Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I just bought a 17 q50 premium sport. I was looking jnti hks bov and the jb4.
I pretty much don't know where to start with modding for performance. Help n guidance is much appreciated! Where do I start.

·
Registered
2018 Q50s
99 Posts
Hi all I just bought a 17 q50 premium sport. I was looking jnti hks bov and the jb4.
I pretty much don't know where to start with modding for performance. Help n guidance is much appreciated! Where do I start.
Like a good man once taught me. You can start at the:
NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ THIS!

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
169 Posts
Where in Canada are you?
If I could do it all again, I’d start with a JB4. Sure makes a big difference for non Red Sports.

·
Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
253 Posts
Welcome! I would start with JB4. Then read the many exhaust threads where mods have been thoroughly discussed and you will pick up a lot of knowledge. At that point you will have a fast car. Then based on your priorities...handling you could look at wheels/tires and coil-overs, or look cool mods - spoiler, chrome delete, etc,. Mods for engine safety/longevity - oil catch can, maybe turbo blow off valves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would do an ECUTEK instead of a JB4 because the JB4 is a piggy back and the ECUTEK is a reflash, but that’s personal preference. I would also look for the parts list for the AMS Performance RA500 package. It’s no longer sold as a package and you can find parts cheaper from other brands, but it will give a great idea of what bolt on’s you could start with. Ultimately however, your biggest gains will be from a tune.

of course, it all comes down to what do you want and what are you willing to sacrifice? Do you want a high horse power monster at the cost of reliability?Do you want just a little more oomph off the line, or higher in the RPM range? Or do you want to mod it in a way that increases its reliability, and any gains are just gravy? Etc. that’s the thing about customization, you’re making it custom to your tastes which makes your question hard to answer unless you elaborate on what your end goal is.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
I would do an ECUTEK instead of a JB4 because the JB4 is a piggy back and the ECUTEK is a reflash, but that’s personal preference. I would also look for the parts list for the AMS Performance RA500 package. It’s no longer sold as a package and you can find parts cheaper from other brands, but it will give a great idea of what bolt on’s you could start with. Ultimately however, your biggest gains will be from a tune.

of course, it all comes down to what do you want and what are you willing to sacrifice? Do you want a high horse power monster at the cost of reliability?Do you want just a little more oomph off the line, or higher in the RPM range? Or do you want to mod it in a way that increases its reliability, and any gains are just gravy? Etc. that’s the thing about customization, you’re making it custom to your tastes which makes your question hard to answer unless you elaborate on what your end goal is.
One thing to consider when going the Ecutek route is the potential for rejecting engine warranty work if the dealership detects a flashed ECU. The JB4 doesn't require an ECU flash so it is easily removed with no trace if you have to take your car in for warranty work on the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That’s spot on, but again it comes down to individual wants and needs. When I do get the Q50 I want, it won’t be a daily driver and if I ever shell the motor (which is unlikely since my plans don’t involve much more than upgraded cooling and exhaust) I’ll go eau rouge on it and cram in a VR38 with standalone engine management. :devilish:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where ya gonna buy the VR38? Are those crates yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts