Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi community,

I wanted to start a thread and hopefully get some answers to questions I have about future plans with my car. I own a 2018 Q50 3.0t luxe with 31k miles. Within the year my goal is to modify the car to be pushing a little bit more than a stock red sport. My goal is not to push every once of hp out of the motor and keeping long term reliability in mind.

After researching I know the red sport has an additional water pump and turbo speed sensors. I plan on purchasing the AMS heat exchanger and water pump. One of my questions is would it be more efficient to purchase 2 AMS water pumps or is 1 enough?

In addition, I will also be purchasing a Fast Intentions cat back exhaust system and the AMS quick flash Ecutek tune provided by AMS’s team based on my modifications.

Are there any additional modifications or things I may have missed that I should consider before tuning the car safely?

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
737 Posts
Lower down pipes, or Full. You can push more than a RS without needing a tune, JB4 is cheap and has an excellent resale value, leaves no trace whereas a tune will. Heat Exchanger, LDP's, Catback, and JB4 will be enough to make your car a lot quicker than a RS, new tires would be another great thing to invest in. All those mods should not yield any warranty denials either, just make sure they are put on correctly and in terms of the JB4, start small and see how your car reacts before you push it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. Any experience or hear people complain about the transmission slipping while using the JB4? I’ve read this some places and I’d the only thing scaring me from using the device otherwise I’d buy one very soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lower down pipes, or Full. You can push more than a RS without needing a tune, JB4 is cheap and has an excellent resale value, leaves no trace whereas a tune will. Heat Exchanger, LDP's, Catback, and JB4 will be enough to make your car a lot quicker than a RS, new tires would be another great thing to invest in. All those mods should not yield any warranty denials either, just make sure they are put on correctly and in terms of the JB4, start small and see how your car reacts before you push it
Thanks for the recommendation. Any experience or hear people complain about the transmission slipping while using the JB4? I’ve read this some places and I’d the only thing scaring me from using the device otherwise I’d buy one very soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts
No. I've had the JB4 previously installed on my '17 Q60 Red Sport AWD for 1 1/2 years and now have an Ecutek tune running a 1.3 bar map (~19 psi) for 3 1/2 years and never had any transmission issues.

Go ahead and buy the JB4 and enjoy it. The Q50/Q60 VR30DDTT thread on the n54 forum has good info on the JB4:

Infiniti Q50 3.0t VR30DDTT Red Sport and Silver Sport BMS Stage1 & JB4 - JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion

Reactions: jcb

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I’ve had a JB4 on my 2018 silver sport for a year now, dialed up to 16psi peak, no transmission slip. Where ever you read that, I would say their trans was hurt BEFORE they turned up the boost and likely the extra power was the straw that broke the camel’s back. At 31k miles, i highly doubt you’ll have that issue.

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,033 Posts
There has been discussion here that the trans is the weak point of this platform, but that is referring to performance and precision of the shifts, not the ability to handle additional torque. There has been sporadic reports of failed valve bodies, but those have not been blamed on torque levels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve had a JB4 on my 2018 silver sport for a year now, dialed up to 16psi peak, no transmission slip. Where ever you read that, I would say their trans was hurt BEFORE they turned up the boost and likely the extra power was the straw that broke the camel’s back. At 31k miles, i highly doubt you’ll have that issue.
I saw on Boost in Motion on YoiTube he described that non red sports and silver sports like a luxe I own has different gear ratios as to the silver and red sports. This difference in gear ratios on the lower models is what causes the trans slippage or being “laggier”. I may be completely wrong but that was the reasoning I remember.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw on Boost in Motion on YoiTube he described that non red sports and silver sports like a luxe I own has different gear ratios as to the silver and red sports. This difference in gear ratios on the lower models is what causes the trans slippage or being “laggier”. I may be completely wrong but that was the reasoning I remember.
Being laggier using a JB4 tune on a luxe

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,033 Posts
Oh just noticed your username...are you from St. Louis?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
Gear ratios for all trims are the same except the final drive ratio. RS - 3.133, all other trims - 2.937

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Boost in motion is a, shall we say controversial, character around here. While he’s decent enough entertainment, many have made the case that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. This would seem to be one of those cases. If a transmission is in good health, it will not slip. And believe me, you’ll hit the limits of your fueling system before you hit the limits of your turbos. Then, you’ll hit the efficiency limits of your turbos before you hit the limits of your transmission. The trans in these cars can safely handle up to 500HP 500TQ in stock form. Some have even pushed them to 600HP with little more than a more robust valve body, although I can’t say I would purely because I haven’t research that deeply. My power goals are already met with just a JB4 and exhaust.

Reactions: jcb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There has been discussion here that the trans is the weak point of this platform, but that is referring to performance and precision of the shifts, not the ability to handle additional torque. There has been sporadic reports of failed valve bodies, but those have not been blamed on torque levels.
Ah no I’m not I’m from Jersey. I’m a huge Giants fan lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boost in motion is a, shall we say controversial, character around here. While he’s decent enough entertainment, many have made the case that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. This would seem to be one of those cases. If a transmission is in good health, it will not slip. And believe me, you’ll hit the limits of your fueling system before you hit the limits of your turbos. Then, you’ll hit the efficiency limits of your turbos before you hit the limits of your transmission. The trans in these cars can safely handle up to 500HP 500TQ in stock form. Some have even pushed them to 600HP with little more than a more robust valve body, although I can’t say I would purely because I haven’t research that deeply. My power goals are already met with just a JB4 and exhaust.
Wow thank you for the helpful information! Very helpful and eases my nerves regarding the transmission.

I guess my last question would be based on what I’m trying to accomplish do you recommend I install the AMS auxiliary intercooler pump? I understand the luxe models only have 1 pump where the red sports coke with two. Or do you think just installing the AMS heat exchanger would be enough to properly cook everything.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,707 Posts
Wow thank you for the helpful information! Very helpful and eases my nerves regarding the transmission.

I guess my last question would be based on what I’m trying to accomplish do you recommend I install the AMS auxiliary intercooler pump? I understand the luxe models only have 1 pump where the red sports coke with two. Or do you think just installing the AMS heat exchanger would be enough to properly cook everything.
It’s probably not worth it to most people but it’ll still add up and help.
Increased flow helps improving cooling by reducing the cycle time between the heat source and the heat sink. This increased exposure creates more opportunities to shed heat and drop temps.

The ultimate setup is larger reservoir, larger HX, aux pump, interchiller/killerchiller, and mishimoto’s new upgrade intercoolers. It’ll cost a pretty penny but you’ll have the coolest temps on the block. Oh and don’t forget the meth, everythings a little better with meth.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
120 Posts

I just had this work finished today...add larger overflow and reserve tank. In the context of the discussion today (especially with the big reserve...but they put it on RS's for a reason) you're gonna want to spend the money on that pump. It can't be argued that more, better cooling is ever a bad thing. (Budget seems to be the limiting factor in most cases.)

Give Tony Cheung at Jotech a call or shoot an email. He wont steer you wrong, and may save you some money, in one way or another.

Good luck,
A fellow FNG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
120 Posts
I just discovered interchillers, literally, yesterday. Im all over that. Looks like the best daily driver/weekend racer option. I cant see that anything would be better. (Speaking for most of us here...probably not too many 10 sec Q50s driving to and from work. Ha)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

If you’re not going to the track ever, do a bigger heat exchanger and call it a day. If you’re going to track/auto cross, get the secondary pump and auxiliary tank as well. If you’re building a race car, add an interchiller. At least, that’s my two cents.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,033 Posts
Ah no I’m not I’m from Jersey. I’m a huge Giants fan lol
Ah got it...Bleed Blue has been the hockey teams slogan here in St. Louis for past few years! F- the Avs by the way - hoping for a collapse over the next 3 games!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts