Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to buff out paint splatter from their vehicle. I was stuck in traffic traveling behind a waste management eighteen wheeler while it was dropping fluid out the back. There is minor black paint splatter all over my gray hood, side pillars and even on the roof. I tried googling some tricks, but nothing worked. Any ideas? I was thinking of taking it to a local detailing shop to see if they can buff/polish it out.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Another thing to try is a Magic Eraser. We have an expert detailer on here though that could give you the best advice. Reach out to @pdqgp

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Magic Eraser is the one I usually hear about, goo-begone may also work.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Another thing to try is a Magic Eraser. We have an expert detailer on here though that could give you the best advice. Reach out to @pdqgp

Best thing is a PLASTIC Razor Blade and some detail spray to act as lube. Make sure it's a fresh blade and you'll be fine. It should pop right off as you push the blade under it. Clay should take off the misc small specs.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My wife ran through a trail of paint on the roadway a few months after a paint can must have fallen off the back of a truck. She was driving our black Audi Allroad, and both left tires picked up the paint, the color which I nicknamed "Pink Panther", and flung it into the wheel wells, the gray cladding, and some of the black paint. After power washing what I could, I still had some paint splatter remaining.

I recall in my Honda motorcycle dealership days, the Service guys used Honda Contact/Brake Cleaner extensively, because this particular cleaner did not harm the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Contact-Brake-Cleaner/dp/B00864Q5QA

I picked some up, sprayed it on a paper towel, and then rubbed it on the paint splats. Little by little, the Pink Panther paint came off. I spent a long evening spraying paper towels with this Contact Cleaner, but eventually all the paint came off, and the original finish on the cladding and the body panels was not harmed. Unfortunately, the fabric fender liners had to be removed and replaced with new ones, as I could not get all the paint off the fabric. Additionally, the tires were nearly worn, and the rubber in the tread grooves held onto the paint, so I opted for four new tires.

YMMV - I'd try on a small area and see if it produces the same results as I experienced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up taking the car to a detailing shop and they were not able to remove the black substance from the paint. He tried to wet sand the substance out and stopped because he was afraid of ruining the paint. I then took it to a body shop and they couldn't remove it either and estimated 8k - 10k to repaint the car. I was going to deal with the black spots on the car, but the body shop said to call the insurance company and explain what happen. My insurance company said it was covered so I had the work done. Of course the insurance company estimated $4500 in damages, but the insurance company ended up paying out 11k after all the work was done.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I wonder what it was that the idiot threw away in the trash rather than take it to an approved hazardous waste facility? The amount of money that gets pissed away in the world due to stupidity and laziness must be astronomical.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,087 Posts
I wonder what it was that the idiot threw away in the trash rather than take it to an approved hazardous waste facility? The amount of money that gets pissed away in the world due to stupidity and laziness must be astronomical.
Are you just now coming to that conclusion?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts