Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the HKS axleback or the Infiniti Axleback. I like the HKS exhaust tips and turn Downs on the Helmholtz mufflers option. But the price is $225 more than the Infiniti Axleback. Anybody heard or have the HKS exhaust? Or happen to have heard both?

Thx

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I am trying to decide between the HKS axleback or the Infiniti Axleback. I like the HKS exhaust tips and turn Downs on the Helmholtz mufflers option. But the price is $225 more than the Infiniti Axleback. Anybody heard or have the HKS exhaust? Or happen to have heard both?

Thx
Are you looking for just more sound? Axlebacks provide essentially no increase in HP or torque. I've heard of both and have HKS resonated lower downpipes. If I were you, I'd save up my money and buy a catback exhaust instead. More sound AND power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly for sound. For what I've read Catback on RS cars don't boost creep, so only 13 whp and 14 ft lbs with Catback. I plan to do HKS resonated lower DP also in a few months.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Thx
HKS is super quiet exhaust. Even with the turn downs opened. I'd still get the HKS for the performance benefit over the axleback.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts

Thx
I had the Infiniti Hemlholtz axle-back for a few months. Most of my driving to and from work was in town between 1500 and 2500 RPM. I hated it. I sold it and went back to stock muffler. I'm old and hard of hearing and still thought it was too loud. Besides, women are not impressed by loud exhaust. Neither are your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I had the Infiniti Hemlholtz axle-back for a few months. Most of my driving to and from work was in town between 1500 and 2500 RPM. I hated it. I sold it and went back to stock muffler. I'm old and hard of hearing and still thought it was too loud. Besides, women are not impressed by loud exhaust. Neither are your neighbors.
Impossibaru

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have only the Helmholtz axleback? Everything else stock?

Yes. HKS makes the full cat back also. It's much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well. I ordered the HKS axleback. Should be here Friday.
Where'd you order? Cost?
Please report back regarding the dual vs quad exhaust sound. Very curious!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
$900 for an axle back. Oh man, that hurts!

·
Registered
5,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looking around, $900 is actually a good deal. The Axle Back appears to be on sale at Concept Z. However, so is the HKS full Cat Back, albeit $1650. You might have considered a full CB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it primarily for sound. I found an MBRP full CBE for $977. But decided I want to keep it tame, but sound at least deeper and sportier than stock. I can add a Takeda midpipe y pipe combo to complete the catback down the road if I feel the need. I'll probably order the HKS downpipe to go with this axleback. I think that's were the biggest power increase is found. Along with more boost. I'll be doing a Racechip RS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A Tanabe mid and y will run close to another $1000. I REALLY suggest you try to modify your order and get a full CBE. You know you’re going to eventually anyway and especially if you’re already talking lower downpipes. And it would be a much better flowing system to have a full HKS as it was designed over mating different pieces together. I’m pretty sure HKS doesn’t offer mid or y stand-alone so you’re only alternative is Tanabe or Megan Y, or AFE combo for $870. And again, cheaper. Full hks is less than the axle back plus Tanabe mid and y of AFR variant. Take it from me, someone who threw close to $1500 down the drain not going with the right exhaust the first go around.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
A Tanabe mid and y will run close to another $1000. I REALLY suggest you try to modify your order and get a full CBE. You know you’re going to eventually anyway and especially if you’re already talking lower downpipes. And it would be a much better flowing system to have a full HKS as it was designed over mating different pieces together. I’m pretty sure HKS doesn’t offer mid or y stand-alone so you’re only alternative is Tanabe or Megan Y, or AFE combo for $870. And again, cheaper. Full hks is less than the axle back plus Tanabe mid and y of AFR variant. Take it from me, someone who threw close to $1500 down the drain not going with the right exhaust the first go around.
^
NCB, this is good advice. Also, please do consider a BMS JB4 instead of the Racechip. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts