Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

GPS & Privacy

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  boone 
#1 ·
By now, everyone has heard of the following:

>> A Ford exec probably got a little too fired up at CES earlier this week with this comment: "We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing." <<

I understand that he's moderated that statement, somewhat.

I don't know to what extent (if any) Infiniti/Nissan is monitoring our cars, but it is an area if concern now, or in the near future. I also don't know if manufacturers are being pressured by Big Brother to do this.

Just thought I'd raise this for discussion.

#2 ·
I haven't read any articles on the comment by the Ford exec but it is a little disingenuous. Yes, there are many monitoring and telematics systems built into modern vehicles. However, the statement implies that some type of big brother active monitoring of individual driving habits is taking place at all times. I do believe that a bunch of raw data is being collected from things like Intouch, satellite radio, and GPS. However, I seriously doubt this data is aggregated into a useful format unless it is subpoenaed for some reason.

I have seen a fair amount written about what is collected by the on-board sensors in cars. Throttle position, brake force, and speed are just the tip of the iceberg. The only way to avoid this is to drive a car that was built before OBD-II was mandated in 1996. The information stored by various OBD-II systems is pretty interesting. It is also useful to folks such as insurance companies who would like further insight into our driving habits.

#6 · (Edited)
Like me, I am certain that 100% of your life on the road is in full compliance with all laws, even the obscure ones that we don't know. Indeed, I am also in favor of placing cameras in cars to observe that all occupants are within the law. By the way, it wouldn't hurt to place a Breathalyzer in every car, too.

I've always thought that it's an excellent idea that pilots file a flight plan, prior to takeoff. This should be extended to car drivers. There are far too many drivers (not me) who like to take joy rides. This is wasteful of our resources.

While were at it, do we really need a luxo cruiser? Not only is it unfair that we own something that some others can not afford, but it also generates discomfort and emotional distress in those that have not won at life's lottery.

Not only don't I do anything wrong, but I also carry a halo (non-denominational, of course) so that all may know how morally superior I am.

The last reason, purely selfish, that I want to be monitored is in case some enterprising person wanted to deliver a surprise gift, when I wasn't home. I love surprises.

#5 ·
Carlos Ghosn knows who your mistress is, where she lives and what her measurements are. If you don't lease an Infiniti next time around, he's either going to tell your wife, or go sleep with your mistress - you decide. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.