Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, new to the forum but I did search extensively on this topic. I recently acquired a 2014 q50 premium. I purchased the car from a local Ford dealer here and when first checking the car out the instrument cluster has been showing a headlight system error warning. I eventually decided to purchase the car on the condition that this issue gets resolved. The dealer took the car to the local Infiniti dealership. They checked all the fuses and replaced both headlight control modules on either side ($1700 worth of parts) thinking this would resolve the issue. It did not, the dealer gave me the ultimatum to take the car as is or unwind the deal. I decided to keep the car. I forgot to mention that both headlights function completely fine. Headlights work, LED surrounds work, brights work and dogs work. Everything is functioning properly but I’m still getting this error.
Any ideas what it could be?

The car has never been in any accidents or have had either headlight replaced. The Infiniti dealer could have dug into the problem even more they said but the Ford dealership didn’t want to spend anymore money considering everything is working as it should. I personally spoke with one of the techs and he said it could possibly be a little LED bulb from the surround causing the error. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Did the service department say if there were any DTCs thrown? If the control modules were replaced and the warning is still being displayed then something is telling the BCM there is a fault. It could be a harness/connector problem but if all lights are functioning properly, you wouldn't think it could be. It could be the Combination Switch or Combination meter also.

More diagnostics are needed to narrow this down.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Do you know if your car is equipped with Adaptive Headlights (I think that option was available in the 2014s).
It could be that the adaptive system is not working. The lights will function but they will not follow your steering when you're turning. Not a big deal, although the adaptive system works great and adds a good degree of safety on curvy roads at night.

·
Registered
780 Posts
How do we know if we have the Adaptive Headlights? Is it this 'Active Trace Control' on the window sticker?

(What the heck is 'Hill Start Assist'?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
How do we know if we have the Adaptive Headlights? Is it this 'Active Trace Control' on the window sticker?

I think the window sticker does call it out. But a quick way to tell if you have the Adaptive headlights is to turn your steering wheel while your low beam lights are shining on a wall. You'll see the light pattern follow the steering wheel when you turn it.

Edit: I believe the system also adjusts the height of the beam if the car is riding lower due to cargo/passenger weight.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know, may be thin ice to answer the question seriously! 0:)

"Hill Start Assist" prevents your car from rolling backwards when starting it uphill e.g. in a parking garage.
Thanks. I didn't know automatics had this problem!

·
Registered
239 Posts
But a quick way to tell if you have the Adaptive headlights is to turn your steering wheel while your low beam lights are shining on a wall. You'll see the light pattern follow the steering wheel when you turn it.
You can also have a friend start your car and, right at startup, the headlights will move as part of a test. Or, just do it at night by yourself.

·
Registered
189 Posts
But a quick way to tell if you have the Adaptive headlights is to turn your steering wheel while your low beam lights are shining on a wall. You'll see the light pattern follow the steering wheel when you turn it.

But if the adaptive headlights are out of order (and then cause an error message) this test won't work...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
But if the adaptive headlights are out of order (and then cause an error message) this test won't work...
True. That was meant for ptatohed. I thought he wanted to check if his car had that feature.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts

If you have the Technology Package for your model year, then you have the auto-leveling adaptive front lighting system.

Active Trace Control is the system that controls brake pressure at each wheel based on steering and acceleration/braking patterns to help control the car.

The Hill Start Assist system keeps the brakes applied for a maximum of 2 seconds while stopped on a hill and the car is in forward or reverse. The system keeps the car from rolling in the time it takes to release the brake pedal and step on the accelerator. If you take longer than 2 seconds to do that, then the system releases the brake and Hill Start Assist stops working.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I thought the adaptive headlights slightly rotated side to side when you turn the steering wheel, not auto leveling when you are carrying a heavy load?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I thought the adaptive headlights slightly rotated side to side when you turn the steering wheel, not auto leveling when you are carrying a heavy load?
I believe it does both.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Everyone, new to the forum but I did search extensively on this topic. I recently acquired a 2014 q50 premium. I purchased the car from a local Ford dealer here and when first checking the car out the instrument cluster has been showing a headlight system error warning. I eventually decided to purchase the car on the condition that this issue gets resolved. The dealer took the car to the local Infiniti dealership. They checked all the fuses and replaced both headlight control modules on either side ($1700 worth of parts) thinking this would resolve the issue. It did not, the dealer gave me the ultimatum to take the car as is or unwind the deal. I decided to keep the car. I forgot to mention that both headlights function completely fine. Headlights work, LED surrounds work, brights work and dogs work. Everything is functioning properly but I’m still getting this error.
Any ideas what it could be?

The car has never been in any accidents or have had either headlight replaced. The Infiniti dealer could have dug into the problem even more they said but the Ford dealership didn’t want to spend anymore money considering everything is working as it should. I personally spoke with one of the techs and he said it could possibly be a little LED bulb from the surround causing the error. Thoughts?
I found this video on what seems to be the same issue with the "headlight system error"
Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/NZ2SePoHRM0

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Thanks. I have not been retired long enough yet to have the manual memorized. I also haven't had occasion to haul bags of manure in the trunk for the garden.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Great bandaid but doesn't tell why this is happening and the "real" fix for the issue???
Yeah, shorting a connector to fool the system isn't my first choice as a solution.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you have the Technology Package for your model year, then you have the auto-leveling adaptive front lighting system.

Active Trace Control is the system that controls brake pressure at each wheel based on steering and acceleration/braking patterns to help control the car.

The Hill Start Assist system keeps the brakes applied for a maximum of 2 seconds while stopped on a hill and the car is in forward or reverse. The system keeps the car from rolling in the time it takes to release the brake pedal and step on the accelerator. If you take longer than 2 seconds to do that, then the system releases the brake and Hill Start Assist stops working.

Thanks A53. Still not sure if I have it or not though! lol Can you tell?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts