Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am a potential new Infiniti Q50 purchaser. My wife and I are looking at vehicles which have not only very high crash safety ratings but also at a good level of ride comfort which my wife needs.

4 years ago my wife was involved in a very ugly head on crash with a double-trailer gravel truck at highway speeds in which she was a passenger, her daughter - then 16 - was driving on a learners permit and my wife's car lost control on black ice.

I state this only to explain the necessity of my wife's comfort during a road trip. My research was aided tremendously by the iihs website on top safety picks.

Today we went out and we compared the Infiniti Q50 and the Volvo S80 to one another. It's quite amazing how both cars have so much to offer. Both cars are extremely competent and rank very highly in terms of crash safety.

I spoke with my brother later on today, he is a seasoned mechanic who started his career in automobile repairs 20 years ago, he has learned much of his trade not only in the public realm but also in the Canadian military and has since moved onto locomotive engine repairs.

My brother recommended the Q50 for it's better engineering, greater availability of choices in options, for it's more durable power train.

I feel that my brother is very likely correct and I trust his words.

I have also heard of a recall on the 2014 Q50 involving the steer by wire system failing in cold temperatures.

Today the salesman was very helpful in this, he told me that it was due to low battery bus voltage and that reprogramming the steering computers to permit operation at the voltages encountered under cold ambient conditions resolves this problem.

I would like to hear the experiences of others in this regard as well as general issues and durability of the vehicle, it’s power plant (3.7L engine, no hybrid, automatic transmission, all wheel drive), so I may learn more.

Thank you,
geo

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi
Today we went out and we compared the Infiniti Q50 and the Volvo S80 to one another. It's quite amazing how both cars have so much to offer. Both cars are extremely competent and rank very highly in terms of crash safety.
If you're picking between the 2, i'll suggest the Q50 hands down in a second, not only is it a brand new model refresh, it has tons more tech then the Volvo does, the Volvo S80 has also been out since 08, and is due for a refresh soon. My family also owns a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 (fully loaded) and we've had nothing but problem after problem with the car. We've always done maintenance on time and at the dealership, however it still bombarded us with problems, It might just be our car, but it's ruined the experience for us when it comes to the Volvo brand.

Edit : as for the whole steer by wire failure in cold thing, I'm in vancouver, and i have yet to run into the problem, however if thats a concern, you could always get a Q50 without the steer by wire option.

Quick picture for verification ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, that was very useful to me since you have both vehicles there and you have experience with maintenance on both.

The electronic safety features are very attractive and important to us. The safety features are the prime factor in our decision process. Reliability is also important.

I admit that the gadgetry is distracting, gadgets such as the 2 screens and all of the buttons. I'm accustomed to simpler vehicles. But I understand that these gadgets are part and parcel of the other safety features such as crash avoidance, etc... so I will have to learn to accept these other features and manage their intrusiveness.

How do you feel about engine and drivetrain durability and maintenance? And how do you feel about tires on the Q50?

I have a concern about alloy wheels, I've never trusted them and I've always put steel wheels on any vehicle I've owned. Are the alloy wheels ok?

Thanks,
geo

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I havent owned the car for long (4 months ish now) but i've got a 2011 QX56 (38xxxKMs) as well, and that car has been perfect, nothings been needed to be done to it except for regular maintenance. As for the tires, if you've been looking around on the forums, you'll know the runflats are no good, and you'll want to replace them with something almost right away, however for me, i've kinda gotten used to it, only thing that gets me every time about the runflats, is that it whips up rocks into the wheel wells like no tomorrow.

Whats the concern with alloy wheels, putting steels on would be pretty much a downgrade..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.

The stock tires which come with the Q50, are they terrible?

What are the bad points of the stock tires?

Which tires - winter and summer - are recommended for the Q50? I plan to use the Q50 as a daily driver all year around.

Thanks,
geo

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the process of purchasing a Q50 in the next few weeks, so can't address your question(s) based on this model. What I can tell you, however, is that I have now driven Infiniti's for the past 8 years (4 years - G35 sedan and (almost) 4 years G37S coupe). Have had 'zero' mechanical (or other) issues during this entire time. While I love the G37S, I now need something a little more practical, hence the Q50. Powertrain is pretty much 'best in class' and warranty is decent as well. Have compared a number of vehicles and feature for feature, including safety ratings, plus dollar for dollar, Infiniti, in my opinion, offers best all-around package. This said, I am still debating the DAS (drive by wire) vs rack and pinion option. I am from the Vancouver, B.C. area where we typically are not subject to long stretches of cold weather. I have also corresponded with two well-respected, knowledgeable (media)professional auto experts, each of whom independently gave the DAS, as well as the Q50 itself, a thumbs up. There is no doubt that the steering feels different from what one has been used to (ie - does not feel as connected to the road), but the ride is amazingly smooth. Regardless of which steering option you choose and based on my personal experience with the brand, I don't think you will regret your decision to purchase the Infiniti brand. As far as the alloy wheels are concerned, has not been an issue. My two cents...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am from the Vancouver, B.C. area where we typically are not subject to long stretches of cold weather.
Which dealership in vancouver are you buying from? I'm also from vancouver, i've had no problems this winter when it comes to DAS, i've owned my Q50 since the beginning of october

Reactions: george_rutkay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which dealership in vancouver are you buying from? I'm also from vancouver, i've had no problems this winter when it comes to DAS, i've owned my Q50 since the beginning of october
That's encouraging to hear (re:- DAS). Which model did you purchase - Premium or Sport? I have always had the "Sport" model and yet have heard that the Premium is superior for 'city driving'. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Am dealing with Autowest Infiniti - Richmond Automall (have purchased last two vehicles from them). Have been good to deal with in the past and I anticipate a similar experience this time around.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That's encouraging to hear (re:- DAS). Which model did you purchase - Premium or Sport? I have always had the "Sport" model and yet have heard that the Premium is superior for 'city driving'. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Am dealing with Autowest Infiniti - Richmond Automall (have purchased last two vehicles from them). Have been good to deal with in the past and I anticipate a similar experience this time around.
I deal with Autowest Infiniti as well, i've purchased my QX56 2011 there as well.

As for the trim I've got the Sport RWD, it only comes in one option in Canada which is fully loaded, the premium never did it for me, i didnt like the front fascia, the brakes or the wheels, for me the Q50 was sport or bust, i love the aggressive front fascia and the akebonos and the sporty interior. Before the purchase of the Q50, i drove plenty of G37S coupes, M37S, and G sedans and the Q is a big step ahead of all of them, however the G coupe IPL will always be a soft spot for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been using my Q50S as a daily driver in Calgary and its been very reliable. I didn't get DAS so I never had an issue with steering but the cold weather did give me a check engine light when one of the fuel sensors froze. It did come back again but it wasn't really a big issue.

I switched over to winter tires as the black ice has been brutal for us this year because of rising temperatures during the day and dipping far below zero overnight. I got ran off the road by a taxi driver as well this winter season and was able to recover quite easily and chase his ass down. The vehicle gave me confidence when *I had to* drive aggressively in poor conditions.

My recommendation is to get 3M between the rear passenger doors and wheel wells. So much salt and rocks hit there so often. I have severe chips there and the cost to repair is extensive, so ended up the dealership using touch up paint (which didn't match and didn't fully cover the chips) and putting 3M on top. It's such an eye sore =(

Reactions: Vancity808

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've never owned Volvo but I can give you recommendation on Infiniti reliability. The Q50 engine is the same as G and been tested for over 10 years. I would say there is no question there. (hoping Infiniti would develop new engine with twin turbo for fuel efficiency. It is a little outdated now but time tested already).

For DAS, if you are getting all the Nancy Tech Package, is there one without DAS?

I agree with Vancity. The sport looks better with agressive facia and better braking. However, it comes with a very stiff suspension. I got sport and tested the premium also to decide which I would go with. The sport is for sure a bit bumpier especially with 19 inch wheels and RFT. However, on the highway road, I can't tell the different between premium and sport.

My only complaint with Q is that, Q is a lot more refined and better but it is becoming more luxury than sporty. I am just more used to raw G feeling. That is just ME.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If ride quality is a concern, I've driven around lower mainland (Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Portmoody, North-Van) and the 19s with the RFTs isnt that bad, however go for a test drive, see if the dealership with lend it out for 24 hours, and decide which one you want then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very helpful - thanks. My heart has always said "Sport" trim for many of the same reasons you have mentioned. Decision pretty much made. The only other consideration I am yet contemplating is AWD vs RWD. If you don't mind one more question, may I ask why you chose RWD? Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Being in Vancouver, everyone is convinced they need AWD... even though it barley snowed this year, i chose the RWD because i do like to hang the tail out once in a while, and for me there is no need for the AWD, however if you're purchasing for Autowest, i waited 3 months for a RWD because it was a factory order, as they dont bring anything other then AWDs in, so thats something to think about if you need the car within the month, last time i checked there had only been a few RWDs sold.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where we presently live, in Grand Valley, winters can be difficult with road closures and white outs, ice forming on roads then getting covered by blowing and drifting snow.

Even later when we move to Guelph, the roads can still be clobbered with bad weather.

So AWD is of interest to me as well as all of the traction and safety controls. My wife deserves the safest transportation I can give her.

geo

·
Registered
53 Posts
AWD is the only one that gets heated steering wheel as well. Since I have it now, I can't live without it. I leave it on auto setting and my steering wheel is toasty in 2-3 mins.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not true, my RWD has a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, so we've decided that we're going to purchase the Q50 instead of the S80. It's a tight competition between the two vehicles, both are very competent and comfortable.

But in the end the Q50 won us over.

Thank you for your help,
geo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not true, my RWD has a heated steering wheel.
Well you have the sport which all models have, he's probably getting the premium which requires AWD.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yea, so we've decided that we're going to purchase the Q50 instead of the S80. It's a tight competition between the two vehicles, both are very competent and comfortable.

But in the end the Q50 won us over.

Thank you for your help,
geo
what package/trim?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.