Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently installed aftermarket OEM mirror caps. Love the look of them, but there was a small gap in the fitment.

I was OCDing out about it, although it was not that noticeable ( see below). Was most worried about rain/pressure washing and ruining the internals (body shop guy said it should be fine, but mirror assembly is pricy!)

So I stocked up on some supplies for a little DIY project. Have to choose them wisely, as I don't have a garage workspace or much in the way of tools. But this I could take on.

Prep phase:

Final product below. Aesthetically it's really not noticeable unless you look down at the mirror cap. I did 2 takes on the sealant to try to smooth it out as much as possible. Might try to take a straight razor or exacto to clean up edges. Either way, feel more comfortable with the gap sealed. Would consider painting the sealant gloss black to make it blend better too. HMU if you have ideas for that

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
So I recently installed aftermarket OEM mirror caps. Love the look of them, but there was a small gap in the fitment.

Would consider painting the sealant gloss black to make it blend better too. HMU if you have ideas for that
Puzzled.

Paint will not stick to silicone which is what that sealant is. Don't even bother trying.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Another thing to consider is whether that material is UV stable. You wouldn't want it to dull or turn gray over time.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puzzled.

Paint will not stick to silicone which is what that sealant is. Don't even bother trying.
Lol good catch. Non-OEM

This is why I ask questions, PB. I would have been stubbornly trying to get that painted for hours/days

·
Registered
2021 Q50RS AWD
35 Posts
I have the exact covers and what I did was take a small flat file and clean up all of the edges and they fit perfectly!

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the exact covers and what I did was take a small flat file and clean up all of the edges and they fit perfectly!
Oh interesting! What did you have to file?

For me on an '18 RS, there is a gap with those covers. Not sure how filing will correct it? Maybe misunderstanding.

But I have some other parts a body shop is installing soon, so would love to have them take care of that if you found a good solution.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,275 Posts
Oh interesting! What did you have to file?

For me on an '18 RS, there is a gap with those covers. Not sure how filing will correct it? Maybe misunderstanding.

But I have some other parts a body shop is installing soon, so would love to have them take care of that if you found a good solution.
Be forewarned that silicone sealant is also an excellent adhesive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would have contacted customer support, have them send me a new pair, due to “odd fitment issues”.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts