Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just wanted to make sure I don't have an unusual situation with my car.

Whenever I hit a pothole pretty hard, in addition to cursing myself out, I get a beep and the nanny tech features say 'disabled'. I just have to press the button on the steering wheel to have them come back but it's happened a few times so I just wanted to make sure it's normal.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nanny tech??

Have no idea what you mean by "nanny tech". What specifically disabled when you hit the pothole?

[edit]
Judging by the thread you must mean the lane keeping feature. Yes, hitting a pot hole probably would turn it off because DAS is evaluating the road inputs to decide how to feed back to the steering. A big jolt like that would send an input spike to the software that's probably being treated as bad data and shutting down the lane keeping feature.

I didn't buy into the tech package and I'm glad I didn't.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey everyone. Just wanted to make sure I don't have an unusual situation with my car.

Whenever I hit a pothole pretty hard, in addition to cursing myself out, I get a beep and the nanny tech features say 'disabled'. I just have to press the button on the steering wheel to have them come back but it's happened a few times so I just wanted to make sure it's normal.

Thanks in advance!!
I have had this happen twice. Seems normal given the eccentric nature of the features of this car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think you need to treat yourselves as nanni driver then you won't have the situation but I would talk to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep - the tech features you turn on with the steering wheel button.

I think the jostling takes the system out of calibration for a split second so they turn off as a safety precaution. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't only on my Q. Seems normal to me as we'll, just thought I'd ask.

Reactions: KevinW

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe this is actually by design. If you are on an uneven road, for instance, the returns from the radar system and the camera that reads the lanes would be garbled. So, if it detects major bumps, it turns the system off.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe this is actually by design. If you are on an uneven road, for instance, the returns from the radar system and the camera that reads the lanes would be garbled. So, if it detects major bumps, it turns the system off.
I think that's right. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one experiencing this.

It's actually quite impressive how virtually instantaneous the reaction is. That actually shows how fast the system processes input.

As I said, as long as it's normal I'd rather just press the steering wheel button to reactivate the system than have it performing differently than intended.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes, happens to me as well. also turns off certain "nanny tech" features if vdc/traction control is engaged, or abs.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Obviously, you've never driven in the N.E. Though he's in PA, he's close to the state with the worst roads in the country(IMO). For those in NJ, my sympathy.:D
I must be in the second worst state. Plus, there is a LOT of construction with very thin lanes and a lot of traffic restricting the ability to swerve to avoid the myriad of potholes.

It's so bad, they even have a hotline to call to report potholes. Not sure if other states have this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This happened twice on my drive home from work tonight. I didn't hit any pot holes, but I hit a rough patch of road on the highway, and when exciting the highway, both times disabling the driver aids.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This happened twice on my drive home from work tonight. I didn't hit any pot holes, but I hit a rough patch of road on the highway, and when exciting the highway, both times disabling the driver aids.
You excited the highway? Did that make it smoother?

·
Registered
183 Posts
of course he excited the highway, he was bombing in a Q50 don't ya know ;)

Did you notice any niggles with DAS after? I know you said it turns of the nannies and re-calibrates, does it fully re calibrate DAS as well?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
of course he excited the highway, he was bombing in a Q50 don't ya know ;)

Did you notice any niggles with DAS after? I know you said it turns of the nannies and re-calibrates, does it fully re calibrate DAS as well?
Knock on wood - once they go unavailable, I've just been able to press the steering wheel button and they all turn right back on with no issues thereafter. They all seem to reset appropriately.

So far, the only issues I've experienced at all have been lockups (NO updates installed yet) on a few rare occasions.

No problems with sensors, steering,wheel lock, pulling rights etc. Counting myself as a lucky one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I haven't had this happen on rough roads yet but I did have the "nanny tech" disable when I took a turn "too fast" (twice actually). I saw it as a positive as I just assumed the system couldn't keep up or something and left it up to me.

I don't normally have the "nanny tech" on when I am driving in a spirited fashion but occasionally there is some overlap. :D

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WTH is a nanny tech?
The safety options with the tech package that require you to press a button on the steering wheel to activate. Example:forward collision warning, lane departure alert.

Reactions: vbx
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.