Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Any way to get some vice-grips on that ring to hold it in place while you wrench the drain screw?

What did you do? Gorilla that plug in? You are only to torque that drain screw to 2.5 ft-lbs with a new crush washer.
I believe it's 25 ft-lb for the RWD and 24 for the AWD.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,639 Posts
Reactions: jodedor

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
For when the oil gushes out like when you remove the plug.
Ahh, gotcha! At first I thought you were questioning my drill ownership! lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Spud likes links:

Oh man I might actually buy this? How long have you had these and is there anything I should know prior to ownership and installation?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The question I'd like to ask is, who the heck did your last oil change? Smack him with that oil pan once you removed it.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Oh man I might actually buy this? How long have you had these and is there anything I should know prior to ownership and installation?
This is my first Fumoto, but it was a popular item on the LegacyGT.com forum. I used an Aeroquip system on my Legacy but if I remember correctly they do not (or did not) make one to fit the Q50. It will not fit our Escape without an extension that Fumoto makes because the drain plug is recessed and I didn't want to introduce more potential spots to leak.

The hole is smaller meaning it takes a bit longer to drain. It hangs down a bit lower, but unless you are off roading or drive over a lot of road debris I wouldn't worry about it. The F-133 (the link above) is a little lower profile than the one I have on my Q (F-103, the F-133 wasn't available before).

They supply a plastic clip as extra assurance that road debris doesn't inadvertently flip the lever to the open position (I think it would take almost a miracle for that to actually happen - you have to push up on the lever and then rotate the lever 90 degrees). I have taken that one step further and I wrap a zip tie around the valve to make sure the black clip stays in place.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
For when the oil gushes out like when you remove the plug.
It helps to crack the oil fill cap before you loosen and remove the drain plug - it will help equalize the air pressure in the crankcase, and the oil will flow more uniformly out of the drain plug hole.

I also let the engine sit about 15-30 minutes after shutdown to make sure the oil has drained from the cylinder head galleys.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It helps to crack the oil fill cap before you loosen and remove the drain plug - it will help equalize the air pressure in the crankcase, and the oil will flow more uniformly out of the drain plug hole.

I also let the engine sit about 15-30 minutes after shutdown to make sure the oil has drained from the cylinder head galleys.
Yes I do that too, I remove the dipstick and fill cap.

I like to drain mine with the oil as hot as possible. I open the drain plug immediately after I shut her off. But then I go and do something else and let it drip for an hour. :)

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The question I'd like to ask is, who the heck did your last oil change? Smack him with that oil pan once you removed it.
Tis I!!

And no I did not crank it down hard last time.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Glad it's not just me. But that's all I could find.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/g3bm41

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would just not worry about it. Oil changes are just something the Motor Oil Industrial Complex pushes for profits. Oil has been in the ground for like a century, but it can't last in your car past a couple months? Follow the money is all I'm saying.

Reactions: Tres3 and rpiotro

·
Registered
Gulfport, Mississippi
49 Posts
I would just not worry about it. Oil changes are just something the Motor Oil Industrial Complex pushes for profits. Oil has been in the ground for like a century, but it can't last in your car past a couple months? Follow the money is all I'm saying.
...grabbing my popcorn for the responses on this...

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
This is my first Fumoto, but it was a popular item on the LegacyGT.com forum. I used an Aeroquip system on my Legacy but if I remember correctly they do not (or did not) make one to fit the Q50. It will not fit our Escape without an extension that Fumoto makes because the drain plug is recessed and I didn't want to introduce more potential spots to leak.

The hole is smaller meaning it takes a bit longer to drain. It hangs down a bit lower, but unless you are off roading or drive over a lot of road debris I wouldn't worry about it. The F-133 (the link above) is a little lower profile than the one I have on my Q (F-103, the F-133 wasn't available before).

They supply a plastic clip as extra assurance that road debris doesn't inadvertently flip the lever to the open position (I think it would take almost a miracle for that to actually happen - you have to push up on the lever and then rotate the lever 90 degrees). I have taken that one step further and I wrap a zip tie around the valve to make sure the black clip stays in place.

View attachment 100881
Have to admire your mechanical ingenuity and the cleanliness of your oil pan and undercarriage. Splash shield or not, the bottom of your Q looks as if it could pass the "white glove" test which is somewhat remarkable considering it's 3 years old. Nice !

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Have to admire your mechanical ingenuity and the cleanliness of your oil pan and undercarriage. Splash shield or not, the bottom of your Q looks as if it could pass the "white glove" test which is somewhat remarkable considering it's 3 years old. Nice !
LOL. That picture was taken back in 2018 just after I installed the Fumoto. The car just turned over 12,000 miles yesterday, so it probably looks almost the same.

The oil itself doesn't wear out that quickly, it's the additive package that gets depleted. But I suspect you just felt like stirring the pot a bit this morning to see whose blood pressure you could raise.

·
Registered
487 Posts
LOL. That picture was taken back in 2018 just after I installed the Fumoto. The car just turned over 12,000 miles yesterday, so it probably looks almost the same.

The oil itself doesn't wear out that quickly, it's the additive package that gets depleted. But I suspect you just felt like stirring the pot a bit this morning to see whose blood pressure you could raise.
Indeed. Those who would normally answer know that.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,811 Posts
I like having the magnetic oil drain plug from Z1. Luckily no spinning to date. No gorilla grip torque used. FYI. This spinning thing sounds like a royal PITA.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have a July appt with Infiniti of Escondido. They said it is covered under warranty. They said I will have to drop off the car and they will give me a loaner. I suspect I will get a new lower oil pan and gasket. And free oil change I suppose. I hope they change the filter. If not I'll bring one for them to change.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts