Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like a week ago i noticed my headlights were sort of flickering when i was driving. it's mainly when i accelerate hard i notice this. i thought it was the bumpy roads at first, but when i am stopped behind someone at a light, there is a slight flicker. this only happens when the car is in drive. as soon as i put the car in park, the flickering stops, so i'm basically unable to take a video of it. i'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the fix was. the headlight replacement is like $1400 i heard from a service advisor when i was talking to them that is pretty insane.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,285 Posts
I'd say your alternator or IC regulator is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd. What year is the car, what engine, and how many miles? How many volts is the alternator putting out?
its a 2014 3.7 and i have about 108K right now. i have no clue how many volts for the alternator, but i just got an oil change and belt replacement like a week ago not even. this started not long after that. they did an inspection and everything was fine although im not too sure how thorough they really check everything lol

I'd say your alternator or IC regulator is bad.
thanks im gonna get it checked out hopefully its nothing too crazy lol im not trying to have to replace the headlight

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree with @Avedis53, it’s either your alternator or IC regulator. I’m leaning more towards alternator because it only happens under load. If it was the regulator, I’d suspect it would happen at idle too. I would be absolutely shocked if it was your headlight.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,285 Posts
If it's the IC regulator, you'll still have to replace the alternator as the IC regulator is an internal, non-replaceable part of the alternator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with @Avedis53, it’s either your alternator or IC regulator. I’m leaning more towards alternator because it only happens under load. If it was the regulator, I’d suspect it would happen at idle too. I would be absolutely shocked if it was your headlight.
If it's the IC regulator, you'll still have to replace the alternator as the IC regulator is an internal, non-replaceable part of the alternator.
i honestly hope its the ic regulator. if i have to replace the headlight i might have a stroke o_O

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,285 Posts
i honestly hope its the ic regulator. if i have to replace the headlight i might have a stroke o_O
A new alternator runs about $600 at an Infiniti parts store.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I go with alternator also put wouldn't spending maybe $150 at the dealership to get an honest evaluation be better than just loading the parts cannon? That's assuming you have a competent dealer that you trust.

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I go with alternator also put wouldn't spending maybe $150 at the dealership to get an honest evaluation be better than just loading the parts cannon? That's assuming you have a competent dealer that you trust.
A new alternator runs about $600 at an Infiniti parts store.
it's the headlight apparently. i took it to the dealership they say something broke inside the headlight which is causing it to shake when im driving.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,285 Posts
it's the headlight apparently. i took it to the dealership they say something broke inside the headlight which is causing it to shake when im driving.
A flickering headlight to me is one that is varying in intensity or rapidly turning on and off, not vibrating, which would be a mechanical problem. That's why the alternator comments.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,608 Posts
In to see what the resolution is for the stroke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts