Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi from sunny southwest Florida!

I am currently in the market for my new business sedan and the 2014 Q50 is on my short list. I'm glad I found this forum because it offers great information and honest feedback from owners.

In addition to the Q50, I'm considering the Cadillac ATS and the BMW 3-Series.

I have been an Acura owner for the past 15 years (Acura Legend and Acura TL Type S). They have been solid performers but my current 2002 TL Type S had a tranny rebuild three years ago. I'm moving away from Acura because I am no longer fighting the midwest winters (Moved from Chicago in 2005) and I want another rear-wheel drive car. Plus, I don't like the looks of the current generation of Acuras. I think my 2002 TLS looks better than the current TL.

Anyway, I'm shopping the Q50 Sport RWD with NAV model. My two primary color choices are the Graphite Shadow and Venetian Ruby. I'm leaning red, however I like both the Cadillac and BWM red better than the Infiniti red.

I think the Graphite Shadow is a great color and perhaps the best color for the car, however as many other people have already commented, the gray, silver, white, and black sport sedans are all too common these days. I was never a "red" type of guy, however I helped negotiate a deal for my father-in-law when he purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. He purchased a red one and I really like the look. Plus, you can't miss it in the parking lot! :D The Florida-legal window tint also make the red pop!

I even own a gray (Medium Spiral Gray) Corvette so I'd like to change it up a bit. My current Acura, which will be retired for my teenage daughter, is black so I don't want another black sedan. I do want the black interior however, regardless of the exterior color.

Below is a video I found on You Tube that shows the different colors for anyone looking for a nice comparison. I'm going to start shopping the dealerships in the next few weeks and I look forward to seeing my desired color combinations in person. The only mod I'm considering is the black front grille which IMO really looks good on either color. Window tint is legal in Florida (to a certain degree) plus we don't have front plates which IMO will make the front grille look even nicer.

The good news is I can even wait for the end of year sales if necessary. The week between Christmas and New Years is a great week to score a new car deal.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see that you're considering a Q50S. I have a Graphite Shadow Q50S with all the packages and its a great car. The handling, performance and luxury inside is great compared to the 2005 Acura TL that I traded in.

I get compliments on the car and the color almost everyday. The color doesn't take that much care which is a plus for me, it could be dirty or clean and it would still look clean, which was one reason why I got this color. I had a silver TL before and it was a pain because when it was dirty, you could tell.

Good luck with your purchase and decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see that you're considering a Q50S. I have a Graphite Shadow Q50S with all the packages and its a great car. The handling, performance and luxury inside is great compared to the 2005 Acura TL that I traded in.

I get compliments on the car and the color almost everyday. The color doesn't take that much care which is a plus for me, it could be dirty or clean and it would still look clean, which was one reason why I got this color. I had a silver TL before and it was a pain because when it was dirty, you could tell.

Good luck with your purchase and decision.
I think the gray metallic paint that Infiniti uses is great! Some grays are too dark and some are too light. The metallic flake seems to pop and the lines of the car really look good in that color.

When I shopped for my Corvette in 2004, I never considered gray until I saw my Medium Spiral Gray convertible in the showroom. If you have a good gray, it really pops and since GM only made the MSG paint for two years, my C5 convertible is pretty rare. (Photo below)

My only concern is that I've never bought a new car the first year in its production run and I'm curious if the Q50 has any bugs that are starting to be identified. The car looks great and as mentioned the black grill on the Graphite Shadow looks fantastic! :cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The main bugs found so far are in the InTouch system. The most dramatic problem is that it simply locks up from time to time. Infiniti is working hard on dealing with this and they have an update coming out in the next few weeks.

Another cause for concern, not really a bug, is the run-flat tires. They have been pretty unpopular so far in terms of their impact on handling, ride, and road noise. A few Q50 owners have changed out their tires already and report significant improvements in all of these areas. To take this approach you need to get the spare tire option or have some other plan in mind for dealing with flats.

The drive-by-wire steering certainly is not a bug, but it is an area you should investigate. Some people think it's great. Some people hate it. Drive it yourself to get your own impression. It was fine to me.

I also like the Graphite Shadow color. It's one of the colors that does a really good job of highlighting the lines of the car. There's something to be said for all of the colors, though. They all look nice in person. If you dig, you can find some pretty amusing threads on color selection. :) If you find one that appeals to you, go for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main bugs found so far are in the InTouch system. The most dramatic problem is that it simply locks up from time to time. Infiniti is working hard on dealing with this and they have an update coming out in the next few weeks.

Another cause for concern, not really a bug, is the run-flat tires. They have been pretty unpopular so far in terms of their impact on handling, ride, and road noise. A few Q50 owners have changed out their tires already and report significant improvements in all of these areas. To take this approach you need to get the spare tire option or have some other plan in mind for dealing with flats.

The drive-by-wire steering certainly is not a bug, but it is an area you should investigate. Some people think it's great. Some people hate it. Drive it yourself to get your own impression. It was fine to me.

I also like the Graphite Shadow color. It's one of the colors that does a really good job of highlighting the lines of the car. There's something to be said for all of the colors, though. They all look nice in person. If you dig, you can find some pretty amusing threads on color selection. :) If you find one that appeals to you, go for it.
Funny, because one of the biggest knocks against the Cadillac ATS is the Cadillace Que interface. It seems like car manufacturers are struggling with integrating this technology as Infiniti is not the first to have bugs in their systems.

I have read about the run-flat tires and their impact on handling. Since I am targeting the Q50 RWD Sport model, I'm hoping to bypass that issue.

I'm not too familiar with the drive by wire steering issue so I will look into that.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Below is a video I found on You Tube that shows the different colors for anyone looking for a nice comparison.
That Youtube video shows renders that don't necessarily show what the cars look like in real life.

Visit the links below and check out the official dedicated threads on each of the Q50 paint colors to see real life photos of the cars, including actual cars from forum members:

New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Pictures - 2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum

Venetian Ruby Red

Graphite Shadow

Moonlight White

Black Obsidian

Chestnut Bronze

Hagane Blue

Malbec Black

Liquid Platinum

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That Youtube video shows renders that don't necessarily show what the cars look like in real life.

Visit the links below and check out the official dedicated threads on each of the Q50 paint colors to see real life photos of the cars, including actual cars from forum members:

New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Pictures - 2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum

Venetian Ruby Red

Graphite Shadow

Moonlight White

Black Obsidian

Chestnut Bronze

Hagane Blue

Malbec Black

Liquid Platinum
Thanks for the links. This is great!

So far, I think my favorite is the Graphite Shadow with the black grill mod. I think that color matches up with the Sport wheels the best as they have a gray tint. I still like the Venetian Ruby as well, however I guess the true deciding factor will be seeing both colors in person. Who knows, maybe another color will speak to me at that time. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.