Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding the ANC unit, I am stuck again with booming sound going out of the front door speakers on my 2017 2.0t premium w/o Bose audio system, back to the dealer & they diagnosed that the ANC control unit is faulty and need to be replaced. Unfortunately, they said it is not included in the warranty this time & I should to pay for the 600$ ridiculous price. to stop the noise, they simply unplugged it which caused a buzz sound in the rear speakers!
the thing now is:
1- Can this unit be repaired? Do you advise?
2- If not, can I simply buy a used replacement unit and just plug & go without need for any reprogramming? (any links for that purchase & I ship directly to UAE)
3- Meanwhile, is there anything I can do to get rid of the buzz sound by disconnecting the power to that unit temporarily without harming any other equipment?

attached are the pictures and model number for the related unit (Note: the stealership highly recommended that I shouldn't try to replace by myself as this may cause thousands of dollars in damage to other parts of the car and they asked for extra 150 USD just for the replacement fees 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ) .

This is so irritating and I need to get this solved at the soonest hopefully !
Thanks a lot.

Registered
The buzzing is because the ANC has a ground for your audio system. Plug it back in, but to get rid of the booming, cut the power wire. If I recall correctly its a white wire that goes into pin 20. Unless you love the fake exhaust sound, it鈥檚 pretty much useless. Sure, if you call anyone hands free, they鈥檒l hear more road noise, but these cars have so much of that that my wife didn鈥檛 notice anything different.

read through this, it might help you out more:

Registered
I disabled both ANC and ASC and discovered the only difference that I can tell is my Bose sounds better with them both off.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

Registered
I disabled both ANC and ASC and discovered the only difference that I can tell is my Bose sounds better with them both off.
OP said he has non-Bose, like me. So sadly, we can鈥檛 just turn it off from a menu, we have to actually cut a wire.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
The buzzing is because the ANC has a ground for your audio system. Plug it back in, but to get rid of the booming, cut the power wire. If I recall correctly its a white wire that goes into pin 20. Unless you love the fake exhaust sound, it鈥檚 pretty much useless. Sure, if you call anyone hands free, they鈥檒l hear more road noise, but these cars have so much of that that my wife didn鈥檛 notice anything different.

read through this, it might help you out more:
Just one power wire? The Active Noise Control Unit has an ignition power feed on pin 20 from fuse #77, but it also has an accessory power feed on pin 16 from fuse #93 and a battery power feed on pin 32 from fuse #86.

Registered
Just one power wire? The Active Noise Control Unit has an ignition power feed on pin 20 from fuse #77, but it also has an accessory power feed on pin 16 from fuse #93 and a battery power feed on pin 32 from fuse #86.
True. I only cut the one on pin 20 and haven鈥檛 had any issues. But that鈥檚 why I posted a link to that discussion in case just pin 20 doesn鈥檛 work for OP they need to cut the other two.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
True. I only cut the one on pin 20 and haven鈥檛 had any issues. But that鈥檚 why I posted a link to that discussion in case just pin 20 doesn鈥檛 work for OP they need to cut the other two.
One at a time and check it before cutting another one.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
One at a time and check it before cutting another one.
Curious why leaving the unit unplugged doesn't work. Not familiar with the ANC unit at all but what's the issue with that as opposed to cutting factory wires?

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
I'd consider buying a used one and replacing it since the dealership said the ANC unit was faulty. The dealership claiming you could cause damage to your car by replacing it yourself is a lie. They are plug and play. No programming and simple to swap out. There are plenty for sale on eBay and many below $100, like this one:

2017 INFINITI Q50 SEDAN 3.0T SPORT OEM ACTIVE NOISE CONTROLLER MODULE #7166 | eBay

Registered
Curious why leaving the unit unplugged doesn't work. Not familiar with the ANC unit at all but what's the issue with that as opposed to cutting factory wires?
Because it鈥檚 tied into your audio system for both fake exhaust noise and Bluetooth noise cancellation, there are grounds for the system tied into as well. If you simply unplug the unit, you get a buzzing sound, usually in the rear speakers, because of that lost ground.

But with it plugged in AND getting power, you鈥檒l get crazy noise in an aftermarket sub and amp. I suspect that鈥檚 because most people use a line out converter instead of swapping decks and using RCA cables.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Because it鈥檚 tied into your audio system for both fake exhaust noise and Bluetooth noise cancellation, there are grounds for the system tied into as well. If you simply unplug the unit, you get a buzzing sound, usually in the rear speakers, because of that lost ground.

But with it plugged in AND getting power, you鈥檒l get crazy noise in an aftermarket sub and amp. I suspect that鈥檚 because most people use a line out converter instead of swapping decks and using RCA cables.
I thought I've seen posts where the ANC unit was unplugged and there was no ground noise issue?

Registered
馃し鈥嶁檪锔 I think I have too, which makes me curious what the difference is as to why some make a buzzing when unplugged and some don鈥檛. Maybe a better connection between the ANC unit and the parcel shelf?

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
馃し鈥嶁檪锔 I think I have too, which makes me curious what the difference is as to why some make a buzzing when unplugged and some don鈥檛. Maybe a better connection between the ANC unit and the parcel shelf?
馃し鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated, I think the best thing to do for now is to familiarize with the annoying buzz sound and I will order a used replacement item rather than cutting a wire in the car & losing any BT related functions. I will post updates accordingly !

Registered
You won鈥檛 lose BT function, there will just be more road noise when you call someone. The blue tooth will work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts