Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 AWD Premium Q50 and the original battery was still good! But, since it's now more than 6 years olld and I'm having it transported up North (we're moving), I decided to get a new battery. So, I went to Autozone to get a Duralast Gold, which I've gotten on several other cars.

The guy replaced it, first putting a memory saver on the OBD port. After it was installed, I started it up and saw that the memory saved had worked. Radio stations and local time were still correct and other things as well, such as the key fobs for locking/unlocking, ATC on/off, etc. Everything I could think of.

But, when I got it home, I discovered that pressing the Homelink button on the mirror did nothing. I went thru the reprogramming process in the manual and it still won't work. I even tried a reset. I noticed that when the ingnition is "on", the Homelink light is solid green. Can't get it to start flashing by doing anything.

Then I tried calling Homeline Customer Support and talked to a tech that tried to walk me thru a reset too. When I told him that the light stays sold green, he said something must be hosed and that I would need to take it to a dealer. Of course that would mean a new mirror, no doubt.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I miss anything? The Homelink was worked at this house and on this car for as long as I've had it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
At this time, I'd say your car is done. Time to part it out

Reactions: GTA-RS400

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
Silly question, but I have found myself pressing the wrong button of the three on the mirror to (try and) open the main garage door one day. Are you pressing the correct button you have programmed to open the door?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly question, but I have found myself pressing the wrong button of the three on the mirror to (try and) open the main garage door one day. Are you pressing the correct button you have programmed to open the door?
Yep, the center one. Actually tried all three. The constant light that can't be made to blink indicates something is wrong, according to the Homelink tech.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I know you said you tried resetting it. Which buttons were you pressing during reset? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
The Homelink Transceiver is suppose to retain all programming if the vehicle's battery is discharged or disconnected so I'd suspect it's time to visit the service department if the indicator light stays on.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Being a 2014 I suspect he is out of warranty. I'm guessing all of the HomeLink stuff is in the mirror, correct @Avedis53 ? In all my years on car forums I don't think I have ever read about anyone having a failed HomeLink rearview mirror, but it contains electronics and anything can fail. Coincidence maybe? If HomeLink customer service was no help, you might try Gentex as I think they are the mirror supplier. If you buy a new mirror, I'm sure you're in for sticker shock if you buy through Infiniti. You might try here or Amazon:

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
Homelink resides completely within the mirror assembly.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Yep, the center one. Actually tried all three. The constant light that can't be made to blink indicates something is wrong, according to the Homelink tech.
To open my garage door, I've always used the left button on the rear view mirror.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,851 Posts
I hesitate to offend anybody so don't take it personally if this is a "duh" question. But sunset, did you press the learn button on your garage door opener? Solid green usually means the homelink system is correctly in learn mode, waiting for a signal from the opener.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
To open my garage door, I've always used the left button on the rear view mirror.
All my cars have 3 Homelink buttons but I have only every needed two buttons (two garage doors). I assign the leftmost button to the left garage door, and the rightmost button to the right door. The middle button is unassigned.

I much prefer when the Homelink buttons are on the sun visor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know you said you tried resetting it. Which buttons were you pressing during reset? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable?

Buttons 1 and 3, per the Homelink tech. Disconnecting/reconnecting the cable was something I didn't even know was possible, but I thought was a GREAT idea. So, I found the plug, disconnected and reconnected, but unforunately, nothing changed.

But THANKS for a great idea!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hesitate to offend anybody so don't take it personally if this is a "duh" question. But sunset, did you press the learn button on your garage door opener? Solid green usually means the homelink system is correctly in learn mode, waiting for a signal from the opener.
That is an interesting theory. My wife and I will try that tomorrow. THANKS and stay tuned...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Being a 2014 I suspect he is out of warranty. I'm guessing all of the HomeLink stuff is in the mirror, correct @Avedis53 ? In all my years on car forums I don't think I have ever read about anyone having a failed HomeLink rearview mirror, but it contains electronics and anything can fail. Coincidence maybe? If HomeLink customer service was no help, you might try Gentex as I think they are the mirror supplier. If you buy a new mirror, I'm sure you're in for sticker shock if you buy through Infiniti. You might try here or Amazon:

Yeah, that's a possibility too, along with just getting the buttons as a separate unit:

Of course there's always just using one of the sun visor clip-on remotes that come with the garage opener...

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
The Gentex mirror looks identical to the OEM mirror except for the compass display. I'm assuming the connector is compatible with the Infiniti harness.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
All my cars have 3 Homelink buttons but I have only every needed two buttons (two garage doors). I assign the leftmost button to the left garage door, and the rightmost button to the right door. The middle button is unassigned.

Having a single double garage door, for twenty years never needed to use the right homelink button.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I find that my mirror HomeLink in the Infiniti works much better than the sun visor HomeLink in our Ford. Quite often I have to pull the visor into the down position or move the car a few feet in the driveway to get it to work - annoys the crap outta me. I watch the lady across the street activate her garage door when she is two houses away from hers and the door is open when she pulls up to it (we both have steel garage doors). I have to be in our driveway with either car to get the opener to work. Is there any trick with the garage opener antenna to increase the range of it?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
The Gentex mirror looks identical to the OEM mirror except for the compass display. I'm assuming the connector is compatible with the Infiniti harness.
My Subaru had the compass in the mirror - I miss that feature on the Infiniti. I would expect all Gentex mirrors to use the same connector as it must be only power and ground unless the mirror has the back-up camera imbedded in it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I find that my mirror HomeLink in the Infiniti works much better than the sun visor HomeLink in our Ford. Quite often I have to pull the visor into the down position or move the car a few feet in the driveway to get it to work - annoys the crap outta me. I watch the lady across the street activate her garage door when she is two houses away from hers and the door is open when she pulls up to it (we both have steel garage doors). I have to be in our driveway with either car to get the opener to work. Is there any trick with the garage opener antenna to increase the range of it?
The two control unit that came with the opener have a better range, my wife can be at the mail boxes and opens the garage, with the Infiniti I almost have to be on the driveway for it to work.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
I see what you are saying about if the visor is down and then the buttons are on the other side. But, when the visor is up, I find it a lot easier to just reach straight up and easily locate the three raised buttons by feel. The 50's buttons are a further stretch and flush with the mirror so I always have to turn my head and look. Not a big deal, I just prefer the visor.

I don't know of a trick to increase signal strength. I think holding the button down longer helps increase the range. In my experience, I don't think you can say, necessarily, one HomeLink design has more range than another. My 50 (mirror) rocks, my TL (ceiling) sucks, my Maxima (visor) has great range, my S4 (visor) is just ok, and our Odyssee (ceiling) is just ok. Take way? My "Nissans" are both good, regardless of HL style, and my "Hondas" not as good.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts