Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned that as of last week in Ohio, they've increased the registration fees on hybrids and electrics. A hybrid will now pay $100 more and an electric $200 more per year. Our oh so intelligent governor says this is fair due to the gas tax hike and hybrids using less fuel than others..... I'd like to punch this guy in the face! I've heard 9 other states have followed this madness as well.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Madness indeed...the higher charge is not enough.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
In WA state, we don't differentiate gas vs hybrid vs electric in regards to annual registration fees. Instead, Sound Transit 3 passed a couple of years ago established a "RTA Tax" based on an inflated book value of your vehicle to determine the fee.

My fee in CY2020 for the '17 Q60? $542.25, of which $434.00 (RTA Tax) goes to the Sound Transit fund. It's purpose is to fund construction of light rail from Seattle to Everett by 2034, south to Tacoma, and east to Bellevue/Redmond. $54 billion project cost!!!

Will I ever use the Light Rail, based on where I live and my job location? No... but I'm supposed to be rewarded when all these vehicles come-off/stay-off I-5/I-405 because these trains are supposed to absorb the inevitable traffic increase due to population growth. Ha!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Our oh so intelligent governor says this is fair due to the gas tax hike and hybrids using less fuel than others.....
In WA state, the $0.49/gallon gas tax helps pay for highway maintenance, so the Tesla drivers are using the highway for free, I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
In WA state, the $0.49/gallon gas tax helps pay for highway maintenance, so the Tesla drivers are using the highway for free, I guess.
The current combined federal, state, and city gasoline taxes for Newport, Oregon is $0.54.4 per gallon. It sounds like the OP doesn't think hybrids and EVs should pay their fair share of taxes to use public roads. If anything, this is long overdue. If you use a public road, all vehicles (including bicycles) should pay their fair share of taxes for highway maintenance.

Oregon is quite the bicycle state and I see all the money being spent on bicycle paths, lanes, striping and signage yet an excise tax of only $15 is collected at the time of sale for bikes that cost over $200. What's frustrating is that the state collected only $77,000 in the first quarter of 2018 from this excise tax yet the cost to administer the tax cost $47,000. The revenue doesn't come close to what is being paid for these infrastructure improvements for bicycles. The city of Portland alone has spent about $60 million on a biking infrastructure to become BikeTown USA.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The current combined federal, state, and city gasoline taxes for Newport, Oregon is $0.54.4 per gallon.
With the added bonus of the "Gas Attendant Jobs Program", courtesy of the OR (& NJ) state governments... LOL

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
All US states have a gas tax that in some form with other states having supplementary taxes that you pay any time you go to fill up at the pump, that money goes directly into maintain the infrastructure and roadways. EV's don't require gas and thus not subject to this tax and hybrids typically require far less gas on average. Meaning they drive on public roads (while often being much heavier) without fairly contributing to the upkeep of them.

As more hybrid/EVs start being built funding will drop by massive margins and US infrastructure will get even worse.... A registration fee is a good way to combat this problem,
this is a good thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The current combined federal, state, and city gasoline taxes for Newport, Oregon is $0.54.4 per gallon. It sounds like the OP doesn't think hybrids and EVs should pay their fair share of taxes to use public roads. If anything, this is long overdue. If you use a public road, all vehicles (including bicycles) should pay their fair share of taxes for highway maintenance.

Oregon is quite the bicycle state and I see all the money being spent on bicycle paths, lanes, striping and signage yet an excise tax of only $15 is collected at the time of sale for bikes that cost over $200. What's frustrating is that the state collected only $77,000 in the first quarter of 2018 from this excise tax yet the cost to administer the tax cost $47,000. The revenue doesn't come close to what is being paid for these infrastructure improvements for bicycles. The city of Portland alone has spent about $60 million on a biking infrastructure to become BikeTown USA.
All US states have a gas tax that in some form with other states having supplementary taxes that you pay any time you go to fill up at the pump, that money goes directly into maintain the infrastructure and roadways. EV's don't require gas and thus not subject to this tax and hybrids typically require far less gas on average. Meaning they drive on public roads (while often being much heavier) without fairly contributing to the upkeep of them.

As more hybrid/EVs start being built funding will drop by massive margins and US infrastructure will get even worse.... A registration fee is a good way to combat this problem,
this is a good thing.
WA state just started charging a fee for hybrids of $75 annually and something a bit higher for full electric cars.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wisconsin also just implemented a hybrid penalty. An additional $75.00 on top of the base $85.00 for a total of $160.00 annual license fee. It wasn't very long ago that annual registration was $40.00.

Also increased the title fee from $69.50 to $164.50. Boy, am I glad that they opted not to raise any taxes. Because fees sound better.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

this is a good thing.
The problem I have with that logic is that my hybrid Infiniti uses about the same amount of fuel as a typical small displacement 4cyl. Why are they not penalized?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just learned that as of last week in Ohio, they've increased the registration fees on hybrids and electrics. A hybrid will now pay $100 more and an electric $200 more per year. Our oh so intelligent governor says this is fair due to the gas tax hike and hybrids using less fuel than others..... I'd like to punch this guy in the face! I've heard 9 other states have followed this madness as well.
You're dealing with the 2 biggest gangsters known to man State and Federal governments. I understand the argument for funding to maintain roads, but where I live they collect tons of taxes and everything is falling apart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like the OP doesn't think hybrids and EVs should pay their fair share of taxes to use public roads.
By that logic, we should charge an additional fee to those who don't buy as much as everyone else. I mean, they're paying less sales tax which go to help schools, roads, etc... Or how about people who don't drink? They're not helping pay any liquor taxes. I fill up my hybrid twice a week, spending way more on gas than most people. This is over 100% markup in fees, that's absurd.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
By that logic, we should charge an additional fee to those who don't buy as much as everyone else. I mean, they're paying less sales tax which go to help schools, roads, etc... Or how about people who don't drink? They're not helping pay any liquor taxes. I fill up my hybrid twice a week, spending way more on gas than most people. This is over 100% markup in fees, that's absurd.
I understand your complaint related to your specific hybrid and gas usage.

However, your analogies do not make sense. The fees for hybrids/EV's are to balance the fact that they are still USING the roads and infrastructure and are no longer collecting an amount of taxes for that usage. Liquor taxes, sales taxes are not created for maintaining liquor or sales items. They are true general fund type taxes. Gas taxes are primarily used to fund the maintenance and creation of roadways (usually). Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,094 Posts
Comparing sin taxes like alcohol and tobacco taxes to road-use taxes is comparing apples to oranges as damonb10 indicated. You have a choice whether to use those products and pay the associated taxes or not. We all have to use the same roads and don't have a choice in the matter. Transportation infrastructure is vital to our society in order to support the economy. It has to be maintained by taxes and all vehicles using those roads should pay their appropriate share of the taxes.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
The problem I have with that logic is that my hybrid Infiniti uses about the same amount of fuel as a typical small displacement 4cyl. Why are they not penalized?
Oh it's not a perfect solution by any means but 4-cylinder cars don't typically hit those 30mpg combined averages while weighing 4200lbs like the Q50.
Cars that manage that level of fuel economy are usually sub-compacts class and weigh around 2700-3000lbs.

More weight means more damage to the roadways over time, but in the past that was fine because weight had a negative effect on fuel economy
so people would end up spending more on gas as a result. But now thanks to hybrid technology manufactures are adding as much as 10% more weight but in return
are seeing Fuel economy improvements as high as 50-60%.

Meaning It's a loose-loose situation for the government when it comes to maintaining infrastructure and it's only going to get worse as hybrid technology improves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts