Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Q50S AWD Hybrid Monday. I topped it off and re-set the trip odometer monday night. I have 52 miles since then and my gas gage is reading exactly 3/4 of a tank left. So by those numbers I'll be getting about 200 miles out of a tank? anyone have any idea what's going on here? The computer says I'm averaging just over 17 MPG and the car has about 170 miles so far. Does something sound off?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My car was delivered to me with half a tank, and in 3 days I needed to fill it up, after my first full tank, with premium Gas, I'm averaging 33MPG and almost 500 miles per tank, so what really happens with that first tank? I don't know, but in my case I assumed that it was because the cheap dealer just used Regular instead of Premium, in yours, well I don't know maybe a lot of factors.

Give it time, don't be frustrated by that, look for my posts and you will find some information and pictures where you can see what this car is capable of MPG saving, I know yours is AWD and that will cost you some MPG compared to mine, but even that it should be around 29MPG combined.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I picked up my Q50S AWD Hybrid Monday. I topped it off and re-set the trip odometer monday night. I have 52 miles since then and my gas gage is reading exactly 3/4 of a tank left. So by those numbers I'll be getting about 200 miles out of a tank? anyone have any idea what's going on here? The computer says I'm averaging just over 17 MPG and the car has about 170 miles so far. Does something sound off?
That does sound really bad.
I think I get 30 miles give or take before I come down off full.

Maybe the pump didn't really "top" it off?

Or your driving with a very very heavy foot.

How many EV miles do you have out of the 52 miles?

My mileage has steadily been improving to as the car gets more miles on it.
It might be a break in thing as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just give it some time for the Q50 to learn your driving habit and the MPG # will improve. To get a more accurate # on your MPG, fill up a tank of gas to full. Then reset the trip odometer and mpg average #. Drive until the tank of gas is near empty. Take the total miles you have driven on this tank of gas and divide it by the total galloons you fill it up to full again. Observe it for the next 5 tanks of gas and it should give you a better understand of how much MPG you manage to get on your car. Remember, you can't base you MPG # to anyone else because your environment, driving condition and behavior can affect MPG # greatly. Also, make sure the tires are properly inflated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Like InfinitiPlusOne is saying, it will take the car some time to learn the driver because of the transmission. The Infiniti gears are set up so close for torque that if you drive with a heavy foot you WILL NOT get the projected fuel economy. You will have to get it into electric mode in order to get around 35mpg. If you have a tech package, use intelligent cruise control when you're in stop-and-go traffic and it should help to keep you in electric mode.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i noticed when i the run flats were not up to the correct psi, would kill my mpg
I set mine to 38 psi at 50F. Ride is still comfy.

Disclosure: I sleep on a bed of nails.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
407 Posts
Like InfinitiPlusOne is saying, it will take the car some time to learn the driver because of the transmission. The Infiniti gears are set up so close for torque that if you drive with a heavy foot you WILL NOT get the projected fuel economy. You will have to get it into electric mode in order to get around 35mpg. If you have a tech package, use intelligent cruise control when you're in stop-and-go traffic and it should help to keep you in electric mode.
Same goes for people who drive a lot in stop and go traffic. Stop and go traffic can really drain your gas mileage. At least with electric power being used in that low power range that problem is GONE.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I average 25 miles per gallon, and I am a leadfoot. I get about 375 miles per fillup (15 gal typically). Note (see other thread), hybrids only have a 17.8 gal tank, so that might explain why the needle swings to E so fast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Wife is getting about 28.5-29.5mpgas driving from Alhambra to the West Side - Century City.

Her car is AWD

Guys that live in Socal know that 10fwy is stop and go all day long.

Around 425-450 miles per 14-15 gallon fill...

She is no lead foot. She keeps it on eco and is paying attention to the EV light.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've had my car for a week (Q50s Hybrid AWD) today. My gas light just came on with 278 miles on this tank. I topped it off and reset the trip odometer the night I picked it up. The computer is saying 19.9 MPG and I have driven 94 EV miles since I reset it. I have not been driving aggressively as the car is still in the break in period. I REALLY hope the bass milage gets better. I was getting better gas milage in my G37 and I drove pretty aggressively....

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
So I've had my car for a week (Q50s Hybrid AWD) today. My gas light just came on with 278 miles on this tank. I topped it off and reset the trip odometer the night I picked it up. The computer is saying 19.9 MPG and I have driven 94 EV miles since I reset it. I have not been driving aggressively as the car is still in the break in period. I REALLY hope the bass milage gets better. I was getting better gas milage in my G37 and I drove pretty aggressively....
That doesn't sound right...I know AWD can set back the MPG maybe 1-2 but you still should be hitting at least 23 MPG.

What did your vehicle's sticker fuel estimates show? Assuming you still have the sticker..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
94EV miles in a tank of gas driving is good. That's about 33% (94/278) efficiency driving which is very good.
But, the 19.9 MPG report by the VID is fairly low. Something doesn't seem right. How much city driving compare to highway?
Also, on this tank of gas, I assume you fill up about 13.9 galloons?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
94EV miles in a tank of gas driving is good. That's about 33% (94/278) efficiency driving which is very good.
But, the 19.9 MPG report by the VID is fairly low. Something doesn't seem right. How much city driving compare to highway?
Also, on this tank of gas, I assume you fill up about 13.9 galloons?
On this tank, I'd say it was 35% Highway, 35% back road/non stop and go but not highway, and 30% city driving. I drove the car for about 25 miles after delivery. The Trip odometer was not reset when I picked it up so I toped it off at the gas station (less then 2 gallons) and re-set the trip odometer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When you fill up a new tank of gas, make sure to reset the trip odometer, mpg average and EV miles. Based on your driving condition, getting 19.9mpg seem low especially you are not driving it aggressively.
Let see what happen on this tank of gas.
Thing to check:
Make sure the tire pressure is about 35psi in the morning.
Unload any necessary heavy items in your trunk.
Use premium gas
Put the MPG average on your navigation screen so you can see which driving condition cause the MPG # to drop or increase.
When you turn off your car and left it over night, remember the MPG # and in the next morning when you turn it on, it should be the same MPG #. If the # is lower, you might have a fuel leak.

On this tank, I'd say it was 35% Highway, 35% back road/non stop and go but not highway, and 30% city driving. I drove the car for about 25 miles after delivery. The Trip odometer was not reset when I picked it up so I toped it off at the gas station (less then 2 gallons) and re-set the trip odometer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.