Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
‘14 AWD S 3.7 | FI RHFC | Gemini Invidia CBE | Specialty Z tuned (ecutek)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE Turns out the two 19mm bolts holding the steering rack were loose as I mistakenly broke them loose when removing the bracket to change the starter. I remembered not being able to torque them tight again since there’s an unreachable nut on the top of the steering rack bolt and figured it was normal. Used an Impact gun to torque it tight. Thank god it spun faster than the nut. I’d like to call it a miracle.

So i’m having a loud clunk/popping noise when turning my steering wheel left or right ONLY when stationary or under 5mph. The noise is coming from front driver side and there are a few pops and a loud clunk only at certain points during revolution of steering wheel.

The noise suddenly came about after putting on a new boot/grease on the inner CV axle and It wasn’t there at all beforehand.

I also replaced the outer tie rod end since i had to hammer the **** out the stud so it could pop out when taking apart everything (don’t have a good enough tie rod tool for the ultra unique infiniti tie rod).

Everything is torqued down tight as far as I know so it doesn’t make any sense why this is suddenly happening.

i took a good look underneath the car while i had someone turning the wheel and the sound is coming from either the outer CV joint or the lower ball joint. Is it possible the lower ball joint could be making the noise by going bad magically during removal/reinstall process?

Could it be the outer CV joint because i hammered in (not too hard) the outer spline trying to separate from hub, possibly fucking up the outer ball joint of the axle?

I can’t replicate the noise when the car is off the ground either.

Literally fix something to be surprised by a new problem. That’s my experience with the q50 so far 😂

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm no expert, but I believe there is a process you have to follow before tightening down components like that where the wheel should be preloaded. I'll let others chime in that know better, but that is what comes to my mind. Perhaps the components are binding the releasing when turning because of how they were tightened and installed.

·
Registered
‘14 AWD S 3.7 | FI RHFC | Gemini Invidia CBE | Specialty Z tuned (ecutek)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert, but I believe there is a process you have to follow before tightening down components like that where the wheel should be preloaded. I'll let others chime in that know better, but that is what comes to my mind. Perhaps the components are binding the releasing when turning because of how they were tightened and installed.
I was thinking that could be the problem (especially if the lower ball joint is the culprit) since I didn’t preload the lower control arm when putting it back together. Perhaps it’s too tight?

It wouldn’t make sense though for the CV axle joint since I don’t believe the axle needs to be preloaded.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not sure, but whenever I’ve had a vehicle make clunking noises while turning, it’s been a bad CV joint. So that’s where I would start. The ball joint seems like it would clunk during and up and down movement if that was the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts