Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at these intakes and have heard some sound clips which sound great, have also heard temps are a good bit lower with these. Looks like it's a 3" system that would require a tune.

My questions are:
Anybody driven with these in the rain?
Does anyone have any numbers to back up lower temps and supposed 10-15hp gains over the AMS system?

I'd imagine these aren't the greatest in the rain, but would like to hear if anyone has an experience with these. I linked the only listing I could find, seems these are made by High Performance/Power Pro Engineering.

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
572 Posts
TurboP was one of the 1st with this intake and he stated that he needed a retune after install. He was running lean as a result of taking in more air. Sounds promising though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
How does this work better than the stock setup? And also, why is the right side fuel rail a lot more money than the left side?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The location of the intakes makes it better for induction. It does come with silicone inlets too, looks like it can be a better option than stock. Price wise is a bit high, ive heard good things about burger motorsports and other brands for comparison.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Burger, AMS, and Stillen all use the stock air channels in the shroud. This is a different animal altogether. But the air travels the same distance in either setup so I am wondering how this is better.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
TurboP was one of the 1st with this intake and he stated that he needed a retune after install. He was running lean as a result of taking in more air. Sounds promising though.
That statement would prove he's off base. The VR motor is full time closed loop with wideband O2 correction. There is no "running lean" unless youre at the limits of the fuel system which is going to happen from intakes.

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
572 Posts
So once you throttle it you are not going to run lean if you are now taking in more cooler air through the intakes?

He's a good friend with Goracebox so his retune would have came from him.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
So once you throttle it you are not going to run lean if you are now taking in more cooler air through the intakes?

He's a good friend with Goracebox so his retune would have came from him.
If you had open loop fueling you could run lean. Lean is also a relative term. Lean can mean going from 11.2:1 AFR to 11.3:1 AFR, or from 11.2:1 to 15:1. Regardless, with the factory closed loop fuel correction, the ECU will add fueling via the short term fuel trims to correct the measured AFR back to the target ratio. The exception to this is what I mentioned above regarding being at the limit of the stock fuel system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intakes should be way down your list of mods unless you are just trying to make it look cool. From a power standpoint it is very little bang for the buck on Q twin turbo models.
Waste of time and money for anything other than max effort.
There are hundreds of threads on how intakes are "pointless". I understand you get ~15whp max only at the top of the powerband after a tune, however that is not at all what I asked. Please refer to the questions on original post, thanks.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
There are hundreds of threads on how intakes are "pointless". I understand you get ~15whp max only at the top of the powerband after a tune, however that is not at all what I asked. Please refer to the questions on original post, thanks.
Your original post asked "Does anyone have any numbers to back up lower temps and supposed 10-15hp gains over the AMS system?" Everyone is posting up about them being worthless exactly for that reason....because there are a million threads showing little to no gain, some intakes even lost power over stock. Your question was answered including with a video:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your original post asked "Does anyone have any numbers to back up lower temps and supposed 10-15hp gains over the AMS system?" Everyone is posting up about them being worthless exactly for that reason....because there are a million threads showing little to no gain, some intakes even lost power over stock. Your question was answered including with a video.
Can you link me to all these threads showing that these intakes provide no gains over the AMS system? Also please provide the link to this video you mentioned.

I didn't ask about the general consensus of intakes and how they perform, I'm not asking about AFE, BMS, AMS, Stillen etc. vs stock. I'm asking how THESE intakes perform compared to AMS and only that.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Can you link me to all these threads showing that these intakes provide no gains over the AMS system? Also please provide the link to this video you mentioned.

I didn't ask about the general consensus of intakes and how they perform, I'm not asking about AFE, BMS, AMS, Stillen etc. vs stock. I'm asking how THESE intakes perform compared to AMS and only that.
I updated my post with the video. People have been trying to say that the AMS stuff may make 10hp at best WITH a tune. People have tried all sorts of stuff. The intake track is the intake track. More bends the worse the intake. It's not rocket science, or magic. On these tiny turbos there is only so much you can do. Plenty have tried, most have had little to no impact. There's plenty of threads out there and the video gives you plenty of info showing intake styles and comparisons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I updated my post with the video. People have been trying to say that the AMS stuff may make 10hp at best WITH a tune. People have tried all sorts of stuff. The intake track is the intake track. More bends the worse the intake. It's not rocket science, or magic. On these tiny turbos there is only so much you can do. Plenty have tried, most have had little to no impact. There's plenty of threads out there and the video gives you plenty of info showing intake styles and comparisons.
I understand that, I have read many threads on intakes and probably yours too at some point. I have gathered that all other intakes besides AMS are completely useless and all intakes are useless without a tune, yes they are one of the last things one should do, I completely agree with all of those statements.

I plan on going to a HBP exhaust, high and low pressure fuel pumps, injectors, FF kit, intakes and tune, doing it all once so I don't have to pay for a retune. I really like the sound of these so if they have no issues with rain then I would like to get them, additionally if I can get an extra 10-15hp and 10 degrees cooler temps over the intakes I was going to get then why not? That's the way I'm looking at it, regardless I'm getting intakes whether they are AMS or these.

Let me state this, 90% of the reason I am getting intakes in general is for the sound, but I think these specifically just sound so much better than all other offerings. I honestly don't really care as much about the second question as I do the first.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If you're buying cold air intakes for sound then I bow out of the conversation as we are no longer talking technical. I hope you get the setup you want, good luck with your build.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For anyone new viewing this thread since my OP wasn't clear:

I would ONLY like to know how they do in the rain and how they perform against AMS intakes when both are tuned. I have done research on everything else regarding both of these intakes and these are the only two questions I have yet to find an answer on

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
I wouldn't dream of having those filters located where they are in the grille on the Oregon coast. We get a lot of rain here and it gets pretty heavy at times. Add in oncoming cars hitting standing water and throwing a solid wall of water at your car and I'd be afraid of sucking water into the CAI. Where you're located, I doubt it would be a problem.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,170 Posts
For anyone new viewing this thread since my OP wasn't clear:

I would ONLY like to know how they do in the rain and how they perform against AMS intakes when both are tuned. I have done research on everything else regarding both of these intakes and these are the only two questions I have yet to find an answer on
No one has an adequate direct comparison of this intake to anything probably, let alone AMS. Who is going to buy multiple intakes, installs, and dynos to compare, besides maybe a shop, vendor, or magazine?

But no way they get you 15hp anywhere on the power curve over stock, let alone over AMS. Who or where was it claimed to?

If an intake can add an AVG 5WHP across powerband and reduce IATs even 1F AVG over stock I would say it is a successful intake. And that is honestly probably the most you can expect from any of them, and a high flow drop in filter will probably get you 70% of the potential gains.

The CZP video leaves a lot to be desired, like showing actual dyno graphs and/or at least AVG gain over stock across the entire powerband, not just peak numbers. The methods used for testing weren't ideal IMO either and they didn't have the AMS in the test.

You can always get a rain sock or rain guard for the air filters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Infiniti Performance Package on my '21 red sport that includes upgraded intakes. I love the sound they make, though its impossible to hear them from the inside except for when I launch hard from full stop with the windows down. I consider them a gift to everyone around me mostly ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts