Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
63 Posts
After calling two shops and getting a "no" I'm going to try a DIY install of these hopefully this weekend if weather is good. Already have HKS LDPs just sitting here, PB Blaster, RTV gasket maker, torque wrench. Have on order to be delivered Friday: jack stands, O2 sensor socket, misc. socket extensions, case of Bud Light. Plan is to install these on stock exhaust then to add CBE later. A few quick questions:

1. Can/should I use PB Blaster on O2 sensors (concern would be fouling them)?
2. Should I use RTV and the supplied gaskets, or use one or the other (and which)?
3. Is the "crushable" o-ring gasket re-usable (sounds kinda like it's not)?
4. Is RTV easily removable when I and/or shop puts on rest of CBE later?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,440 Posts
After calling two shops and getting a "no" I'm going to try a DIY install of these hopefully this weekend if weather is good. Already have HKS LDPs just sitting here, PB Blaster, RTV gasket maker, torque wrench. Have on order to be delivered Friday: jack stands, O2 sensor socket, misc. socket extensions, case of Bud Light. Plan is to install these on stock exhaust then to add CBE later. A few quick questions:

1. Can/should I use PB Blaster on O2 sensors (concern would be fouling them)?
2. Should I use RTV and the supplied gaskets, or use one or the other (and which)?
3. Is the "crushable" o-ring gasket re-usable (sounds kinda like it's not)?
4. Is RTV easily removable when I and/or shop puts on rest of CBE later?
1. Only if you need it but I doubt you'll foul a sensor if you're just soaking the threads.
2. I used both.
3. No.
4. A scraper should take RTV off.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
63 Posts
1. Only if you need it but I doubt you'll foul a sensor if you're just soaking the threads.
2. I used both.
3. No.
4. A scraper should take RTV off.

Got it, thank you Sir!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,440 Posts
An independent exhaust shop would probably be more willing to do the install than a dealership.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
63 Posts
Right, didn't even ask the dealership. Talked to performance shop and everyday muffler shop and both shot me down. Figure I'll give it a go. Worst case, I could hopefully put it back together OEM (famous last words). Well, worst case really I tip it off the jack stands trying get bolts loose...

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Right, didn't even ask the dealership. Talked to performance shop and everyday muffler shop and both shot me down. Figure I'll give it a go. Worst case, I could hopefully put it back together OEM (famous last words). Well, worst case really I tip it off the jack stands trying get bolts loose...
spray the PB day before...let it soak overnight.

·
Registered
482 Posts
1. Shouldn’t be necessary, I only sprayed exhaust bolts. 02 sensors came out easy.
2. I only used gaskets, instructions don’t say to use rtv. I’ve only ever used gaskets on exhaust components never rtv, never had any issues.
3. All gaskets for install where provided.
4. Not hard, but revert to answer 2.

Reactions: Sleeper2017

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,858 Posts
1. Shouldn’t be necessary, I only sprayed exhaust bolts. 02 sensors came out easy.
2. I only used gaskets, instructions don’t say to use rtv. I’ve only ever used gaskets on exhaust components never rtv, never had any issues.
3. All gaskets for install where provided.
4. Not hard, but revert to answer 2.
^ This is the same with me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
^ This is the same with me.
Same with me.

Just some tips from my job:
  • O2 sens were a bitch to remove, but I live in the rust belt and did not use any PB. I had to put the cats in a vice and crank away, even lifting my work bench at some points
  • Use PB on every bolt, even hit them a day before you do your job and day of. Should make easy work.
  • Make sure you have the right length of extensions to hit the bolts from the engine bay. You can use electrical tape to hold these and the sockets together because it sucks trying to line them up and having them disconnect. You may need a swivel socket adapter for a couple of them due to the angles.
  • AWD is a bitch getting to the O2 sens pig tail on the passenger side while your car is up on jack stands. I have thick average length arms and could not get my hand to the connection. I had to remove the cat before I could get to it amd it is jusy as hard connecting it.
Finally if you haven't seen this, I used CZP's video for study and instruction on the job. Give this a watch and follow along as you do your job.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Also since you are getting a CBE, you might want to wait to do it all together and save a ton of money. I have never done any exhaust work in my life other than cutting some mufflers off a kids car in high school auto. I was able to do both LDP and CBE same day by myself over the course of 10hrs (with meal breaks and walking the dog). Worst parts were removing OEM exhaust from the rubber hanger and the passenger LDP.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Also since you are getting a CBE, you might want to wait to do it all together and save a ton of money. I have never done any exhaust work in my life other than cutting some mufflers off a kids car in high school auto. I was able to do both LDP and CBE same day by myself over the course of 10hrs (with meal breaks and walking the dog). Worst parts were removing OEM exhaust from the rubber hanger and the passenger LDP.
There is almost no shared work. Only 4 bolts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Same with me.

Just some tips from my job:
  • O2 sens were a bitch to remove, but I live in the rust belt and did not use any PB. I had to put the cats in a vice and crank away, even lifting my work bench at some points
  • AWD is a bitch getting to the O2 sens pig tail on the passenger side while your car is up on jack stands. I have thick average length arms and could not get my hand to the connection. I had to remove the cat before I could get to it amd it is jusy as hard connecting it.
i got 02 pretty easy with a 3ft breaker bar and LDP laying on floor using the floor and my offhand as counter leverages.

I don’t think any size arm can reach up and get 02 sensor with awd and stock cats. Standard procedure for awd is to remove ldp from hangers then unclip 02.
But for some reason the cable wasn’t long enough to plug back in with hks ldp not installed, so had to install it first then with feet facing to rear of car using left hand there is one small path to get your hand up to the plug and blindly plug in with one hand. It was a PITA and plenty of scrapes but i got it.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Reactions: Kizzle2

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Or just buy a QuickJack. Really good deals out there, including Costco:

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5,000lb.-slx-capacity-portable-car-lift-bundle.product.100666851.html

On my Q60, I've used the QJ for tire rotations, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, exhaust upgrades, and d/s upgrade. It has saved me quite a pesos vs. having a dealer or independent shop perform the work.
Do you have any pics of your Q raised on the quick jacks? I've had my eye on these and curious how high they lift and how much accessibility to the underside there is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you have any pics of your Q raised on the quick jacks? I've had my eye on these and curious how high they lift and how much accessibility to the underside there is.
I too would like to see some pics because this thing looks awesome!

Also how is it storing that thing? My garage space is pretty limited, but I'm building a shed in the spring, so some space will be clearing up haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is almost no shared work. Only 4 bolts.
Yeah I only wanted to put my car up once to do it and wanted to replace all gaskets at one time. Plus I bought my LDPs on black friday and FI CBE in January, so there was no rush to put it on in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Here ya go:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Also how is it storing that thing? My garage space is pretty limited, but I'm building a shed in the spring, so some space will be clearing up haha.
I mounted the QJ hangers to the adjacent studs in the garage.

The lifting platforms have wheels at one end, so you can maneuver from the storage location to the area under the car fairly easily. I coil-up the hydraulic lines, keep them together with long zipties, and then hang them over the wall hangers for storage. I also zip-tie the power pack pendant (controller) and the power cord, and then store the power pack on a shelf in another part of the garage. After I finish the garage walls and epoxy the garage floor, I'll likely construct or procure a shelf to store the power pack near the lifting platforms.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I mounted the QJ hangers to the adjacent studs in the garage.
View attachment 97589
The lifting platforms have wheels at one end, so you can maneuver from the storage location to the area under the car fairly easily. I coil-up the hydraulic lines, keep them together with long zipties, and then hang them over the wall hangers for storage. I also zip-tie the power pack pendant (controller) and the power cord, and then store the power pack on a shelf in another part of the garage. After I finish the garage walls and epoxy the garage floor, I'll likely construct or procure a shelf to store the power pack near the lifting platforms.
Clean setup. I almost pulled the trigger but now I’m saving for this, once my house is done and i can move in.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
261 - 280 of 284 Posts