Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Buttons 1 and 3, per the Homelink tech. Disconnecting/reconnecting the cable was something I didn't even know was possible, but I thought was a GREAT idea. So, I found the plug, disconnected and reconnected, but unforunately, nothing changed.

But THANKS for a great idea!
No problem. Since it stays solid green may mean you will need a new mirror, per Avedis and tech guy's feedback.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I see what you are saying about if the visor is down and then the buttons are on the other side. But, when the visor is up, I find it a lot easier to just reach straight up and easily locate the three raised buttons by feel. The 50's buttons are a further stretch and flush with the mirror so I always have to turn my head and look. Not a big deal, I just prefer the visor.

I don't know of a trick to increase signal strength. I think holding the button down longer helps increase the range. In my experience, I don't think you can say, necessarily, one HomeLink design has more range than another. My 50 (mirror) rocks, my TL (ceiling) sucks, my Maxima (visor) has great range, my S4 (visor) is just ok, and our Odyssee (ceiling) is just ok. Take way? My "Nissans" are both good, regardless of HL style, and my "Hondas" not as good.
Extend the antenna on your garage door base unit/motor. Like this:

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,129 Posts

Oh! I was only thinking about modification to the car, never thought of a modification to the opener!

You can also get an add-on smart garage door opener, with app, and open your garage door from anywhere!

Gosh, it's basically free. It's $37.50 - 15% = $31.90 - $30 credit after your first use of Amazon in-garage delivery! = $2 bucks (+tax)

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Oh! I was only thinking about modification to the car, never thought of a modification to the opener!

You can also get an add-on smart garage door opener, with app, and open your garage door from anywhere!

Gosh, it's basically free. It's $37.50 - 15% = $31.90 - $30 credit after your first use of Amazon in-garage delivery! = $2 bucks (+tax)

View attachment 93348
Since you're a skinflint, I figured several feet of #14 wire would be right in your wheelhouse. Besides, then your car remains unchanged and no additional equipment required.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,305 Posts

Thanks. I would have guessed that the length of the antenna would be determined by the frequency that the transmitter / receiver operate on, like the mono filament FM antenna on my table radio or the length of the elements on an outdoor TV antenna. I never would have guessed that I could just simply extend the length of the existing antenna with a similar gauge wire to a random convenient length.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
You'll notice that he ran the wire all the way to the front wall of the garage and then parallel to the wall for a few feet. That's what will get you the increased range.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
On my to-do list for a day when it isn't 90 degrees out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Q50 actually came with an aftermarket mirror that the guy made through his work and looked much better than the homelink. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to program it, so I had to put the homelink back on.

When I tried programming the homelink it took 3 trys. First two wouldnt work because I was parked in the garage under the motor, so I tried in the driveway and had success. Now it works when I'm in my parking spot, but dont know why it wouldnt program.

Only other thing I can think of is you may have a newer garage that has different program sequence, but Im sure that was cover with the homelink tech.

·
Super Moderator
3,129 Posts
Since you're a skinflint, I figured several feet of #14 wire would be right in your wheelhouse. Besides, then your car remains unchanged and no additional equipment required.
Sure, but your offering me a solution to a problem I never said I had. I believe it was Pb who wanted greater range. I'm fine with my range.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

Done that on my old garage door opener. It works! Of course.

After 28 years I replaced it when I replaced the door. Much better range on the new one right out of the box. Also have that app.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I bought a device during their Kickstarter campaign to operate the garage door from my phone and get notifications. It was a little sketchy at first, but works well now. Garagdet.

·
Super Moderator
3,129 Posts
I bought a device during their Kickstarter campaign to operate the garage door from my phone and get notifications. It was a little sketchy at first, but works well now. Garagdet.
Link?

·
Super Moderator
3,129 Posts
Reactions: q50adix

·
Super Moderator
3,129 Posts
But I imagine that'd be tough especially if the intention isn't to entice readers to buy it.
I think about that sometimes. If I am discussing a product, I'll almost always include a link but, yeah, it may not be to the best deal out there, if someone did want to buy. I just provide a link, I'll leave it up to them to shop around, if they want to buy. But, never pushing a sale. It's solely for product information.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think about that sometimes. If I am discussing a product, I'll almost always include a link but, yeah, it may not be to the best deal out there, if someone did want to buy. I just provide a link, I'll leave it up to them to shop around, if they want to buy. But, never pushing a sale. It's solely for product information.
IMHO - discussing != mentioning and maybe there is just a thin line that separates these two.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I completely forgot mine even has the homelink until reading this thread! Not that I'll ever use it though.

·
Super Moderator
3,129 Posts
IMHO - discussing != mentioning and maybe there is just a thin line that separates these two.
Ok, so I'll link to a product even on a "mention", if justified. If I am casually saying I have AMS intakes, I'm probably not going to bother (though I just did, lol) because most of us know exactly what those are. But if I mention I like to keep mints and coins in my center console organizer, I'll slap the link in there because I'm sure there are people that might not know what that is and might want to learn more. :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts