Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the pleasure of owning a 2016 q50 redsport for about 3 years now and I’m approaching The 45,000 mileage mark . I bought The car with only 8,000 miles and with roughly 37,000 miles under my belt I I’ve had minimal issues. I blew out 2 tires with those garbage Dunlop run flats which I eventually replaced with some Michelin sports and I’ve had a Few sensors go bad which were replaced under warranty so in my own experience the car has definitely been reliable thus far .

Surfing through the forums I’ve noticed that most guys seem to be between 20-40,000 miles at the moment . Would like to hear from some of you owners that are over 50,000 miles if your out there . What issues or possible reliability issues should we expect if choosing to keep this car long term ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
29,000 right now. Belt squealing so replaced

Reactions: MrDemon400rs16

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not sure if my belt was ever replaced when I got it, but it was squealing under heavy loads.
Replaced it at 45K miles

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I pro-actively replaced my OEM serpentine belt with the Gates equivalent @ 25k miles.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 AWD Premium
265 Posts
37500 here.. belt/ac compressor bulletin/campaign performed. all fluids changed except trans.

i do have, however, a vibration from under the car i can't figure out (unsure if axle, driveshaft or unbalanced wheel)

other than normal maintenance, nothing outstanding as of yet (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Hybrid here. No belt! I just had to do that.🤓

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if my belt was ever replaced when I got it, but it was squealing under heavy loads.
Replaced it at 45K miles
I’ve had no belt issues either but I will definitely be changing out at 45,000

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
595 Posts
Im at 43k and I've had an issue with my AC blower only working on drivers side. Dealer fixed. I've had an issue with my screens blacking out but the dealer won't do anything until they can see it live even though I showed them a video. I've currently got an issue with my turbos showing oil in the outlets but again my dealer is useless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im at 43k and I've had an issue with my AC blower only working on drivers side. Dealer fixed. I've had an issue with my screens blacking out but the dealer won't do anything until they can see it live even though I showed them a video. I've currently got an issue with my turbos showing oil in the outlets but again my dealer is useless.
So i too have seen the screen blackout but it’s happened to me maybe 2-3 times in the almost 3 years I’ve had the car so I never addressed it....has the oil in the outlets affected performance at all ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
2017 Q50 Red Sport RWD currently at 79.3k miles.

I ran a JB1 +4 psi on 91 octane from 1.3k miles until 71.3k miles. Then I switched over to an EcuTek 19 psi tune on 91 octane from 71.3k miles until 77.4k miles. After that, I switched to PS2 Turbos with an EcuTek tune from 77.4k miles to 77.9k miles. Currently, my car has PS2 Turbos with an EcuTek 24 psi E60 tune from 77.9k miles to 79.3k miles.

My oil change intervals (OCIs) have been between 5k - 7k miles with dealer supplied 0W-20 up until I went with an EcuTek tune at 71.3k miles. I’ve switched over to 5W-30 since my car got tuned, and am now gonna do 3k mile OCIs with PS2 Turbos.

In-cabin air filters were replaced with OEM at 24k miles and 76k miles.

My car’s serpentine belt snapped at 29.5k miles. Under warranty, my dealership replaced the belt and tensioner idler pulley, and aligned the A/C compressor.

Rear brake pads were replaced and rear brake rotors were resurfaced at 57.9k miles.

Brake fluid was flushed and replaced at 65.1k miles.

There was an oil leak at the engine’s rear timing cover at 65.1k miles. Under warranty, a bunch of gaskets and seals were replaced to correct this.

Front brake pads were replaced and front brake rotors were resurfaced at 69.1k miles.

Windshield wipers were replaced at 70.5k miles.

New OEM NGK DILKAR8K8G spark plugs were installed at 70.5k miles.

Rear differential fluid and transmission fluid was drained and replaced with OEM fluids at 71.3k miles.

Under warranty, a bunch of gaskets and seals were replaced in and adjacent to the turbos at 71.3k miles.

New OEM Injectors and new OEM NGK DILKAR8K8G Spark Plugs were installed at 77.4k miles due to DTC CEL P0301 (Cylinder #1 misfire AKA injector failure due to AMS RA338 HPFP installation).

All in all, my experience with maintenance and warranty items on my car up to 79.3k miles has been minimal and relatively simple. I’ve experienced the 3 common issues with this car: serpentine belt failure, turbo seals going bad, and injector failure (although this is quite rare on stock cars). I did not provide my experience with tires and alignments, maintenance items, as I have aftermarket wheels and suspension. For more info about my aftermarket parts experience, click the link to my build thread below.

With all of the aftermarket parts that I have on my car, I’m hoping that my car will be reliable in the long run as long as I give my car sufficient cool-downs between WOT runs and keep up with regular maintenance items on a more strict interval.

For example:
3k miles OCIs
10k miles CRC GDI Intake and Valve Cleaner
15k miles spark plugs
15k miles rear differential fluid
Etc.

·
Registered
595 Posts
So i too have seen the screen blackout but it’s happened to me maybe 2-3 times in the almost 3 years I’ve had the car so I never addressed it....has the oil in the outlets affected performance at all ?
I don't believe so. Im tuned on Ecutek and the car makes pretty decent power. I'll have to keep an eye on the turbos or go to another dealer for evaluation.

I forgot that I replaced my plugs and rear diff fluid at 35k. Trans flush at 42k by the dealer.

I just bought a new serpentine belt that I'll replace in three next few weeks. No issue so far.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't believe so. Im tuned on Ecutek and the car makes pretty decent power. I'll have to keep an eye on the turbos or go to another dealer for evaluation.

I forgot that I replaced my plugs and rear diff fluid at 35k. Trans flush at 42k by the dealer.

I just bought a new serpentine belt that I'll replace in three next few weeks. No issue so far.
Yea I’m ecutek tuned also and have definitely keep eye and ear out for turbo issues ....was the trans flush scheduled or you requested the dealer To do so ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I ran a JB1 +4 psi on 91 octane from 1.3k miles until 71.3k miles. Then I switched over to an EcuTek 19 psi tune on 91 octane from 71.3k miles until 77.4k miles. After that, I switched to PS2 Turbos with an EcuTek tune from 77.4k miles to 77.9k miles. Currently, my car has PS2 Turbos with an EcuTek 24 psi E60 tune from 77.9k miles to 79.3k miles.

My oil change intervals (OCIs) have been between 5k - 7k miles with dealer supplied 0W-20 up until I went with an EcuTek tune at 71.3k miles. I’ve switched over to 5W-30 since my car got tuned, and am now gonna do 3k mile OCIs with PS2 Turbos.

My car’s serpentine belt snapped at 29.5k miles. Under warranty, my dealership replaced the belt and tensioner idler pulley, and aligned the A/C compressor.

Rear brake pads were replaced and rear brake rotors were resurfaced at 57.9k miles.

There was an oil leak at the engine’s rear timing cover at 65.1k miles. Under warranty, a bunch of gaskets and seals were replaced to correct this.

Front brake pads were replaced and front brake rotors were resurfaced at 69.1k miles.

Rear differential fluid and transmission fluid was drained and replaced with OEM fluids at 71.3k miles.

Under warranty, a bunch of gaskets and seals were replaced in and adjacent to the turbos at 71.3k miles.

New OEM Injectors and new OEM NGK DILKAR8K8G Spark Plugs were installed at 77.4k miles due to DTC CEL P0301 (Cylinder #1 misfire AKA injector failure due to AMS RA338 HPFP installation).

All in all, my experience with maintenance and warranty items on my car up to 79.3k miles has been minimal and relatively simple. I’ve experienced the 3 common issues with this car: serpentine belt failure, turbo seals going bad, and injector failure (although this is quite rare on stock cars). I did not provide my experience with tires and alignments, maintenance items, as I have aftermarket wheels and suspension. For more info about my aftermarket parts experience, click the link to my build thread below.

With all of the aftermarket parts that I have on my car, I’m hoping that my car will be reliable in the long run as long as I give my car sufficient cool-downs between WOT runs and keep up with regular maintenance items on a more strict interval.

For example:
3k miles OCIs
15k miles spark plugs
Etc.

For example:
3k miles OCIs
15k miles spark plugs
Etc.
Thank you for the detailed account of your ownership I think we all appreciate the time line you provided ......how has it been driving with the upgraded turbos ? 577 wheel is definitely goals . upgrading my turbos was actually my initial reason for this thread . I really wanted to know was the platform worth staying with long term and seeing the info you provided definitely makes me believe more in the platform then I did before

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yea I’m ecutek tuned also and have definitely keep eye and ear out for turbo issues ....was the trans flush scheduled or you requested the dealer To do so ?
They offered it and I approved. Given the torque that these motors produce after a tune I thought it was necessary to flush out the old fluid so the Transmission stays as happy as I can keep it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Only 29k right now, but only issue I had was a stuck injector. Fixed under warranty but they didn't replace all of them. So in the back of my mind, I hope the others don't do that. Was inconvenient under warranty and probably an expensive (parts) fix if DIY.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm at 71,900 miles and the issues i've had were the low pressure fuel pump getting weak at 26k, new rear brake pads at 46k, rear wheel speed sensor at 70k. I use the cheap Quaker State 5w30 oil and a Fram filter every 5k, and the oil level does not go down between oil changes.The stock runflats went 17k. General G-Max AS-05 went 18.5k. Continental DWS06 only made it 15.4k. And my favorite tires are the (Falken) Ohtsu FP0612, the first set lasted 19k and now on the second set that I paid $300 for a new set of 4 on Ebay. The tires are always replaced when they reach the wear bar indicators at 3/32 and rotated at 5k intervals. I bought the JB1 the first week it was released and have had it at +5.6 for about the past 2 years. I only use Amoco Ultimate 93 or BP 93 because with some other stations 93 I noticed hesitation. At the drag strip it runs [email protected] with no other mods. I did temporarily have FI CBE and ran [email protected] but then switched back to the quiet luxury that I enjoy. Completely stock it ran [email protected] It's a 2016 Blue Q50RS400AWD with DAS, lane assist, etc. and everything still works perfect. I do drive the car aggressively, accelerate full throttle every day as much as possible and I love to drive fast on curvy roads.

·
Registered
846 Posts

For example:
3k miles OCIs
15k miles spark plugs
Etc.
Great post! I would also like to thank you for such a detailed post.

I want to mention that there are so many anti-JB1/4 people out there that claims they are unreliable. Your beginning of the post is proof that JB1/4 is reliable. You had that on your vehicle for about 70K miles with no major issues besides regular maintenance.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thank you for the detailed account of your ownership I think we all appreciate the time line you provided ......how has it been driving with the upgraded turbos ? 577 wheel is definitely goals . upgrading my turbos was actually my initial reason for this thread . I really wanted to know was the platform worth staying with long term and seeing the info you provided definitely makes me believe more in the platform then I did before
The upgraded PS2 turbos on E60 have been a blast so far.

Per my dragy, I’ve done (32) 1/4 mile passes and (26) 60-130 mph passes with the PS2 turbos (100 octane and E60) - Mainly at the drag strip, and a few on the streets. Still running strong.

Most of my miles have been freeway miles - I‘d estimate 85%. My normal driving style is slightly aggressive half of the time when getting through freeway traffic - Speeding up to pass people up and quick lane changes, but I rarely cut people off unless they deserve it (left lane hogs that drive slow). I usually just cruise 5 to 15 mph above the speed limit when there’s not much traffic around or if I could follow another car that has the same thinking as me, mph-wise. I rarely ever hit WOT though (I don’t usually like to attract attention to myself and my car has plenty of power for regular daily driving activities), unless I get challenged from a random car and conditions are observably safe - So far, I haven’t lost to any random cars out on the streets yet with the PS2 turbos. And, I don’t ever do donuts or random burnouts (unless I’m at the drag strip’s water box before a 1/4 mile run).

Both power (594 whp, 11.1 sec @ 128 mph) and throttle response have been on point and what I was hoping for. My premonition of the PS2 turbos was that drivability and spool up time would suffer due to the increased sizes of the compressor and turbine wheels, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised - To me, throttle response / drivability / spool up time have not diminished whatsoever.
—————

Is this platform worth staying long term?

That’s sorta tough to answer... I’ll do my best to answer it based on my personal experience...

IMO, the answer is Yes and No.

YES, because the maintenance has been relatively cheap and easy. Personally, this is what I want out of my Q50 which it has done for me so far and has kept me satisfied: A comfortable grand touring sleeper with enough power (modded), with enough room for my daily driving duties, that’s relatively headache-free in owning it, and that’s able to satisfactorily drag race it - I’m sure plenty of other owners feel the same way. As long as you keep up with the maintenance (most important are oil changes), stay on top of warranty repairs while it’s under warranty, and don’t beat the living s h i t out of it, you should have a relatively pleasant experience like I have had (Besides when my car’s belt shredded in mid-2018. At that time, the belt issue wasn’t really a well-known problem, and I had gotten turned off from my car and went on a hiatus from the Q50/Q60 world for 1.5 years and picked up other hobbies lol).

NO, because if you’re looking for max effort all-out-performance for relatively cheap, then this platform just isn’t worth it IMO. I went way over my intended budget when I was building my car with PS2 turbos and its supporting mods on my RWD platform (I’ve said this plenty of times before - I wish I had an AWD). But, of course, if you have the funds for such a build and you love your Q50/Q60, then go for it! It’d be even more cost effective and satisfying if you could do most, if not all, of the labor yourself. I don’t regret upgrading to PS2 turbos and building my Q50 (actually, some regrets lol, but the positives far outweigh the negatives to me).

At one point before I installed the PS2 turbos, I was thinking about getting a second car to mod it for power and keep the Q50 relatively stock. But, for what I was looking at - 6th gen Camaro SS, MKV Supra, C7 Corvette, Audi S3/RS3 - I figured it’d be financially better for me to just full send it on my Q50 since I was 30k miles over-mileage on my lease (that’s a $7500 penalty if I were to return it to Infiniti and not trade it in). I also contemplated trading in my Q50 Red Sport RWD for a Q50 Sport 3.0T AWD, but never pulled through with any numbers from the dealer, oh well. My car’s been good to me 👍🏼

·
Registered
829 Posts
I want to mention that there are so many anti-JB1/4 people out there that claims they are unreliable. Your beginning of the post is proof that JB1/4 is reliable. You had that on your vehicle for about 70K miles with no major issues besides regular maintenance.
Yup. The JB1 was good to me for 70k miles. So much torque down low that I could actually feel. I was going to upgrade to a JB4, but at 28.5k miles (mid-2018), my belt snapped, so then I just rage quitted my Q50 altogether for 1.5 years. Then, at the beginning of this year, the mod bug bit me again... and, here I am today lol.

My car did hit limp mode a few different times on the JB1 +4psi on 91 octane though. It was probably due to heat soak though, since I had the OEM RS heat exchanger. My car would occasionally (rarely) hit limp mode after a few WOT runs against other random cars that challenged me in hot weather - NOT COOL (no pun intended), cuz then I’d have to take it easy afterwards even though the other car was egging me on lol. Or, it could have been my modified Stillen Intakes. Not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the pleasure of owning a 2016 q50 redsport for about 3 years now and I’m approaching The 45,000 mileage mark . I bought The car with only 8,000 miles and with roughly 37,000 miles under my belt I I’ve had minimal issues. I blew out 2 tires with those garbage Dunlop run flats which I eventually replaced with some Michelin sports and I’ve had a Few sensors go bad which were replaced under warranty so in my own experience the car has definitely been reliable thus far .

Surfing through the forums I’ve noticed that most guys seem to be between 20-40,000 miles at the moment . Would like to hear from some of you owners that are over 50,000 miles if your out there . What issues or possible reliability issues should we expect if choosing to keep this car long term ?
I've had my Q50 3.0 t for almost 2 years got it with 40000 miles on it now I have 83,000 and the only thing I've had to do is a A/C realignment untill two weeks ago it stored a transmission valve body code but no symptoms all in all I'm super happy with the car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts