Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a July appt with Infiniti of Escondido. They said it is covered under warranty. They said I will have to drop off the car and they will give me a loaner. I suspect I will get a new lower oil pan and gasket. And free oil change I suppose. I hope they change the filter. If not I'll bring one for them to change.
Did they not have appointments before July? I recently started a new job in Escondido and I wanted to drop off my car to get the ECU reflash. Nobody would pick up the phone in service. The receptionist told me to call back. Like wtf! I never called back but today I am.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Did they not have appointments before July? I recently started a new job in Escondido and I wanted to drop off my car to get the ECU reflash. Nobody would pick up the phone in service. The receptionist told me to call back. Like wtf! I never called back but today I am.
I have every other Friday off so I have to work with that. And I had a lot of the next 'off' Fridays booked already with other plans. When I ask about Saturdays, they don't give a satisfying answer - they'll say they can't order parts on Saturday or that their main techs are not there. But, if I am dropping off the car, what does it matter?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,639 Posts
You don't want the Saturday crew touching your car. It's the service writer with the lowest seniority and a couple oil change guys that work Saturdays.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
You don't want the Saturday crew touching your car. It's the service writer with the lowest seniority and a couple oil change guys that work Saturdays.
I suspect you're right. I would think changing a lower oil pan is not that difficult - albeit messy as it is filled with oil. But, better to have the weekday guys do it.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I suspect you're right. I would think changing a lower oil pan is not that difficult - albeit messy as it is filled with oil. But, better to have the weekday guys do it.
I don't remember, are all the fasteners accessible without lifting the engine? Or is there a cross member in the way?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
After removing the front under cover, just remove the 10 bolts that hold the lower oil pan in place. No cross member. When installing the lower oil pan, tighten the bolts in this pattern:

First step torque - 26 in-lbs
Second step torque - 74 in-lbs

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I could probably do that. It'd be a lot easier on a lift though.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I wonder what is reusable and what is not. e.g. the 10 bolts, the rubber gasket.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I could probably do that. It'd be a lot easier on a lift though.
Glad I don't have to do it but this is what I imagine it would be like (unless, of course, you simply just drill a hole in the composite oil pan to let it drain that way): Unscrew the oil filter and let that drain as much as you can. Then, with a drain pan under the oil pan, break all 10 bolts free. Then back out bolts 8, 10, 6 about 7/8 of the way. Back out bolts 2, 3, 4 about 3/4. Back out bolts 1 and 7 1/2 way. Back out bolts 5 and 9 3/8. Continue lowering the pan while trying to contain the spilling to one side as much as possible.

Go get the kitty litter. :)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Glad I don't have to do it but this is what I imagine it would be like (unless, of course, you simply just drill a hole in the composite oil pan to let it drain that way): Unscrew the oil filter and let that drain as much as you can. Then, with a drain pan under the oil pan, break all 10 bolts free. Then back out bolts 8, 10, 6 about 7/8 of the way. Back out bolts 2, 3, 4 about 3/4. Back out bolts 1 and 7 1/2 way. Back out bolts 5 and 9 3/8. Continue lowering the pan while trying to contain the spilling to one side as much as possible.

Go get the kitty litter. :)
Most shops have pretty big catch pans for fluids for a reason! But yeah it would be a real mess to try and do that in the home garage. lol
But taking a look at the plug it does looks like the entire pan would need to be replaced, its plastic vs metal teeth so I suspect they
wore the area where the plug would normally rest.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
They said it is covered under warranty. They said I will have to drop off the car and they will give me a loaner. I suspect I will get a new lower oil pan and gasket. And free oil change I suppose. I hope they change the filter. If not I'll bring one for them to change.
But, but, aren't they going to "void" your warranty because of your mods?? ;)

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Escondido is very mod-friendly!

I'm actually more concerned about them denying this claim because I change my own oil. But I explained that on the phone and he said it is covered.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Per the usual discussion around mods, they have to be directly related to the issue for a warranty claim to be denied.

Now because Ptatohed did his own oil change they could say the problem was caused by him over-torqueing
the drain plug and thus should not be covered under warranty as it is considered damaged.

But seems like Escondido is a pretty chill shop as they didn't do that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Per the usual discussion around mods, they have to be directly related to the issue for a warranty claim to be denied.

Now because Ptatohed did his own oil change they could say the problem was caused by him over-torqueing
the drain plug and thus should not be covered under warranty as it is considered damaged.

But seems like Escondido is a pretty chill shop as they didn't do that.
Looks like you missed the sarcasm in my post.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Looks like you missed the sarcasm in my post.
Sorry German side coming out a bit there, it doesn't understand sarcasm. lol

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I dropped the car off today at Escondido Infiniti in San Diego. Things didn't got so well in the beginning. My appointments was at 3:00. I was not helped until after 3:15. The guy I was told to ask for was not there. The guy that helped me had no idea why I was there. I was told on the phone I would be dropping my car off and getting a loaner. He said they have no loaners.

Anyway, better ending than start. The service rep, Mike, ended up being pretty cool. He was totally fine with replacing the oil pan under warranty. He told me I would get new synthetic oil, filter, pan, gasket, bolts, washer, and plug. I reminded him to include the extra .5 qt per TSB.

They have the oil pan in stock but still wanted to send me home. They ended up renting a car for me. I have a Kia Optima. I thought that was pretty cool of them.

He thinks they'll be done tomorrow.

I told them no car wash!!!!!

I'll let you guys know how it all concludes.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I predict you'll fall in love with the Kia and we'll never hear from you again.

Or you and Mike hit it off and start a new life with each other in Tijuana.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I predict you'll fall in love with the Kia and we'll never hear from you again.

Or you and Mike hit it off and start a new life with each other in Tijuana.
If the lane departure warning on the Kia is anything like that on the Q50, I am glad I don't have that feature. It was driving me bonkers!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts