Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased gorilla wheel locks for their 17" OEM rims? If so, which size did you get?
Also does anyone have any feedback on their
?

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Our thread size is 12x1.25

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Thanks for quick reply.
Do you know if the wheels take the acorn or the standard mag?
Hmmm...that one I have no clue! Sorry man! Already have aftermarket wheels on mine and havent tried other wheel locks when I was still on stock wheels! Hopefully some of the dealer reps/techs on here can chime in! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...that one I have no clue! Sorry man! Already have aftermarket wheels on mine and havent tried other wheel locks when I was still on stock wheels! Hopefully some of the dealer reps/techs on here can chime in! :)
Took one nut off today and its acorn style. Also looked at their sizing chart and like you said, its 12mm 1.25" for all infiniti's. Will be ordering two sets of gorilla locks. Will post a review after they are on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So heres an update to the OP.
I ordered two sets of gorilla acorn guard wheel locks 12mm 1.25". The reason why I went for them instead of the OEM wheel locks is due to the extra safety feature gorilla locks have (free spinning top sleeve)

Top of the gorilla lock nut compared to OEM nut

Side shot. The only thing that concerned me was the angle at the bottom tip of the gorilla nut. Seems like gorilla lock has more to it

Before addition of wheel lock

After
In the side shots you can see the gorilla lock does protrude out a bit. Hence I held off on adding the 2nd set, since I did not want to throw off the balance of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Wheel balance should have no impact from the wheel locks because wheels are balanced off the car.

According to Amazon.com Gorilla # 61621 This does not fit your:
2014 Infiniti Q50

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wheel balance should have no impact from the wheel locks because wheels are balanced off the car.

2014 Infiniti Q50
I have the feeling amazon system is not updated yet.
As long the thread size is 12 X 1.25 is all matter.
I got mcgard because I heard gorilla can rust. I am not sure it is true or not but that's what I know so far.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

2014 Infiniti Q50
Sorry I meant the balance as the aesthetics of the wheel, but then also looked at the gorilla product packaging and there it mentioned something about wheel balance as well. Will post again about it later.

I have the feeling amazon system is not updated yet.
As long the thread size is 12 X 1.25 is all matter.
I got mcgard because I heard gorilla can rust. I am not sure it is true or not but that's what I know so far.
I also have a feeling they did not update the system. According to amazon they are compatible with G37 2011 and under, which have the same lug nuts as the later production year G's and our Q50.

The reason why I did not go for mcgard is because it is one of the easier wheel locks to remove, just hammer on a socket and take off the wheel lock.

I went ahead and added a 2nd set to all the wheels for even more protection.
Now here's the f***ed up part.. My wheels are safe, but some a-hole stole my valve stem caps from one side of the car. Kids these days....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oohh I missed this thread earlier.

I have to urge caution when choosing aftermarket wheel locks and there is a photo in this thread that highlights exactly why.

(nice metadata InfinitiNYC- I have the same camera and that lens is next on my list :) )

You see the collar with the free spinning washer about 1/2 way up. That contacts the rim face and when torqued is what "locks" the nut to the wheel. Without that collar the inner tapered edge is used to secure the wheel. I have seen many (used this style lug since 2007) broken wheels, stripped lug holes, over-tightened or incorrectly tightened lugs that often cause brake pulsations or as I mentioned broken wheels.

I agree the increased security of the Gorilla locks are a plus, but know that it comes with a significant amount of risk (only applies to OE wheels). There are some pros to the OE locks though, if you loose the key any Infiniti dealer can easily remove them and they do include the free spinning washer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oohh I missed this thread earlier.

I have to urge caution when choosing aftermarket wheel locks and there is a photo in this thread that highlights exactly why.

(nice metadata InfinitiNYC- I have the same camera and that lens is next on my list :) )

You see the collar with the free spinning washer about 1/2 way up. That contacts the rim face and when torqued is what "locks" the nut to the wheel. Without that collar the inner tapered edge is used to secure the wheel. I have seen many (used this style lug since 2007) broken wheels, stripped lug holes, over-tightened or incorrectly tightened lugs that often cause brake pulsations or as I mentioned broken wheels.

I agree the increased security of the Gorilla locks are a plus, but know that it comes with a significant amount of risk (only applies to OE wheels). There are some pros to the OE locks though, if you loose the key any Infiniti dealer can easily remove them and they do include the free spinning washer.
I did question the actual size of the gorilla lock compared to the oem lug nut when I initially put it in, but it held up so far. Recently I did check if it had come loose (as suggested by manufacturer), and it is still tightly on. I followed that by removing the lock again and checking the rim, all looks well.
But will have to call gorilla themselves and see what they recommend.

Free spinning washer doesn't really compare to the free spinning sleeve on the gorilla locks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The reason why I did not go for mcgard is because it is one of the easier wheel locks to remove, just hammer on a socket and take off the wheel lock.
That's the part I don't understand. It does not matter two sets or what mcgard or gorilla. It is just putting a very tight key to it by hammering and pull it out.

Good comment SteveTheTech. I will check out mine to see if it has damages. It might take a while to damage it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's the part I don't understand. It does not matter two sets or what mcgard or gorilla. It is just putting a very tight key to it by hammering and pull it out.

Good comment SteveTheTech. I will check out mine to see if it has damages. It might take a while to damage it.
You are right about the mcgard, once again I was sold on the gorilla locks mainly due to their design, where you can't simply hammer on a socket and take it off.

Heres a vid that shows how pointless OEM locks are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heres a vid that shows how pointless OEM locks are]
I agree they can be easy to take, however for the most part OE locks work...ish. But I know the insurance plans on my cars cover OE wheel replacement if that were to happen.

Knocks on wood.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree they can be easy to take, however for the most part OE locks work...ish. But I know my insurance plan on my cars covers OE wheel replacement if that were to happen.

Knocks on wood.
Yeah same here, but its just an inconvenience you know...

But... knock on wood for sure. While we at it, might as well

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You are right about the mcgard, once again I was sold on the gorilla locks mainly due to their design, where you can't simply hammer on a socket and take it off.

Im not clear. Can gorilla one be hammered witha socket? I see it has same round surface. You jst need something tight to bite it. I hv mcgard and thats what I see

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.