Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really loved my Q50, it was totaled out after hitting a block of wood on the freeway (saga here- Q50 vs. 6x6 block of wood on freeway; F in comments boys)

I really wanted a 400Z. I was looking for a 400Z Performance with a manual. It's not happening this year or maybe even next. I vehemently refuse to pay over MSRP for a car nor do I really want some ridiculous car payment.

I took a step back and decided to buy a 6-Speed 05 G35 and wait out the 400Z market a few years. I was kind of thinking a 370Z, but I'm just not a fan. I've always liked the G35s and daily driving this thing is going to be a blast. This will be my daily. Last owner had the car for 10 years and it has a bible of paperwork and maintenance. It's as clean as it looked. I paid $12k for it which is a premium as far as the book on these go, but these are starting to get picked up by collectors so I presume depreciation has flattened out.

I'm going to put my BBK on it, coilovers, and some wheels and tires and that's it. I was going to put the wheels above from the Q50 on the G35, we'll see. I'm leaving everything else stock, probably even the intake. I'll add a GROM bluetooth kit on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Not gonna lie, I’m a little jealous of your manual trans. Lol congrats!

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Sad that the Q50 ended up totaled but not a bad buy honestly, I'm not sure about the VQ35 motors for the G35 but the Altima and others had a pretty large improvement from a true CIA and exhaust.
I think you have the right idea some simple bolt ons and updated suspension/tires and it will be a blast. 280HP when the car is only around 3,500 lbs is still properly quick around town.

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sad that the Q50 ended up totaled but not a bad buy honestly, I'm not sure about the VQ35 motors for the G35 but the Altima and others had a pretty large improvement from a true CIA and exhaust.
I think you have the right idea some simple bolt ons and updated suspension/tires and it will be a blast. 280HP when the car is only around 3,500 lbs is still properly quick around town.
I think something in me changed when those electrics started hitting <5s 0-60s and <12s 1/4 miles. I put less importance on a 0-60 or fast acceleration because these electrics will wipe most ICE cars light to light. I am more seeking balance, a combination of steering, braking, handling, and acceleration for canyon runs and spirited driving. Exactly right, 280hp is plenty to whip around and have fun with; the whole drive a slow car fast instead of a fast car slow thing.

These VQ35s can get very obnoxious with exhausts. I want it to be stock quiet, but I would be open to a better flowing quiet exhaust. I don't even really want to hear the intake whoosh anymore. Been there done that.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Just a thought, to hell with a 400z, VR swap the beautiful G

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I think something in me changed when those electrics started hitting <5s 0-60s and <12s 1/4 miles. I put less importance on a 0-60 or fast acceleration because these electrics will wipe most ICE cars light to light. I am more seeking balance, a combination of steering, braking, handling, and acceleration for canyon runs and spirited driving. Exactly right, 280hp is plenty to whip around and have fun with; the whole drive a slow car fast instead of a fast car slow thing.

These VQ35s can get very obnoxious with exhausts. I want it to be stock quiet, but I would be open to a better flowing quiet exhaust. I don't even really want to hear the intake whoosh anymore. Been there done that.
Yeah now that the new norm is silly fast but no feed back I think people are starting to gravitate back towards more engaging cars, you are right though the VQ can be very obnoxious with the wrong exhaust (which is sadly many of them). lol

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah now that the new norm is silly fast but no feed back I think people are starting to gravitate back towards more engaging cars, you are right though the VQ can be very obnoxious with the wrong exhaust (which is sadly many of them). lol
I helped one of my sons put coilovers on and upgrade his 04 sedan. You're not wrong. He opted for the muffler delete; even though I at least had the shop put a huge resonator on it and it doesn't sound like a trumpet, I can barely drive it because it's so loud, but I was a kid once too.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Hah yeah I had a 3in Mangaflow exhaust on my 02 Altima when I first started driving, was my old mans and he too had larger resonators installed but he'd effectively turned it into an SE-R version of the car so it was a pretty awesome first car (much like your sons).

No trumpet sounds just a bit of drone on the highway but aside from a nice deep tone that was pretty tame until you got on it, but I get it loud=cool when you are that age. My generation used to put pop cans between the frame and the wheel of the bike to make it sound like a motorcycle growing up after-all. lol

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I really loved my Q50, it was totaled out after hitting a block of wood on the freeway (saga here- Q50 vs. 6x6 block of wood on freeway; F in comments boys)

I really wanted a 400Z. I was looking for a 400Z Performance with a manual. It's not happening this year or maybe even next. I vehemently refuse to pay over MSRP for a car nor do I really want some ridiculous car payment.

I took a step back and decided to buy a 6-Speed 05 G35 and wait out the 400Z market a few years. I was kind of thinking a 370Z, but I'm just not a fan. I've always liked the G35s and daily driving this thing is going to be a blast. This will be my daily. Last owner had the car for 10 years and it has a bible of paperwork and maintenance. It's as clean as it looked. I paid $12k for it which is a premium as far as the book on these go, but these are starting to get picked up by collectors so I presume depreciation has flattened out.

I'm going to put my BBK on it, coilovers, and some wheels and tires and that's it. I was going to put the wheels above from the Q50 on the G35, we'll see. I'm leaving everything else stock, probably even the intake. I'll add a GROM bluetooth kit on the inside.
Enjoy the G35. The car I had prior to my current Q50 was a 2005 6MT G35 Sedan. Loved it and drove it for 12 years.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
862 Posts
That's a nice car,,I recently saw a 2011 G37 with the hard top convertible,,also white, and at 11,995 am considering buying it to have IN ADDITION to my Q,,just want it),,so I totally feel you,,good luck..

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
842 Posts
Beautiful car, they sound amazing, best exhaust note in the Infiniti lineup

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake /also stillen Gen 2 long tube intake-
862 Posts
And,,don't forget the surprising POWER,,my son had a G35S,Before his current G37,,and he immediately noticed the G35 had a different yet totally appreciated and unexpected power delivery,,it was rwd vs his current G37x,,but the driving experience imo was more like my Q50s,,from suspension to abundant power,,,something about the way the G35s motor made it seem like it could fight waaay above it's weight class"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last year, I passed on my 07 G35 Journey to my son to use as a daily driver when he isn't driving his Skyline.
Today, he was putting on downpipes. I really want to hear it when he comes here for Thanksgiving.

I would definitely get a G35x if possible. My Q is AWD. When I take off from a stop at a corner, I can nail it.
With the G35, I had to be careful not to throw out the back end. Just as you pass 20MPH, the G hits the "meat" of the power range before you finish the turn and the power comes on suddenly.

I would drive a G35/G37 again. I really liked that car.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Last year, I passed on my 07 G35 Journey to my son to use as a daily driver when he isn't driving his Skyline.
Today, he was putting on downpipes. I really want to hear it when he comes here for Thanksgiving.

I would definitely get a G35x if possible. My Q is AWD. When I take off from a stop at a corner, I can nail it.
With the G35, I had to be careful not to throw out the back end. Just as you pass 20MPH, the G hits the "meat" of the power range before you finish the turn and the power comes on suddenly.

I would drive a G35/G37 again. I really liked that car.
it does oversteer on tight turns, but I learned to roll with them.

rears replaced every 8,000 miles or less.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
My old G35 is the one car I owned that I wished I never lost, congrats it looks ridiculously clean compared to how most G's are nowadays.
many have the same feeling, believe me. I owned 3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts