Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Is the serpentine belt issue an ongoing one?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm new here but hope to be around for awhile. I lurked the G37 forums for awhile until I upgraded to a gorgeous white 2017 AWD RS w/ 27k miles a couple weekends ago.

Anywho, to celebrate my purchase of this beautiful used car, my serpentine belt disintegrated during some spirited driving and took out a few other components that resulted in the engine overheating. Whatever, soml, it's under warranty for a few more months right? Don't freak out, the piston heads probably aren't warped ¯\(ツ)

After I carted my new love off to the service hospital, I found the ITB17-004B and tons of posts on this forum discussing what is apparently a huge problem. Coincidentally, my VIN was actually within the service bulletin's original VIN range of affected vehicles. Holla.

The dealer replaced the serpentine belt, 2 pulleys, and a tensioner. Most fluids got refilled/charged. There's also a comment in the worknotes mentioning the above bulletin and realigning the A/C compressor that supposedly fixes this issue?

The linked post and others I've found don't really come to a conclusion so I really hope we can reach one here to avoid what may possibly be the heaviest case of buyer's remorse I've felt in my life. Can I drive this car like the top-trim successor to the G37 it's supposed to be without fear it'll chew up another belt, or is my new purchase meant to have the gas pedal treated like glass from now on?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here but hope to be around for awhile. I lurked the G37 forums for awhile until I upgraded to a gorgeous white 2017 AWD RS w/ 27k miles a couple weekends ago.

Anywho, to celebrate my purchase of this beautiful used car, my serpentine belt disintegrated during some spirited driving and took out a few other components that resulted in the engine overheating. Whatever, soml, it's under warranty for a few more months right? Don't freak out, the piston heads probably aren't warped ¯\(ツ)

After I carted my new love off to the service hospital, I found the ITB17-004B and tons of posts on this forum discussing what is apparently a huge problem. Coincidentally, my VIN was actually within the service bulletin's original VIN range of affected vehicles. Holla.

The dealer replaced the serpentine belt, 2 pulleys, and a tensioner. Most fluids got refilled/charged. There's also a comment in the worknotes mentioning the above bulletin and realigning the A/C compressor that supposedly fixes this issue?

The linked post and others I've found don't really come to a conclusion so I really hope we can reach one here to avoid what may possibly be the heaviest case of buyer's remorse I've felt in my life. Can I drive this car like the top-trim successor to the G37 it's supposed to be without fear it'll chew up another belt, or is my new purchase meant to have the gas pedal treated like glass from now on?
The dealership took the correct action regarding the ITB. A/C compressor re-alignment is part of the repair. I don't think I've heard of anyone who once they've had this ITB addressed, had a re-occurrence. Drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Reactions: brazza and Avedis53

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Your car is fixed and should be just fine.

For a feeling of security keep a Gates part # K060766A belt in your trunk. Available at O'Reilly's or other parts store.

I do as a "just in case" to save the repair time. It's fairly simple and could be a roadside repair if you have the belt.

I'm replacing mine with the one in my trunk in a few weeks, so will get another spare.

Reactions: socalsupra

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[...]For a feeling of security keep a Gates part # K060766A belt in your trunk. Available at O'Reilly's or other parts store.

I do as a "just in case" to save the repair time. It's fairly simple and could be a roadside repair[...]
Great idea. I guess RockAuto.com stocks them, my fav site since they're close = fast shipping ;). I found all the service manuals awhile back and it doesn't look TOO hard, now that I actually dig into the manual lol.
Pic related:

I suppose in a pinch I could do this on the side of the road. Getting the belly pan off would probably be the hardest part. Apparently for the belt you just get leverage w a big ol' socket wrench to turn the tensioner so the holes align, then stick an allen wrench or something in the B holes to lock it in the loosened position while you just slip on the belt. After removing everything, just turn it a few times clockwise to distribute tension. Not bad, tbh.

And thanks also for your input regarding the condition of my car. I've been driving her more and haven't noticed anything awry knocks on wood

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Great idea. I guess RockAuto.com stocks them, my fav site since they're close = fast shipping ;). I found all the service manuals awhile back and it doesn't look TOO hard, now that I actually dig into the manual lol.

I suppose in a pinch I could do this on the side of the road. Getting the belly pan off would probably be the hardest part. Apparently for the belt you just get leverage w a big ol' socket wrench to turn the tensioner so the holes align, then stick an allen wrench or something in the B holes to lock it in the loosened position while you just slip on the belt. After removing everything, just turn it a few times clockwise to distribute tension. Not bad, tbh.
Removing the belt wasn't too hard, although I went at it from the top. I used both top and bottom access to loop the belt around the pulleys & tensioner. With bigger hands, having the coolant & IC over-flow bottles out of the way was a big help for access.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any "recommended" belt replacement interval to avoid further issues? I had the car in the shop for a fking 1.5 month because it took the engine harness with it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'd recommend replacing the serpentine belt every 25-30k miles.

I just replaced the OEM belt w/25k miles with a Gates belt.

The OEM belt had developed a fair amount of stretch, based on the change in the indicator position on the tensioner.

Reactions: u1arunit and brazza
1 - 9 of 9 Posts