Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I went to ESP for a few Dyno pulls today. My numbers are almost identical to Johns on the AWD Mustang Dyno. 378 whp and 439 wtq. If I use Johns math and convert the Mustang numbers to Dynojet it puts me at 415whp and 483wtq. These were done in 4th gear.

HP seems low. I sent the logs from the Pulls to AMS and am anxious to hear their opinion.

P
Please email me a pic of the screen so I can look at it. Was that # with "WCF" (weather correction Factor), or the top raw #'s?
Also the data logs if you have them. I want to review all the #'s against mine.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
I went to ESP for a few Dyno pulls today. My numbers are almost identical to Johns on the AWD Mustang Dyno. 378 whp and 439 wtq. If I use Johns math and convert the Mustang numbers to Dynojet it puts me at 415whp and 483wtq. These were done in 4th gear.

HP seems low. I sent the logs from the Pulls to AMS and am anxious to hear their opinion.

P
And to think you can get 395 whp and 429 wtq on a stock RS (no bolt ons) with a JB1 @ 3 PSI running 93 octane. Those numbers are off a Dynojet though. Still, it makes you wonder if the cost of an EcuTek tune is worth the difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used a JB1 on my Q60 AWD Premium prior to the AMS upgrades and tune.

At +5psi I put down 350whp and 375 wtq.

With the AMS upgrades and AMS tune I made 415whp and 483wtq.

That’s an increase of 65whp and 108wtq at a cost of about $4k. Worth it? That’s subjective but all that torque sure feels good.

I’ll have to see what AMS comes back with after looking at the logs.

P

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts

That’s an increase of 65whp and 108wtq at a cost of about $4k. Worth it? That’s subjective but all that torque sure feels good.

P
If you have the money, of course it's worth it. The law of diminishing returns hits you in the wallet when you go for that last bit of power though.

Burger's Dynojet numbers on the RS using 93 octane were 405 HP and 454 TQ at 4 PSI over stock on 93 octane fuel for $500 with no mods that I can find. I'd be curious as to what the numbers are for a RS with a full aftermarket exhaust and a JB4 and how close they are to an Ecutek tune with the same exhaust. I have to believe a custom tune will provide more power but how much more?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,700 Posts
If you have the money, of course it's worth it. The law of diminishing returns hits you in the wallet when you go for that last bit of power though.

Burger's Dynojet numbers on the RS using 93 octane were 405 HP and 454 TQ at 4 PSI over stock on 93 octane fuel for $500 with no mods that I can find. I'd be curious as to what the numbers are for a RS with a full aftermarket exhaust and a JB4 and how close they are to an Ecutek tune with the same exhaust. I have to believe a custom tune will provide more power but how much more?
There are still no JB4s in the 11's 1/4 mile, right?

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are still no JB4s in the 11's 1/4 mile, right?
I don't think so. Best I've seen was 12.04 by.... maxlegends lol

I rarely see 11.x second RWD Qs, and havent seen any 11.x JB4 Qs regardless of RWD/AWD.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

P
And to think you can get 395 whp and 429 wtq on a stock RS (no bolt ons) with a JB1 @ 3 PSI running 93 octane. Those numbers are off a Dynojet though. Still, it makes you wonder if the cost of an EcuTek tune is worth the difference.
Avadis53, those # from Burger Tuning are for RWD, when I questioned them why they don't have AWD #, I was told that they were the same,(not), there is a 15-18% drivetrain loss, so the# I got with stock RS 360 whp, is bang on. 384whp with JB1 at +3 is correct.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The driving experience is much different though. The peak number you dyno with a JB4 is like the peak number your subs/amp are rated for. You may hit them randomly/blue moon scenario. Ecutek's numbers are like RMS numbers for the subs/amp, that's how it performs no matter what (if nothing is broken)

Also, I've been in an Ecutek tuned RS that hit max boost at 3500 RPM. Never gonna happen with JB4. Now that is some fun.

I enjoy my JB4 but I know what I need to do if I really wanna go low 12s

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
The driving experience is much different though. The peak number you dyno with a JB4 is like the peak number your subs/amp are rated for. You may hit them randomly/blue moon scenario. Ecutek's numbers are like RMS numbers for the subs/amp, that's how it performs no matter what (if nothing is broken)

Also, I've been in an Ecutek tuned RS that hit max boost at 3500 RPM. Never gonna happen with JB4. Now that is some fun.

I enjoy my JB4 but I know what I need to do if I really wanna go low 12s
Yes, I understand all of the previous comments but some people aren't going to want to go the ECU tuning route because of the higher cost and potential warranty issues of a flashed ECU. I'm only saying that the JB4 produces a fair amount of additional power and is plug and play for a reasonable cost. Some may find that to be adequate. Others will want to go with a tune and extract more power out of the VR30. Not everyone gives a rip about running low 12's as they don't track their cars but they do want more power.

I'll eventually sell my JB4 and move on to a tune once I get all the bolt-ons sorted but until then, the JB4 is better than stock and is a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
Can't beat the JB4. Simple, very good power and flexibility. Plus easy to resell after you are done with it.
Add full boltons and a EcuTec may be useful.

I really like the features it has. Clear and read codes. The "Dashboard", data logging, and performance analyzer. All I have used. The "Dashboard" is on 95% of the time when driving in my car.
The JB4 is more than adiquate and an excellent choice before you consider a tune. The most of the $ is easy to recoup after you tune your car.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
Can't beat the JB4. Simple, very good power and flexibility. Plus easy to resell after you are done with it.
Add full boltons and a EcuTec may be useful.

I really like the features it has. Clear and read codes. The "Dashboard", data logging, and performance analyzer. All I have used. The "Dashboard" is on 95% of the time when driving in my car.
The JB4 is more than adiquate and an excellent choice before you consider a tune. The most of the $ is easy to recoup after you tune your car.
I'm sure I can find a Q50 in CA that wants to buy one with a BT dongle when I'm ready to sell.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Absolutely! Especially in CA. Huge market for them there.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes, I understand all of the previous comments but some people aren't going to want to go the ECU tuning route because of the higher cost and potential warranty issues of a flashed ECU. I'm only saying that the JB4 produces a fair amount of additional power and is plug and play for a reasonable cost. Some may find that to be adequate. Others will want to go with a tune and extract more power out of the VR30. Not everyone gives a rip about running low 12's as they don't track their cars but they do want more power.

I'll eventually sell my JB4 and move on to a tune once I get all the bolt-ons sorted but until then, the JB4 is better than stock and is a good bang for the buck.
Agreed. If I hadn't add additional insurance to my policy for breakdown, I may not be considering a tune.

·
Registered
279 Posts

P
Did AMS respond to your dyno tune? Any changes or are you/ they happy with the results?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did AMS respond to your dyno tune? Any changes or are you/ they happy with the results?
Not yet, they closed down early for the long weekend. I’m sure they will get back to me over the next couple days.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts