Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change my oil just now and when I try to take out the 14mm drain plug, the gold circular portion that the drain plug screws into just spins. This sucks. I can't think of any way to fix this.

I guess I'll need a new drain pan? I wonder if this is covered under warranty.

Has this happened to others?

:(

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
541 Posts
Got to love plastic oil pans - If it is not under warranty, the Dropbear (overpriced) billet oil pan is always an upgrade / option.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
Went to change my oil just now and when I try to take out the 14mm drain plug, the gold circular portion that the drain plug screws into just spins. This sucks. I can't think of any way to fix this.

I guess I'll need a new drain pan? I wonder if this is covered under warranty.

Has this happened to others?

:(

View attachment 100841
Any way to get some vice-grips on that ring to hold it in place while you wrench the drain screw?

What did you do? Gorilla that plug in? You are only to torque that drain screw to 2.5 ft-lbs with a new crush washer.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
His last oil change was at Grease Monkey, Jiffy Lube... fill in your "favorite" oil change place...

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,662 Posts
Another advantage to putting in a Fumoto valve.

This was the reason I finally bought a 3/8" drive torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Spud is the last person that needs a problem like this to raise his blood pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
His last oil change was at Grease Monkey, Jiffy Lube... fill in your "favorite" oil change place...
Last time I went to one of these clown shops they forgot to put the washer back on the drain plug of my girlfriend's '81 Dodge Challenger (the one Mitsubishi built) and the next oil change I could not get the plug out. At the time I had no idea why it wouldn't come out as my only experience up until then was Fords and American cars back then didn't use no stupid washers on the oil drain plug - what kind of dumb $h!t was that? I've told my wife that if I die tomorrow take the car(s) only to the dealer for oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Spud likes links:

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts

I bought a fumoto valve, but theblocation at which it tightens down does not work with my adtermarket skid plate...sadly.

I had them on my 3.6R and WRX.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any way to get some vice-grips on that ring to hold it in place while you wrench the drain screw?

What did you do? Gorilla that plug in? You are only to torque that drain screw to 2.5 ft-lbs with a new crush washer.
No way. It has maybe a .5 - 1.0mm exposed ledge to grab on to. It's like a multi-multi gear cog. So, when it turns with the wrench, I can feel click-click-click-click.....

I probably did not bother with a torque wrench the last time I tightened it but I know I did not He-Man it. I blame the lame plastic drain pan, not me. Wondering why this is not happening to more people.

New OEM pans are over $200. :cry:

This blows.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I gave it good consideration. And it would also be great to take down only half the annoying splash shield instead of the whole umpteen-bolt shield. But - and call me silly - I like to use a magnetic drain plug.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I gave it good consideration. And it would also be great to take down only half the annoying splash shield instead of the whole umpteen-bolt shield. But - and call me silly - I like to use a magnetic drain plug.
There's the problem, the magnet is too strong and it is holding tight to that ring it turns in to.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I bought a fumoto valve, but theblocation at which it tightens down does not work with my adtermarket skid plate...sadly.

I had them on my 3.6R and WRX.
Angle grinder.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well, you're resigned to a new pan, but to get the oil out without making a mess, you might want to try an air impact to coax the drain plug to break-free (rapidly) of the insert so that you can at least drain out the oil.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

2.5? Is that all? Are you sure? Generally more like 15 or so. But that has been on steel pans. Or aluminum with an insert.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

In inch-pounds?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
2.5? Is that all? Are you sure? Generally more like 15 or so. But that has been on steel pans. Or aluminum with an insert.
After further review of the SM, they put two scales of torque in the diagram. All the torque icons are in in-lbs EXCEPT the oil pan drain screw (#19), whose torque icon is the negative image of the rest and indicate ft-lbs. So the correct answer is 30 ft-lbs. Sneaky little buggers.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Reactions: BigHeadClan
1 - 20 of 113 Posts