Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I have to decide tomorrow whether I switch to the hybrid vs. gasser. One of my concerns is how old is the 3.5l v6, has it been used in other cars? reliability etc.

This is a tough decision.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It has been used in previous Infiniti's. It has been "tweaked" for the Q50.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Is it the VQ35DE? If so, that engine has a history of burning oil and the plastic engine cover warps at about 70k causing oil to pool on the spark plugs.

Engine cover has an integrated plastic seal. Instead of using replaceable silicone gaskets for the plugs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Don't worry about the engine. It is one of the most reliable (more so than Toyota and Honda's 3.5). It is the electronics which you should be more worried about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is it the VQ35DE? If so, that engine has a history of burning oil and the plastic engine cover warps at about 70k causing oil to pool on the spark plugs.

Engine cover has an integrated plastic seal. Instead of using replaceable silicone gaskets for the plugs.
It's not the old DE, it's the HR engine (rev-up) that has been around for quite sometime. It's proven. I wouldn't be worried about this engine at all. My DE in my G35 did burn a little oil after 125k but it wasn't a big deal, almost all cars burn a little oil. Just checked it every couple of weeks.

BTW I had 185,000 Miles on my 2004 G35 6mt when I sold it. I never did ANYTHING other than oil changes and the car ran like a top.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Reactions: bdbaity
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.