experience with Infiniti's new naming scheme. De Nysschen has stressed putting "brand" ahead of volume (though no doubt there is volume pressure from Nissan top management). Keeping the G sedan around a while longer is strictly the latter.
Guy, I agree with you. Q50 is supposed to be a competitor against the 3 series. But it seems that Infiniti eventually finds a better way to work things out. Like Lexus, Q50 now can serve the same function as ES does, a more practical entry level luxurious sedan for those who don't care about performance but only want something comfortable to live with. In the meantime, the g or later Q30 can concentrate more on performance, like the IS does. And now, they don't have to compromise anything to satisfy customers with different needs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Infiniti's strategy doesn't surprise me. I've seen car companies hedge their bets like this a number of times before. Ford did something similar when they first introduced the Taurus. I'm sure it's just a result of their risk analysis. Once the Q50's sales are known, assuming it's successful they can remove the G with little risk.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Guy, I agree with you. Q50 is supposed to be a competitor against the 3 series. But it seems that Infiniti eventually finds a better way to work things out. Like Lexus, Q50 now can serve the same function as ES does, a more practical entry level luxurious sedan for those who don't care about performance but only want something comfortable to live with. In the meantime, the g or later Q30 can concentrate more on performance, like the IS does. And now, they don't have to compromise anything to satisfy customers with different needs.
I disagree with that. I don't think the Q50 will ever not be about performance with Infiniti.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Infiniti to sell Q50 at the same time as the G37

Infiniti is going through a name change with its vehicle renaming all of its cars to have a Q followed by a strong of numbers. The Q50 sedan will be replacing the G37 sedan, for example, but now Infiniti has said that it will sell both the Q50 and the G37 at the same time on its show floor.

Infiniti has explained that because the Q50 is moving upmarket slightly, it is still worthwhile to sell the G37 at the same time. The weird thing is that the Q50 will be moving upmarket from the G37, but it will cost about $600 less than the G37. One can guess that this means there will be a price cut for the G37.

It is still unclear how long the G37 will be sitting on the showroom floor beside the Q50.

Do you think this is going to confuse consumers?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think Infiniti really has to be careful here. With the g37 already having an established pedigree you might get people shopping the G37 anyways, completely ignoring Q50. That or you get folks coming in on the G37 for a deal. Either way I dont see in house competition as a good way to forecast for a new model.

Plus its not like they're going in cold, Infiniti has mountains of data on G37 demographics and effective sales strats...

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I told everyone here in March in the "priceing thread" that the G37x was going to stay on for anouther 2 years.. I knew then and everyone wanted proof and did not belive me.. I posted that in March if you want to look back.. I think it is a good idea , people are going to come in and want to lease a car for 300-400 a month then they go for the G37 if they want to step it up to 500 a month then they get the Q50.. The G37x will stay untill the Q50 2.0 liter turbo hits the states which will be 2 years.. I also have some other info but cant really share at the moment, but Like I sad 3-4 months ago and got flamed for it the G37 is here to stay ad the SAME car..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yea on the bottom bottom, but Infiniti is talking about using Q50 and G37 like BMW uses 335 and 328
True, but here is one big difference. The Q and G share the same powerplant and have the same amount of power (non Hybrid), where as the 335 and 328 do not. This will confuse some and for those that do not care about having the latest or greatest, it may cannabolize some Q sales more than likely due to having a lower price. :eek:

Reactions: ikagan
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.